Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Bob Dylan Last Night

Frances50

I saw Bob Dylan at the North Charleston (SC) Performing Arts last night (4/17). I've never seen him before so I'm not sure what his concerts were like in his younger days. He never interacted with the audience, didn't introduce his band (which was very good). No introduction, he just came out, sang for an hour and said, "we'll be back in a few minutes." Band walked off the stage for 15 minutes, then he came back, played 45 minutes. Did one encore and was gone. He only played one song that I knew "Tangled Up In Blue" and I found most of his lyrics were extremely hard to understand. I found myself waiting for the concert to be over. I've been to lots of concerts and I've never seen a performer who didn't interact with the audience at all. Oh, and he never played "Lay Lady Lay" which was the song I really wished he'd sing. I can mark him off my bucket list. Glad I went but wouldn't go back.

Yup... I saw him a few years back with Mark Knopfler..

Needless to say.. Mark was AMAZING... then Dylan came on and I experienced the same as you .., Couldn't understand a word he said and he didn't seem to care if the audience was there or not... POOR!! Me and the friend I was with actually walked out before the end.... It really was that bad.

I saw the guy several times through the years with good bands, with cruddy bands, and with mediocre bands. He was always disappointing, yet due to his legend and my deep abiding love for his first 20 years of recordings, I kept going back.

Finally saw him in 1989 with a 3 piece led by GE Smith. They came out and SMOKED! I couldn't believe how great they were. Dylan was out there like he was Buddy Holly. He was moving the band along with a manic and frenetic rhythm guitar that was amazing. He stood center stage legs apart like a gunfighter and simply tore through a brief but outstanding set, followed by an acoustic set of true obscurities, and then another powerhouse electric set. I felt like I finally got to experience the true legend in action.

I swore right then and there I would never again see him and tarnish the memory of this amazing gig, and I never have.

Hearing recordings of his recent concerts have only left me cringing. I'm sorry to hear the turned in such a weak performance for you.

... Oh, and he never played "Lay Lady Lay" which was the song I really wished he'd sing. ...

That's fully understood. I think it is one of his best songs ever, and he performed it with lots of voice.

Another Dylan favourite of mine is Hurricane.

I saw him in 1969 at the Isle of Wight, at Blackbushe 1978 and at Earls Court a couple years later.

The 1st 2 times were impressive to say the least; his performance at Blackbushe was like the return of a Messiah.

I can believe what FZ says - "his voice is shot".....'What voice??' as one famous guitarist is reputed to have said in the '70s.

But then I haven't heard his 'Sinatra' album yet. [flapper]

if it wasn't for someone inventing this 'bucket list' cr@p (which in turn is probably part of the current day "look at what I did" ethos) then I reckon most of these 'legend' concert tour tickets would be way, way cheaper, cos they aren't trading on the greatness of the performance. Many won't care cos that wasn't their reason for going anyway. (just IMO and to each his own)

if it wasn't for someone inventing this 'bucket list' cr@p (which in turn is probably part of the current day "look at what I did" ethos) then I reckon most of these 'legend' concert tour tickets would be way, way cheaper, cos they aren't trading on the greatness of the performance. Many won't care cos that wasn't their reason for going anyway. (just IMO and to each his own)

I'm 60 and I think it's really great that the bands and artists that I loved from the late 60's, 70's and early 80's are still touring. When I was 20, I could barely afford to eat beans and rice and although I'm not rich now, I can easily afford to go to some of the concerts. And I've been to a lot of them. I go on the KISS Kruise every year which sails out of Miami. I love it. Also learned to play the guitar (still learning) and I'm having a great time. Dylan's ticket really wasn't that expensive but I was a little disappointed (although I had been warned). Of course you expect that the artists won't be the same as they were in the 70's (I'm not the same). But it was disappointing that this icon was just not audience friendly. Everyone around me was having a great time and I was thinking I was missing something. Oh well, on to another concert. I'm seeing the Stones in July in Raleigh.

I agree 100% I had the same experience about 4 years ago this was probably the second worst and disappointing concert for me ever and I have see over 300 of them in my life...the only one that was as bad was the Rolling Stones on the Some Girls Tour they were awful.

I've been to many concerts from 1967, and on. I don't go to see the bands etc. from back then, for the same reason I never went to high school reunions over the years. I'd just like to remember how the bands were in their prime, and remember my high school classmates, young, stupid as the day is long about life, and full of promise to make a difference.

I've been to many concerts from 1967, and on. I don't go to see the bands etc. from back then, for the same reason I never went to high school reunions over the years. I'd just like to remember how the bands were in their prime, and remember my high school classmates, young, stupid as the day is long about life, and full of promise to make a difference.

Yes, an excellent post indeed.

....."young, stupid as the day is long about life, and full of promise to make a difference."

Very evocative.

There was a segment in the Wall Street Journal morning radio program about 4 years ago on this. Asking the question, "Should Dylan quit touring"?

In which they stated that his diminishing voice and apparent lack of interest in even attempting to put on a good show was increasingly causing fans to leave his concerts with one word on their lips. RIPOFF.

I posted about it on various guitar forums I was a member of then. And was amazed that the general consensus was that it was perfectly OK for him to continue touring and giving horrible performances. "Artistic License" being the principle argument. "They're HIS songs and he has every right to perform them in any manner he chooses" was the common comment. Several reported that just being in the presence of Mr Dylan was worth the price of admission. Even if he farted the lyrics through a Kazoo.

I suppose time will come when he has ripped off enough people that he will have to play increasingly smaller venues.

I saw him back in the 80's with Petty, Saw him a half a dozen times since. I know I am in the minority here, but Dylan gets a pass. The older I get ( 48 ) now.

Dylan along with McCartney could eat babies before their shows, and I give them both a pass. [biggrin]

Archived