Gibson Brands Forums

Cables

Tman

Their black tweed cables are exactly like all the power cords in our house when I was a kid. TV, Radio, Iron, Vacuum cleaner etc. Everything had that patterned cable in 1962.

Mine too. Just a lad in 1960, but remember it well!!! Don't forget one of my favs: The waffle Iron!!! Now I'm a gonna have to make me one for breakfast tomorrow!!! [biggrin]

Aster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the Line 6 wireless system is touched by genius... [thumbup]

AFAIK the first viable 'digital' system to dispense with radio waves and their inherent problems re interference and license requirements

They mfg instrument systems and vocal systems with, as mentioned many available channels...

I have even powered up a Line 6 G30 with a battery module...connected to a Roland StreetCube

to allow all-battery wireless busking etc... [biggrin]

Personally I regard that as 'pretty amazing'.... :blink:

V

:-({|=

Yeah, they claim that the processing speed is exact spec to the Mark II which is the best wireless that line 6 has. (the one I own), but I am pretty sure, I will be a customer when this version hits the market. Automatic signal search, 14 independant channels, and no different from the badass line 6 that everyone already has in terms of sound quality. Good for 4 guitars, (I bring 2 to my gigs.)

if I had to replace the G30, I suppose I'd give the new one a go... I'm not sure about that bulky jack/transmitter all-in-one design...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the resurection in advance.

Last weekend I needed some guitar stuff, and asked the the sales-dude about all those fancy cables he had on the wall. Well he was very happy to explain to me the advantages of one brand over the other. How this one had silver solder wich is a better conductor, and the other one had that noiseless plug in/out thingie...and so on. All of them of course US made exept of one brand that was German.

I won't bore you with details, don't worry.

But today I found this article and thought it would be nice to share it here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/the_truth_behind_instrument_cables.html

One of these days I should do my own test. I THOUGHT I had a couple of these "fancy" cables around here, but can't remember where.

It's hard to be objective with so much mis-information, and so much un-information floating around about guitar and instrument cables.

What would be cool, is if someone would just try 2 cables side by side, listen to them, and note if there are differences, what they were, and if one was "better" than the other. It's really that simple.

One of these days I should do my own test. I THOUGHT I had a couple of these "fancy" cables around here, but can't remember where.

It's hard to be objective with so much mis-information, and so much un-information floating around about guitar and instrument cables.

What would be cool, is if someone would just try 2 cables side by side, listen to them, and note if there are differences, what they were, and if one was "better" than the other. It's really that simple.

He souded very convinced about what he was saying.

And offered to come back some day and I could try them out myself.

He told me that many of his customers did hear a difference, and that he could too. I might go one day and let him show me the magic.

I think on paper some things do make sense, silver solder for example, but how much difference will it make in a real life situation?

And most important how much of those characteristic's can be heard with our ears?

I think in case of recording, or simply at home enjoying alone it could have advantages,

but on stage with other instruments?

I think I'll have to try this later. Remember with cables it's not just about sound quality. The durability of the plugs, solder joints, and shielding are important.

a real good cable will retain more of the highs than will a low quality one and over all tone will seem a bit thicker. I think you reach a point of diminishing returns when you compare something that's like $50~70 bucks, to one twice the money in regard to signal degradation (or,, the lack of) maybe what you do get for the extra $ is durability.

as I've said in this post earlier, I do have one monster cable that I picked up when they first came around. I did use the "monster" life time replacement once, it was no hassle at all, maybe 16 / 15 years now? I recall it was 49 bucks, looking back,.. dunno.. probably worth it. it's a good cable.

Think silver solder is used in the Keeley compressor.

I have one. It's very clear.

This could get expensive....where do you stop?

Seymour Duncan Zephyr Pickups. Make my Bardens in the 90's look cheap!

rct

a real good cable will retain more of the highs than will a low quality one

Not always a good thing. Reportedly, Jimi's piercing Strat bridge pickup was shaved off nicely by those long coily cables.

And if a cheap quality cable just attenuates the highs, can't I simply add them back in at the amp and save some $?

Think silver solder is used in the Keeley compressor.

I have one. It's very clear.

This could get expensive....where do you stop?

Silver solder is cheap...same price roughly as other solders, just sometimes not as strong a bond.

GOOD silver solder like WBT or Cardas is more money, but STILL cheap when the actual cost is factored in.

Seymour Duncan Zephyr Pickups. Make my Bardens in the 90's look cheap!

rct

Wow - nearly $1k for a hb set.....

But 5 nines silver wire (99.9995) "audiophile" grade wire is VERY expensive.

And (not) oddly, 6 nines copper (99.99997) "audiophile" grade copper is more money than "regular" 99% silver.

The first cable I bought was a monster 3 years ago. Works fine. I bought a fender this year and I can't tell the difference. Both work great. When I bought my Mitchell 12 string, it came with a cheap chord. Don't know what it is but it works ok on the 12, but not so on the Gibson or Epiphone.

Not always a good thing. Reportedly, Jimi's piercing Strat bridge pickup was shaved off nicely by those long coily cables.

And if a cheap quality cable just attenuates the highs, can't I simply add them back in at the amp and save some $?

that's true re: the highs in the signal. but it's not JUST that IME.

I guess, it's sort of like the difference in Cobalt strings to Nickel where the over all difference is just a bit "thicker" (only word I can find) signal.

so I guess it's no just the top end, but that's the first thing you'll probably be likely to notice, but there is a bit more to it in comparing one (good) to the other (cheap)

The only way to know is sit down infront of a good sounding amp, in the clean channel, and try one for a bit, then the other. I can hear subtle differences. (not enough for me to justify spending $100 where a $25/30 cable sound to my ears, as good)

but if I'm plugging into a pedal board and gobbing on effects, distortion, or using heaping amounts of high gain settings on the amp, I aint going to ever know the difference from a crappy guitar to a really good one, or for that fact a really good player, to an adequate one.

I guess Cables at that point are irrelevant.

I digress..

...but if I'm plugging into a pedal board and gobbing on effects, distortion, or using heaping amounts of high gain settings on the amp, I aint going to ever know the difference from a crappy guitar to a really good one, or for that fact a really good player, to an adequate one.

I guess Cables at that point are irrelevant.

This was the point of view for most of my life, guitars and amps and cables were for people that were going out three nights a week for four or five sets. Cable? sheeeyeah, that matters.

Then guitars became consumer goods and everyone had one and had to figure out how to sound better than everyone else without actually practicing and rehearsing and learning how to make it work. BAM! Cables were important. I guess when your guitar career is spent three feet from your amp with headphones on it is.

rct

These crazy cost "high end" cables are a solution looking for a problem.

I remember when Alessandro first hit the market, 1 guitar cable, if you were completely insane and had way too much money, could cost you $2k.

however, if you happen to suck, you're still gonna suck with a $2,000 cable, you're just going to be $2,000 les rich,

perhaps convincing yourself you sound better is the fix?

In last months Guitarist magazine they had an article by a "expert" on amps and sound equipment, who said "why have cables with gold plated plugs and fancy solder when you don't have gold plated sockets in your amp and guitar and thy are built using ordinary solder". I think he has a point.

Ian

These crazy cost "high end" cables are a solution looking for a problem.

I remember when Alessandro first hit the market, 1 guitar cable, if you were completely insane and had way too much money, could cost you $2k.

however, if you happen to suck, you're still gonna suck with a $2,000 cable, you're just going to be $2,000 les rich,

perhaps convincing yourself you sound better is the fix?

Lol. When I hit a bad note or lick I want it to be heard with all the tonal complexities my amp can offer ...

that's true re: the highs in the signal. but it's not JUST that IME.

I guess, it's sort of like the difference in Cobalt strings to Nickel where the over all difference is just a bit "thicker" (only word I can find) signal.

so I guess it's no just the top end, but that's the first thing you'll probably be likely to notice, but there is a bit more to it in comparing one (good) to the other (cheap)

The only way to know is sit down infront of a good sounding amp, in the clean channel, and try one for a bit, then the other. I can hear subtle differences. (not enough for me to justify spending $100 where a $25/30 cable sound to my ears, as good)

... I digress..

No, I wouldn't call that digressing. I think you've summarized it all quite well. In most live situations a cable won't make a rat's a$$ of a difference. Might you hear the difference in your own home setting, yes, you might. But I do think what most people call hi-fi with regard to cables is really just treble. Yeah, high end cables pass more treble, but I bet if I used a low-end cable and just turned up the treble no one would know the difference. Just sayin'.

Archived