Gibson Brands Forums

You Can Close Your Eyes (Cover)

Avery

Hey folks,

So while Lars has been binging on Townes Van Zandt, I've been listening to a whole bunch of James Taylor again. Really in love with his style of playing and his songs. Anyway, did a cover of another JT song, another of my favorites of his.

Hey folks,

So while Lars has been binging on Townes Van Zandt, I've been listening to a whole bunch of James Taylor again. Really in love with his style of playing and his songs. Anyway, did a cover of another JT song, another of my favorites of his.

Avery,

One of my favorite songs James has done.

I enjoyed it a lot.You were shy of a minute of bringing me to tears !

Thanks

JC

Guys, thank you very much for the listen and the comments. I really appreciate it very much.

Birdman, I think these J-15s are great-sounding guitars. Have a nice bright sound, and sound great fingerstyle. I've got serious bird-envy of yours, though, obviously. Keep sharing.

Juan Carlos, thank you! That is a very nice thing for you to say. I've been practicing this one a lot, and it is indeed a sad song. Makes me feel a bit depressed after playing it five times in a row, to be honest. I might want to to give it a bit of a rest.

Keith, We can all use a good dose one of your songs.

Pappy, thank you very much!

And Dan, thanks too! JT does some of those "interior moves" on an A chord in so many of his songs. Really like how he does them on a B minor chord in this song.

I was just thinking when you replied to my post that it was time we heard again from Avery. Hence glad you posted again, and what a lovelly tune it is. I didnt know it but it was a great reminder that i need to start listening and having a go at a few James Taylor tunes, will probably start with Fire and Rain, but this is also a great little tune. I like the subtlety and softneness of your voice, it suits this song and you pick them well, remember Landslide really suited your style.

And yes, that J-15 sounds absolutely fabulous !

Wow, that was fabulous, Avery. I have liked all of the songs you have posted earlier, but this one wad a step beyond. The guitar playing, your voice and the melody were all great, but put together, the sum was greater than the parts, for sure.

Lars

Nice Job, Avery. I don't know how long you have been playing, but I wish I had your guitars skill.

I was thinking the same thing Sal! This just reminds me of how I need to start digging in on learning fingerpicking or risk never learning.

Hey, thanks guys. You're all too kind.

I'm not a great player by any means. I picked up a guitar for the first time in the summer of 2012. Downloaded the free guitar lessons that come with garageband, and learned chords and how to strum. (btw, the dude is playing some kind of slope Gibson, cannot tell exactly what). Then I've just been learning a lot of the songs I like from youtube lessons and the like. You guys can probably guess I like James Taylor, so I learned a bunch of his songs. And that Coen brothers movie "Inside Llewyn Davis" really inspired me to learn some Travis-picking songs. (It's kind of funny, but I'm really the baby of this forum :rolleyes: ).

I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing on guitar, I just have the knowledge to learn the songs I want.

One day, I would like to start a separate thread just to learn about the guitar-playing journeys of all the really talented folks on this forum.

On a separate note, for the James Taylor listeners, do you guys like him on his old J-50, or on his Olson guitars? I love them both...yet they are so, so different.

Gibson J-50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6T5wqXN60

Olson

Hey, thanks FB and Anne!

Sorry about the little pop-up ads, btw. I didn't put them up, but the company that owns this song put up a copyright claim, and put ads on the video. Happens to some of my youtube covers sometimes.

I like James Taylor on a lot of his stuff. I like the gentleness of the songs and the stories they tell. What I really find unique with him is his writing. The rhymes don't seem to always be on the beat where you're expecting them. They can be a little before or after the exact spot you were ready to hear it. For me, this allows him to change the cadence of the song and even change the melody a bit from verse to verse, but it's still obviously the same song. He makes great use of words that don't really rhyme, but they fit nicely in the place where a rhyming word belongs and they carry on the theme of the song. Hell of a songwriter and one of the premier folksingers ever. I know bunch of folks who don't care for his sound. They think his music is dull and all he does is sit there. I tell them we all like different things, but that his talent as a songwriter is beyond dispute. Beyond that, I think guys like Cash, Dylan, and Lightfoot were/are at there best when they're just sitting on a stool with a guitar and telling their stories.

Thanks very much, Blast!

Missouri, it is really cool to hear your songwriter's take on JT's songwriting. I do hear you; some people kind of dismiss it as boring elevator music, but as you know I'm a huge fan. He has got such a distinctive style of guitar playing, that is all his own. Also, like you allude to at the end of your post, I just love him and a lot of those classic singer-songwriters with just them and their guitar. Don't like it as much when JT's got all of his backup singers around.

I was listening to a concert of his from 1974 while riding the train this morning, and while at the surface some of his songs are just sweet songs, there is always a hint of sorrow underlying the sweetness. I mean, man, he had such an incredibly rough life in his late teens and twenties, and I think that all of that hardship really informs his music and makes it really meaningful. Sometimes, when he is being all sunny and optimistic, you get the sense that he's just trying to will himself to make it and survive. Maybe you get less of that with his newer music.

I know you love some Johnny Cash, so here is a little video of the two of them singing and playing together:

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Although, I am sure the forumites might get a little sick of this one. I know I am.

I'm late to the party on this one. Great job, Avery! Crisp and clean technique and great vocals.

Archived