Gibson Brands Forums

First album you bought for yourself - be honest

flatbaroque

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My memory may be playing tricks on me, since I must have bought a few cassette tapes before I bought a CD player--and maybe my memory isn't so much playing tricks on me as it is protecting me from embarrassment. But the first two albums that I can remember purchasing for myself were the two CDs that I purchased when I bought a portable stereo with a CD player: Legend and Are You Experienced. This must have been sometime around 1988.

220px-BobMarley-Legend.jpg

220px-Are_You_Experienced_-_US_cover-edit.jpg

The first album I, myself purchased, was a 45 RPM EP by Elvis Presley on RCA known at the time as an "extended play". One of my "earliest albums" I recall, would be a 78 RPM 4 record bakelite set by Gene Autry, we still listen to it on occasion. I know this may be just what not you're looking for. Don't forget, you were, and your folks and grandparents were conceived listening to an "old bakelite" record!

The first album I, myself purchased, was a 45 RPM EP by Elvis Presley on RCA known at the time as an "extended play". One of my "earliest albums" I recall, would be a 78 RPM 4 record bakelite set by Gene Autry, we still listen to it on occasion. I know this may be just what not you're looking for. Don't forget, you were, and your folks and grandparents were conceived listening to an "old bakelite" record!

Not sure why you'd say "not what you're looking for"...the Gene Autry is exactly the sort of thing I like to hear about.This is a broad church here.

1438452477[/url]' post='1681509']

It was a folk compilation of Elekra artists. Don't remember the title anymore. The best compilation I ever bought was Folksong 65 on Elektra.

I had 2 of them. The String Band Project. And The Blues Project. ( not the band of the same name, a compilation of guys like Dave Van Ronk.) while I can't remember the first album I purchased, that one was the single most "formative" to my musical journey.

I remember this one well. It's the album that piqued my interest in music, got my attention and transformed me from a casual listener to whatever was on ...

Pink Floyd's DSOTM.

My 7th grade art teacher put the album on during one period while we were .... I don't even remember what we were doing that day. I walked out of that classroom a different person that day.

It was a folk compilation of Elekra artists. Don't remember the title anymore. The best compilation I ever bought was Folksong 65 on Elektra.

There was also the very cool blues compilation on Elektra called What's Shakin'.

Artists included: The Lovin' Spoonful, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Al Kooper, Eric Clapton & the Powerhouse, and Tom Rush.

Bought the album back in the '60s, and then found it available a few years ago on CD. Lots of memorable stuff!

Hi mine was Ralph Mc Tell "Right Side Up " kept this in my guitar room for ages on the wall , then last year or so Ralph came to the Island and we saw him in concert , wonderful evening after the show we had the pleasure of meeting him and he kindly signed the cover for us .

Others as follows

Piledriver Status Quo

Made in Japan Deep Purple

Aladdin Sane David Bowie

Mine has been the Cube/Fly Records 2 LP compilation "Pop History Vol 27 T. Rex" containing about the half Tyrannosaurus Rex tracks and looking like this:

R-2069497-1313628722.jpeg.jpg67319_1_300.jpg

Yes I also a T Rex LP Electric Warrior , I used to think how cool that LP cover was , this was the the time when I was saving up for my first amp a Sound City Slider !!! Together with my Rapier 33 .

Elvis Presley's first album. The one with the iconic picture of Presley month open full strum on his leather covered Martin with ELVIS PRESLEY down the side. It cost 21 shillings that's £1.05 I had some savings and my dad and grandfather gave my the rest. I sold all my vinyls this year. Pity I should have kept that one.

Archived