Gibson Brands Forums

NCGD......

Rabs

semanticsovercoffee_zpsrfenps2o.jpg

:)

So I got my first ever coffee grinder today.. But no beans yet, but tomorrow I hope to have my first cup of homeground coffee and from what ive heard theres a difference between that and the pre ground stuff which is all I have used for years..

So time for a step up :D

Any home grinding tips for the perfect brew? I use a cafetiere, so nothing fancy going on and I drink Taylors Italian blend (or illy when I can afford it :)).. They have the Bean version too so I may start there cos I know the taste so well I should be able to tell the difference (if there is any)

91fyI5ntaEL__SY679__zpssukksrtz.jpg

Whats your brew?

Welcome to a real cup of coffee Rabs.

No tips. Just experiment with different beans and grinds.

I like mine a little course and use a little more. I like it strong. Love me some espresso.

That's just me.

You have to play around with it to get what you want.

There is no comparing fresh ground to pre-ground.

I don't even care if it's burr or blade. Fresh is the way to go either way.

Enjoy!

Cheers man.. Im strangely excited about it.. I do like my coffee...

I got one of these electric ones..

DSC_0261_zpskhu8cpmc.jpg

DSC_0262_zpspb61tx7f.jpg

Should do fine...

Its strange to feel excited about some new kitchenware :) (or is that just part of getting old [rolleyes] )

Any home grinding tips for the perfect brew? I use a cafetiere, so nothing fancy going on and I drink Taylors Italian blend (or illy when I can afford it :)).. They have the Bean version too so I may start there cos I know the taste so well I should be able to tell the difference (if there is any)

91fyI5ntaEL__SY679__zpssukksrtz.jpg

Yeah I'd try the Taylors first where as you know that coffee and will be able to know for sure if there is a difference between the pre ground and home ground. THEY MAKE SOME PRETTY NICE GUITARS TOO... :rolleyes:

Looks nice!

Did it come with case?

Illy is nice, don't know Taylors.

I really like Lavazza and Chicco d'Oro, but just looked at the price on Amazon UK and got pale.

No, just a gig bag :D

OK...

So I got the beans

DSC_0263_zpsrshsz75t.jpg

Im having the first cup right now as I type... And to be honest its much the same I think as the pre-ground version.... However maybe I just need to experiment with the coarseness of the grind or find some nicer beans as suggested above...

Still, good coffee though :D

Way to go Rabs. Any type of coffee grinder will do. You will taste the difference with your first cup. Nothing like the taste of true coffee flavor with the coffee oils still in the brew. I keep my coffee beans in the freezer after opening the package. Enjoy, I know you will.

Enjoy the new grinder, Rabs...

I grind my own as well. Mostly because I can grind it really fine. I'm cheap, so I like to get as much flavor out of the coffee as possible. [biggrin] I usually only drink two cups a day but I like it strong.

For a while I had this electric coffee pot that also ground the beans. It was really convenient because you loaded the device with whole beans and water at night and set the timer. Then in the morning it ground the beans and brewed the coffee. Problem for me was it didn't grind them very fine, so I got less flavor and used more coffee to get the strength I like. I eventually switched back to grinding my beans separately.

As for tips, I like to mix in some flavored beans (Irish Cream is particularly nice). I go maybe 1/4 or 1/5 flavored beans to good strong dark unflavored beans. Yum!

A friend of mine buys green (not yet roasted) coffee beans - which apparently are cheap in big bags. Then he roasts them himself in his oven on a cookie sheet. He swears its delicious and inexpensive. Haven't tried it yet myself.

A final tip... If you like cream in your coffee, try using egg nog during the holiday season. It's yummy! A little Irish Whiskey goes well in there too - unless it's before work, in which case that's probably not a good idea... unless you are actually Irish... In that case.... well, never mind. :unsure:

I usually only drink two cups a day but I like it strong.

Jeezus krist I drink two cups while deciding how many cups I'm going to have today.

When I was young and fine I'd put down halfa packa Marbls with them two cups.

rct

Jeezus krist I drink two cups while deciding how many cups I'm going to have today.

When I was young and fine I'd put down halfa packa Marbls with them two cups.

rct

It's Florida... it's hot. Coffee in the morning only for me.

Of course my morning "cup" is like three cups on the side of the pot. [biggrin] Once in a while if we actually have a winter cool off I might have an afternoon cup. Otherwise I switch to iced tea, soda, or water. (Beer after work).

It's Florida... it's hot. Coffee in the morning only for me.

On May 30th while I was at the Orlando Sam Ash getting my heart stolen by what was soon to be my Eric Johnson RW I had to hand it back to The Kid and head out for a coffee. I couldn't take it anymore, it was 2 oclock, and that is coffee break time, no matter where or what the temperature!

rct

Problem for me was it didn't grind them very fine, so I got less flavor and used more coffee to get the strength I like. I eventually switched back to grinding my beans separately.

Yes I was wondering about that.. I purposely made the grind a bit more coarse than the usual pre-ground.. And indeed I think I actually used more than normal and it wasn't as strong as I was expecting...

So tomorrow I will try grinding it a bit smoother...

Cheers [thumbup]

We grind our own. We buy expensive whole bean stuff - Kona direct from Hawaii (http://koacoffee.com), and from either Stumptown Coffee(https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/) or Counter Culture coffee (https://counterculturecoffee.com/). Expensive boutique stuff. I suppose when I retire and the budget goes to nothing I'll go back to cheaper. But for now we're indulging ourselves.

Enjoy the new grinder, Rabs...

I grind my own as well. Mostly because I can grind it really fine. I'm cheap, so I like to get as much flavor out of the coffee as possible. [biggrin] I usually only drink two cups a day but I like it strong.

You were very right I found...

I used the same amount of beans again (well roughly) and gave them a good fine grind and this time it was stronger than I thought it would be...

So now I just have to find that right balance [thumbup]

Purely in the interests of rigorous scientific investigation [biggrin] I have today bought -

1 x 227g pack Sainsbury's Continental coffee beans

1 x 227g pack Sainsbury's Continental coffee, ground

Will grind, compare and try to test the theory that the beans either taste 'better' or are slightly stronger.....

I'm sure I've done this before though....

The intense aroma of freshly ground beans inevitably a factor too here IMO....

TBC..... [thumbup]

Purely in the interests of rigorous scientific investigation [biggrin] I have today bought -

1 x 227g pack Sainsbury's Continental coffee beans

1 x 227g pack Sainsbury's Continental coffee, ground

Will grind, compare and try to test the theory that the beans either taste 'better' or are slightly stronger.....

I'm sure I've done this before though....

The intense aroma of freshly ground beans inevitably a factor too here IMO....

TBC..... [thumbup]

So 227g is what? 227 grounds? A kiloton? What man? IN AMERICAN WEIGHT PLEASE.

rct

Archived