Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! 75th Anniversary SJ200 Maple

drathbun

Well I got it! [biggrin]

It is a 2012 "The Golden Age 1930's SJ200" (Maple) one of 75 made.

Of course now I need to sell my 2010 J200 Standard :( (the guitar in my avatar)

I've posted the J200 Standard in the Trading Post here.

Here are some quick shots of the guitar before I got it home.

2015-08-29%2011.53.51.jpg

2015-08-29%2016.09.30.jpg

2015-08-29%2016.09.35.jpg

2015-08-29%2016.09.08.jpg

2015-08-29%2016.10.20.jpg

Sweet, sweet instrument. Tough to get rid of one of the "oldies but goodies," but sometimes we have to do what we have to do. I hope you enjoy this new addition for many, many years........Live long and prosper.........and thanks for fueling the GAS... [unsure]

And Hey, we'd love to hear this guitar too. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks everyone! I said from the beginning that tone trumps looks and this SJ is a tone monster. That being said, it will be very tough to give up the incredible flamed look of my J200. However, I cannot justify having two jumbo bodied guitars in the house. I can and will be patient with selling it however. I've already received a scammer pretending to be interested in it. "I will transfer the money to your PayPal and then send a courier service to pick up the guitar". Yeah right. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday... last week maybe, but not yesterday!

I just got home from work so now I can play the beauty for an hour or so. [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Thanks everyone! I said from the beginning that tone trumps looks and this SJ is a tone monster. That being said, it will be very tough to give up the incredible flamed look of my J200. However, I cannot justify having two jumbo bodied guitars in the house. I can and will be patient with selling it however. I've already received a scammer pretending to be interested in it. "I will transfer the money to your PayPal and then send a courier service to pick up the guitar". Yeah right. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday... last week maybe, but not yesterday!

I just got home from work so now I can play the beauty for an hour or so. [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Nice SJ Doug.. I was going to pop by L&M sat. to take a look at it..No need now I guess. I dont need another.. I have plenty Early Custom Ren, Walker, English Customs and Brazilians here.

Congrats.. Looks Good..

Nice SJ Doug.. I was going to pop by L&M sat. to take a look at it..No need now I guess. I dont need another.. I have plenty Early Custom Ren, Walker, English Customs and Brazilians here.

Congrats.. Looks Good..

No it IS a maple not rosewood. Even though both instruments are maple, there is a definite difference in tone. It is hard to describe but I'll say it has more "air" in it than the J200. It could be the Adirondack spruce top and the bracing. It could be as simple as the lack of a big chunk of plastic and circuit board that is the Aura.

Whatever it is, the SJ has an incredible tone. The J200 has magnificent flame and a solid punchy tone. They are different; one isn't better than the other. However, the SJ is definitely unique.

I will record the SJ when I can. :)

No it IS a maple not rosewood. Even though both instruments are maple, there is a definite difference in tone. It is hard to describe but I'll say it has more "air" in it than the J200. It could be the Adirondack spruce top and the bracing. It could be as simple as the lack of a big chunk of plastic and circuit board that is the Aura.

Whatever it is, the SJ has an incredible tone. The J200 has magnificent flame and a solid punchy tone. They are different; one isn't better than the other. However, the SJ is definitely unique.

I will record the SJ when I can. :)

You should record both for us side by side! :)

Yeah that top will definitely have an influence, and I bet the bracing is a little different too. And yep even the lack of a chunk of plastic, or lack of a UST under the saddle, and I bet it has a bone nut/saddle too.

Archived