Gibson Brands Forums

"The Truth About Pop Music"

charlie brown

Great thread CB....I know it took 12 minutes of my precious day to watch, but there was not a word wasted in explaining the state of affairs in commercial music today. I could not find a single point in Paul's entire rant that I would say I disagree. And it's obvious to anyone with their anteannas up that we are in an "arrested development" culture.

Anyone with kids born after 1990 should seriously share this video with them. I know there are a few explitives, but I know that their songs are filled with explitives and utterly stupid suggestive behavior and attitude, which in fact, they don't even create. The tone pallete of the backing track and vocalists are created by computer software, and these "artists" are nothing more than walking billboards for the sniviling corporate *****s who have convinced a generation to buy this crap.

There is a huge wealth of really good original music these days. But you won't get it on the radio dial. Everyone should do them and their children a favor. As Bob Seager said, Pick up a paper and find a gig, chances are you won't have to go too far. Go see real musicians and support your local artists. We don't want to be rich and talk about being "up in the club" we just wan't to make a living making art for you.

I made it an entire one minute and thirty seconds before I had to turn it off.

"Everybody on the whole cell block dancin to the jailhouse rock"

"Hold my hand and I'll kiss you"

"Squeeze my lemons til the juice runs down my leg"

"Foxy Lady"

Yeah, brilliant lyrics there, today's lyrics are so much dumber.

Bland music, the music is being made less complicated. God, at the rate they are going pop music will never be able to get back to the depth and complexity of three chord 12 bar blues that people still worship because it isn't pop.

Compression. Did this doosch think of this himself?

Does he know he sounds exactly like my father did and exactly like how I sound to my kids and exactly how you young people are going to sound to your kids someday?

rct

Ha!,, Ya I made it about 2 minutes.

Not sure how much fact he was spewing but it was kinda funny.

Having looked back at Grammy winners since the 70s I can honestly say I don't like pop music.

Although that statement is subjective to how you define pop music.

For me the definition is simple. Pop music, is short for popular music. Pretty simple.

I don't like popular music. I need no further definition.

Zappa made a pretty good living selling unpopular music. Good luck with that today.

Zappa made a pretty good living selling unpopular music. Good luck with that today.

Quap, I think you are on to something there..

Think about it. The 'Billboard Cold 200", "Bottom 40 FM" radio...man, sign me up!

When's the Captain Beefheart Hour come on?

Quap, I think you are on to something there..

Think about it. The 'Billboard Cold 200", "Bottom 40 FM" radio...man, sign me up!

When's the Captain Beefheart Hour come on?

Ed Zachary!

Anyone hear the Ed Zachary joke?

Maybe I should post that in the joke of the day thread.

It's an oldy!.

Even though I dislike most pop music, I have to agree with rct on this one. There have always been terrible lyrics since the birth of pop music...

Exhibit A) The Beatles - Piggies

Everywhere there's lots of piggies

Living piggy lives

You can see them out for dinner

With their piggy wives

Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon

Exhibit B ) Queen- Radio Gaga

So don't become some background noise

A backdrop for the girls and boys

Who just don't know or just don't care

And just complain when you're not there

You had your time, you had the power

You've yet to have your finest hour

Radio, Radio.

All we hear is Radio ga ga

Radio goo goo

Radio ga ga

All we hear is Radio ga ga

Radio blah blah

Radio, what's new?

Radio, someone still loves you!

I agree there have been dumb-*** lyrics for as long as there has been popular music (and unpopular music too). Those songs you guys have noted are generally still easy to associate with their performers and some/most were sufficiently different to what was around them and stood out. Musically speaking, I can't tell one of these ***-shakin diva chicks from another (although I may just be mesmerised at the time), or one gangsta rapper from another (I tune out automatically though - it's an acquired skill), so I wouldn't be too surprised to find that there were calculated formulae behind their song writing compared with more original thought in earlier times.

Hmm...*** is a swear word? It's what I was using instead of a swear word. [confused]

Those songs you guys have noted are generally still easy to associate with their performers and some/most were sufficiently different to what was around them and stood out.

Very true 'Scales. You can certainly tell Zep from the Beatles or Queen from Elvis, whereas today it really does all blend into one boring, annoying noise generally.

Agree with you on rap/ urban music too. I gave the band 'The Roots' a chance last year and listened to the whole of one of their albums. I wish I hadn't...time I will never get back [blink]](*,)

Well, I just thought the "rant" was funny! And, true, to a large extent.

"Pop" music, (sometimes referred to as "Poop" or "Slop/Shite" music), has always been

lyrically marginal, and "hooky," to a large extent. Yes, there are always exceptions!

I was listening to an "Oldies" station, on my car radio, on my 2-hour drive back, from

seeing Blues artist Samantha Fish, in Wichita, last night, and I smiled a lot, at some

of the lyrics, and less than "perfect" recordings. There was one MoTown hit, big hit

too, that the beginning guitar riff/intro was even slightly, but noticeably, out of tune!

Did we notice that, then? I doubt it! While musical "tastes" have been altered/manipulated,

some say completely dumbed down," our technical perfection expectations, have been raised.

Maybe to even unrealistic proportions, Record vs. "Live." I don't know. There are some interesting

examples, on the web/Youtube, of a number of popular singers (old and new) "Live" vs their

(Auto correct/auto tune), or even just "normal" for the time period, Studio versions. One of

the most obnoxious, egotistical, and loud mouthed poser's example(s) is cringe worthy, and you

have to realize he's been artificially "manufactured as a pop icon. Nothing new, there!

But, At least "Milli Vanilli" and some other's had the decency to "lip sync" their "live"

performances.

Miss Samantha Fish's vocals, last night, were spot on, and there was no "technical" enhancements

evident at all. Just a good mix, and some slight echo/reverb, at times, when it enhanced the song.

It was not done, or needed, to enhance her vocals! Her talent, whether you like her style, or not,

was quite evident, and Real! Was the evening pristine perfect? No...it was "Live" and REAL, and

very enjoyable, as such!

Pop music is, what it is! I'm only sorry it's not more "interesting," and diverse, nowadays! Mainstream

"Country" is as bad, or worse! Talk about inane lyrics, and over-hooked! ;>b

But, that's only MY opinion. [biggrin]

I haven't actually watched the video yet. But I do somewhat agree with rct. Then again, I find myself making comments about how dumb some new "pop" music is, or how low the bar has gotten for what we call "art".

It's mostly the modern stuff that tries so hard to sound "from the street" or have that hip-hop slang through all the lyrics, that I can't stand. I know slang has been used in lyrics since rock and roll has been around. Even before that. But some of the stuff coming out now takes dumb to a whole new level. Kanye West anyone? And these people are accepted as legitimate artists by the industry and media. I think some people in the establishment are just desperate to appear "hip".

Now, I really don't mind a good pop song with catchy melody and simple lyrics.

There are only 2 kinds of music. Music I like and Music I don't. I don't care what label you give it.

Same here. [thumbup]

I have been watching the entire video. What the guy said applies to pop music of all eras in my opinion. There always have been music and lyrics of different styles and grades. Primitive songs have been successful as well as challenging ones. Lots of artists had hits of either kind. Finally there are golden oldies and many more long forgotten songs from any year of release.

The ways of production and marketing changed with time, but everything else has basically stayed the same I think.

I would just like to ask how can anyone honestly compare musically, or lyrically stuff like "Sympathy For the Devil", "Like a Rolling Stone" "Symphony of Destruction" "One" or "Let it Be" to anything on the radio dial today? There is some great stuff, but like I said before, Jimi Hendrix would be in the "Alternative Section" in the music store doing 800 people gigs with Cream today.

Perfect Example: This tune is as good as most of the stuff Dylan got on the radio....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWKSie5gLo

one thing i notice people haven't addressed is his statement that all of pop is written by 4 people, and that songs are chosen by an algorithm. if this is true, then certainly this separates modern pop from times past when it was the artist who came up with their art.

to me, that's the part that is disturbing. i don't like modern pop, but as an old guy i'm not supposed to. there's nothing unusual there.

but if it's true that all modern pop is written by the same 4 people, and songs are chosen for distribution by an algorithm, there is no way you can compare the vapidity of pop from times gone by to the pop of today. if you remove the artist from the art, they are not artists, and what they produce is not art. they are manufacturers who produce and distribute a product, and nothing more.

me personally, i think that beauty in the form of art, is important to the world. the entire reason art can define us is because it is supposed to come from a place inside of us which is not subject to the limitations we ourselves are. if art comes from your soul, it comes from a part of you that is bigger than the physical and deeper than shallow consciousness we use to navigate much of everyday life.

once you have predictive algorithms feeding you your art, it is no longer art, because it is no longer free to become whatever it will. when you remove art from the world, we are all less for it because our world is less beautiful, less holistic, less empathic. those who strive to support the capitalistic homogenization of beauty are truly doing the devil's work.

if you remove the artist from the art, they are not artists, and what they produce is not art. they are manufacturers who produce and distribute a product, and nothing more.

And they make a fortune doing just that.

Nothing new at all.

It's not like the Jackson 5 wrote their own material.

So you guys don't know a Prince written song when you hear it, Dianne Warren maybe? It's one thing to know a band when you hear them, but to know a writer is an accomplishment on their part for sure. 4 people write all the pop music? Most would be surprised to meet lots of the people that write pop music.

rct

I haven't actually watched the video yet. But I do somewhat agree with rct. Then again, I find myself making comments about how dumb some new "pop" music is, or how low the bar has gotten for what we call "art".

It's mostly the modern stuff that tries so hard to sound "from the street" or have that hip-hop slang through all the lyrics, that I can't stand. I know slang has been used in lyrics since rock and roll has been around. Even before that. But some of the stuff coming out now takes dumb to a whole new level. Kanye West anyone? And these people are accepted as legitimate artists by the industry and media. I think some people in the establishment are just desperate to appear "hip".

Now, I really don't mind a good pop song with catchy melody and simple lyrics.

I quoted myself! :rolleyes:

OK. I just viewed the whole thing. Actually he does make a lot of good points, and even addresses many of the objections that RTC brings up.

One of my favorite points he makes, is that most new songs have to have a "hook" at the very beginning and repeat them so often throughout the song, because with today's attention span, people will change the song every 7 seconds.

Archived