Gibson Brands Forums

First album you bought for yourself - be honest

flatbaroque

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably Beatles, Meet The. I remember being struck by the cover photo, very much out of the ordinary. I had a Flat and Scrugs album in HS, but I cannot recall my first blues album (you fellas who know my current tastes might be amused-- it took a while for that light bulb to go off).

My first album was Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction which I got in 1991 when I was just 7 years of age after hearing their version of Live & Let Die and thinking it was amazing. My Mum wouldn't let me get the Illusions (which Live & Let Die was on) as they had warning stickers on, but for some reason Appetite had no warning sticker so she let me get that one instead! Loved it straight away and managed to get copies of the Illusions through my older sisters friends lol.

The thread has bought back a LOT of really good memory's and reasons why I love the guitar so much . Had a look through our record collection and I'll add a few more .

Queen a Night at the Opers

Nearly Every Olvia Newton John Record

John Denvers Greatest Hits

Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill

But I wonder what song made you go out and take up the guitar in the first place , mine was Apache by the Shadows and the acoustic guitar, Streets of London by Ralph Mc Tell [thumbup]

• 3 months later...

The first album I ever purchased for myself was Elvis Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite. And that is still my favorite album or a close tie with RUSH - Moving Pictures. The first album I ever owned was The Eagles - The Long Road, as I won it via a boardwalk game in Wildwood, NJ.

My first was Derek and the Dominoes, and I bought it mainly for Layla. Still have it 50 years later and it's still one of my favorite songs. I like both the original and the acoustic versions. At 69 years old, I still likes me some Clapton.

My first was Derek and the Dominoes, and I bought it mainly for Layla. Still have it 50 years later and it's still one of my favorite songs. I like both the original and the acoustic versions. At 69 years old, I still likes me some Clapton.

The song Layla is 50 years old? 1965 was 50 years ago?

I need to go lie down or have a drink....

I bought "Rubber Soul" for my then-girlfriend for Christmas, 1965. I was a freshman in college and she must have been a senior in high school. Alas, as so often happens, we split up shortly thereafter. Long-distance romances are hard to maintain when you're 18 years old. Not sure if that was the first album I ever bought, but it was certainly the first I bought for anyone else.

Ironically, I just remembered she was the girl I was out on a date with when I first heard the Beatles, I guess in February, 1964. I only remember that because we were on our way to a Valentine's party, and heard the Beatles on the car radio..

I was pretty hard-core into folk music by then, so the Beatles were just a novelty to me at that time. But that changed.

Wonder whatever happened to that beautiful green-eyed Texas blonde........?

The song Layla is 50 years old? 1965 was 50 years ago?

I need to go lie down or have a drink....

Have a drink. If you lie down, you may never get up. (Don't feel bad, I was in college in 1965.)

On the plus side, Layla didn't come out until 1970, so it's only 45 years old.

But I have an older sister who bought albums before me that I "borrowed" too.

That's how I got all my early albums: "borrowed" from my two older sisters. Pretty good deal for me when they went away to school and left the albums behind.

Archived