Gibson Brands Forums

Old vs new - I want the truth!

AndyK

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

The truth. There are great, good, not so good & bad Guitars... From every era. IMO, no 2 Guitars are exactly the same.. Although, modern Guitars are more consistent... 

If you could go out & try 3 LP’s from ‘59, ‘67, ‘97, ‘15 or 2021 you’ll find you like one of each better than the others.. Why? Who knows? It just is...

Most times I hold a guitar before I buy it, but not always. If its a dog it goes. 

I could nit-pick a thing or two about my new Standard (and God knows I've taken up enough of your time doing that - appreciate your patience), but the tone surpasses anything I've ever heard before. So I'm not sure a guitar has to age 60 years to sound great. 

My 1959 Gibson ES345 sounded better than any of the many Guitars I’ve owned over the years & the thousands I have played.. It is not a myth..

My current 335 & LP’s sound almost as good... But, you do have to try them out...

Not all Guitars are created equal... Old or New....

56 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

My 1959 Gibson ES345 sounded better than any of the many Guitars I’ve owned over the years & the thousands I have played.. It is not a myth..

My current 335 & LP’s sound almost as good... But, you do have to try them out...

Not all Guitars are created equal... Old or New....

Maybe you miss my point.   They "myth" part is what says anything built before 1965 (or name your favorite year) is just better.

What I'm saying is this is simply not true.  Sure there are some rally GREAT vintage examples,, no doubt about it.   but that is not a rule that applies to all.

I'm glad you have the 59 to enjoy tho, I would love to try it!

26 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Maybe you miss my point.   They "myth" part is what says anything built before 1965 (or name your favorite year) is just better.

What I'm saying is this is simply not true.  Sure there are some rally GREAT vintage examples,, no doubt about it.   but that is not a rule that applies to all.

I'm glad you have the 59 to enjoy tho, I would love to try it!

Even with my small mind I understood the point you were trying to drive home.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Now I'm confused is old good or bad? Please tell me what to think. I can't do that for myself it makes my brain hurt.

The point is, you gotta try ‘em before you buy ‘em..... No matter what year...

Aural memory is transitory.  

I like to think that my early 70s SG Standard roared like the Gods and the Heavens parted when played through a Marshall stack.

Did it really?  I can't honestly say, I'd have to A/B it to a current model to know for sure.  

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Aural memory is transitory.  

I like to think that my early 70s SG Standard roared like the Gods and the Heavens parted when played through a Marshall stack.

Did it really?  I can't honestly say, I'd have to A/B it to a current model to know for sure.  

You got the good s-hit and you know it and listen to Zappa. Its a win win in my book. And have killer stereo equipment. 

• Haha 1

The original question is a fair one, but the answers will always be found to be relative to a subjective feeling regarding certain memories, ownership, years of gigging with one or the other, a borrowing, and/or something we saw played on stage at some point in history. 

I don't think there is an objective, scientific standard regarding the relative merits of an old Gibson SG versus a brand new Gibson Les Paul Modern. 
But there are such standards when comparing a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air versus a 2021 Chevrolet Malibu. 
Any reasonable man of science would hasten to separate the romance of nostalgia and boutique valuations from the hard facts of demonstrated, measurable, repeatable performance. 

I tend to lean toward the opinions of a man like rct who spent years gigging and playing everything under the sun, but also value the viewpoint of Larsongs who brings a slightly different take on the subject. 

As for myself, I'm not much help here. 
The oldest Gibson Les Paul I ever owned was from the early 1970's, and I sold it when I went off to the Army, just because my future ex-wife convinced me that we needed the money. 

The lesson here?
a. Don't ever sell an old Gibson Les Paul
and, 
b.  Don't ever marry anyone who would have you sell a really boss 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold-top, in order to finish off the car payments for a 1974 Ford Pinto. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

😔

Edited by sparquelito

Apologies if I my point was unclear.. 

Basically, there were great Vintage Guitars & there were crap Vintage Guitars.. There were great later year Guitars & there were later year Guitars that were crap.. There are great new Guitars & there new Guitars that are crap... 

Even the same year, make & model can & do vary.. No 2 are exactly the same......

When you play a really good Guitar you will know...... It’s magic..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

Those few guitars from the 50s or 60s that have become desirable vintage collectibles, are likely exceptionally well build instruments, for whatever reason. Maybe the person glueing or fitting the neck had a really good night sleep, or this one special guitar was just the first one made that week. Who knows. There are many more guitars from that era that didn't survive, simply because they were lousy, or just average instruments. It is not that every Gibson or Fender from those years survived and is still being played today, because not every one was exceptional. After Clapton lost his Beano LP, he said he tried many but never found one that was as good as his first Burst. Quality was probably more variable back in the day and we only see those superbly built instruments to stand the test of time. 

There are likely fewer duds in modern production lines and more guitars from a build series will likely last longer than those back in the day. 

As for sound, do the old ones sound better? I'm sure there would be more production models from those years around, if they sounded great. 

• Like 1

My pal is a bassist. He has some terrific 60's fender basses. They really are exceptionally good.

My experience: I had a early 70s strat. It wasn't much good when I bought it, but it was my only electric guitar so I played it every day. When I traded it in 25 years later (90s) it was still not much good. Wherever it is now it will be worth a bunch of money. 

Do you think it will be any good by now?

I can’t believe y’all... you all know that owning a beat to hell guitar from iconic Gibson with flat frets with little to no life on them, bent bridge, broken tuners, and a broken case to transport it plays better than any guitar ever... what’s with you all! Remember, it’s vintage!

• Haha 1

One of my friends let me borrow an L series Mustang for a while and I hated the neck but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t by far the best sounding Fender I’ve ever played. It had a voice that seemed to make any note or chord sound good. 

As I said before though I’ve never played an old Gibson that I like as much as my brand new Les Paul. That’s more of a testament to the amazing fretwork and electronics that Gibson is doing these days 

• Like 2

I own several Gibson guitars over the years.

I've played a few 50's and 60's , and some were great and some were meh.

I own several Gibson LP's and a few 33X guitars.

My 2 best Gibson guitars are my '80 "Jimmy Wallace" '58RI "Prototype and my '83 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Dot.

They are 2 of the best guitars of those particular models I've played.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50017221813_c1e02223ba_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50280381061_0332c99b9d_b.jpg[/img]

Edited by Texsunburst59