Gibson Brands Forums

Cables

Tman

I recently joined a band. You guys gave me some great ideas for names. We decided on "The Next Move". Wasn't my favorite but whatever.

I was getting ready for our last practice and I noticed a really annoying 60 cycle hum and started messing around with cords to see if I could isolate the source (I also changed the extension chord that the amp is plugged into in case it was a simple ground issue). Anyway 2 of my instruments chords were really noisy (one is a monster cable which really surprised me but it is fairly old). Did some research and decided to go with George L's 155 (lightweight, highly recommended) and Asterope as they are highly recommended durable and have an effect on the sound. Then some new patch cords for my very few pedals (talk box and vocal harmonizer - not really pedals are they?).

George L's were $50 something and the asterope were $70. For a freaking guitar cable! Seriously?

What do you use? Should I just have gotten the much cheaper planet waves?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just recently switched over to lava cable and I'm very satisfied. I've got the "retro coil" model and got it with the silent plug option.

The cable itself is fantastic. No complaints there. Sounds good and no noise issues for me.

The silent plug is pure genius. It works perfectly. The only problem is that now I "need" a second one!

Guest Farnsbarns

Probably. PW stuff seems to be very good. Reasonable quality and keenly priced. That said, you're a man who likes and uderstands quality for quality's sake and you know that means expensive these days.

I have Planet Waves, George L's push-fits (some need attention now), a spiffy Gibson woven-sleeve one and a Pete Cornish heavy-duty custom one which was £40 but really worth it.

Did I say I hate curly leads? I hate curly leads. Very much.

used to be these alessandro guitar cables.. some of them went for $2k..

they don't seem to be around any longer. you wonder why? I don't..

I have a few fender High Performance cables,

not too crazy $$ wise, good cables, they DON'T tangle up on you either.. (God I hate that)

I don't mind spending 30 / 40 bucks for a good cable..

75 to 100 bucks, ?? no.. and Please don't tell me you hear a difference.

Five of my instrument cables are 20 years old.

They are all different and all cost about £20 ($28) back then, which was expensive. They have worked out cheap due to their longevity though.

The budget ones I used as a kid never lasted a full year without becoming noisy. They worked out expensive by comparison.

Plug a decent guitar into a decent amp and play it at decent volumes and everyone is on their own, they have to get something out of it themselves. Great guitar sounds, performances, and recordings are three things, so we have to bring something and that something usually comes from lots of practice and then experience.

In the early - mid 90s the internet helped everyone become a guitar expert. They all gathered around the new guitar they got and said to themselves, "self, I need to be better than everyone else, and I need a secret to my 'tone'". Oh yeah, it was on. Everything from depleted batteries rich in sag to the screws on yer pedals(EJ and his rubberbands) to non-ferrous metals on everything the guitar came in contact with to silver then oxidized copper then gold then titanium wire. Crazy stuff.

Soon, Harmony Central was full of dbags patting themselves on the back because they too knew the secret of tone, which was whatever someone happened to be able to sell them because that was way better than practicing and playing with others.

Cables were early tone secrets and the price has stayed the same.

I still use a 20 year old Armored Cable by Samson, they only made them a short time because they were 75 dollars or so, but stainless jacket meant no drag noise and the drummer could drive his car over it and it would be fine. They never claimed a word of tone magic, so people wouldn't buy it I suppose. That, and some cheap azz Fenders that I've had forever, like seriously forever can't even remember who was president when I bought them.

rct

^-- Word!

Eric Johnson's proclamations were akin to the letters of St. Paul to the Romans.

expect IMHO Eric's were astoundingly ridiculous.

could tell the difference between a Duracell and an Energizer Battery? ha! there's some funny stuff right there.

the most money I spent on a cable was 50 bucks for a monster cable that I got,.. 15+ years ago I think? like whammy bars, it was all the rage, to be hip, you had to use one...

I don't really think there's one single molecule of difference if I compare the 20 dollar Fender Performance Series cable, or the 30 dollar Fender Custom shop tweed cable, to the monster cable.

The good thing about the Fender cables is the warranty,, the cable fails? no problem, cut it, to prove its busted, take a picture, send it to fender customer service with your address, (if you have the receipt, take the photo with that visible. if you don't have it, no sweat.. Fender will send you a new one...

I know this for a fact, as I've done it already.

I think Monster still will as well. so that is the "good news" with those.

Cables Shmables.. any decent one will do. save the money and buy blue picks instead! (kidding.. Talk about 75 bucks you'll never get back! don't get me started....)

That, and some cheap azz Fenders that I've had forever, like seriously forever can't even remember who was president when I bought them.

rct

I really hope they keep making them the same way they did when you bought yours because that's exactly what I use.

But in this modern age they call them Performance Series, personally I like cheap azz better!

At first I didn't know $hit about how a guitar works, and I was really impressed with all those fancy high tech methods they use to

build all those magic gizmos that enhance your TONE and make you sound like (insert your guitar hero/s).

Now not so much, I just plug what I think are decent guitars in my decent amps and focus on my playing.

I feel less stressed now, not worring about all that tone stuff.

Not long ago I wouldn't have belived it if someone had told me that I would be capable of playing 3 chords.

And if they had told me I that I could play whole lotta love in a recognizable way and keeping the pace and with a pretty decent tone,

I would have laught myself to valhalla.

Do I sound like Page? Heck nooooo!

But no cable will change that, and I'm happy with MY tone.

I use the Fender Custom Shop Performance cables, they do the job, there cheap and they've got a lifetime guarantee what more can you ask for. I've never had a cable that will "enhance" my sound and anyone who believes a cable will is, I think a little deluded.

Ian

I use whatever there is at open mics etc

Planet Waves are cheap 'n cheerful.... [thumbup]

Going wireless is good too, purely personal choice.... <_<

V

:-({|=

I thought about going wireless. I think it is cool. Certainly neater.

I guess I really like my Fender Tweed cables. For one reason & one reason ONLY. They match my Strat case & tweed amp. [biggrin] It's a good cable and like said, doesn't tangle too bad. Not outrageous priced IMHO either. Just like that vintage look but then I never go out in public with a git so I'm not a good reference in this topic area. Just a home duffer player at best for fun.

Wish my fingers & ability would match my hearing!! Lord knows, they match my eyesight more closely. [rolleyes] Need new specs bad but just won't take the time to get the exam or glasses selection yet.

Aster

I thought about going wireless. I think it is cool. Certainly neater.

[thumbup] It can be amazingly liberating....particularly when swapping guitars...which can be done silently

And who hasn't trodden on their lead in the heat of the moment...?

And who, in the audience, hasn't been thrilled/frightened when the guitarist/violinist/etc casually walks out into the adoring melee during a particularly hot solo... :blink:

V

:-({|=

I looked thru my stash, and I found about six instrument cables- Planet Waves, Mogami, Monster, Live Wire... straight and right angle plugs... I expect I paid from $30-$60 each. They're all the same to me, and as long as they last me, and as little as I spend on my habit, I'm not sure it makes that much difference... not to my ears.

I saw the new Line 6 wireless on a video of the NAMM show. It is great. Looks like a lead with about a 4cm2 block that comes out of the port. No box to carry on the strap, nothing else. 14 independant channels encripted.

I have the G30 Relay, not sure what they changed, these work really good. I dropped the transmitter one afternoon tho, and snapped off one of the pins that holds the belt clip.. ARG!!! wasn't happy...

I have the G30 Relay, not sure what they changed, these work really good. I dropped the transmitter one afternoon tho, and snapped off one of the pins that holds the belt clip.. ARG!!! wasn't happy...

That's Just it. No more belt clips or anything. Just a small transmitter that goes into the guitar.

interesting.. about,, 15 years ago, there was a similar design to the G10.

at the moment,,, I'm wracking my brain for the make/model, but it didn't sound good at all. Very thin, and brittle, a tone killer from the the moment you plugged it in.

interesting.. about,, 15 years ago, there was a similar design to the G10.

at the moment,,, I'm wracking my brain for the make/model, but it didn't sound good at all. Very thin, and brittle, a tone killer from the the moment you plugged it in.

Yeah, they claim that the processing speed is exact spec to the Mark II which is the best wireless that line 6 has. (the one I own), but I am pretty sure, I will be a customer when this version hits the market. Automatic signal search, 14 independant channels, and no different from the badass line 6 that everyone already has in terms of sound quality. Good for 4 guitars, (I bring 2 to my gigs.)

Archived