Gibson Brands Forums

A question regarding the T

sparquelito

I don't know where else this belongs, so into The Lounge it goes.

What's the story on the T?

I've been a Gibson fan for many years, and can't recall any models in past years that featured the T in the model name.

Now it's left and right;

The Les Paul Standard T.

The Signature T.

Firebird Studio 2017 T.

What's the back-story, or is there one?

From whence came the bloody T?

[omg][blink] :mellow:

The T says "Traditional Line" as opposed to HP meaning "High Performance Line". It has nothing to do with the Les Paul Traditional model.

There have been new features for the 2015 model line that widely failed to meet the customer desires. Then they stepped partly back for 2016 and called the guitars built to pre-2015 specs T models. They kept on making guitars equipped with robot tuning, wider fretboard, now called Soloist Neck, and as far as Les Paul guitars are concerned, an Axcess model-like routing around the neck-body transition. These guitars are sold as HP line.

Unfortunately there have been other changes, too. Some 2016 T line guitars come with a gigbag instead of a hardcase.

Perhaps I forgot some more details but I guess I mentioned most points here.

Guest Farnsbarns

People didn't like having all the new 2015 stuff forced on them so they did "T" (traditional) and "HP" (high performance) to give people the choice.

The Signature T.

I forgot to mention that the Les Paul Signature T has been a guitar introduced in 2013. It has a T engraved to the truss-rod cover.

Perhaps the T indicates "Truss-Rod"... [scared] ... Just kidding! [rolleyes]

Look here:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Signature-T.aspx

HP stands for Halt Piracy, they're more difficult to counterfeit.

Just kidding.

I think the head honchos at Gibson sunk too much money into the 2015 changes to admit defeat so they came out with the "T" line up to sell to Luddites like me.

The SG-T and Firebird-T look real good to my eyes, the entire HP line up is of no interest to me.

I forgot to mention that the Les Paul Signature T has been a guitar introduced in 2013. It has a T engraved to the truss-rod cover.

Perhaps the T indicates "Truss-Rod"... [scared] ... Just kidding! [rolleyes]

Look here:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Signature-T.aspx

I believe the T for trad started after they started mucking about with the standard with its asymmetrical neck, chambered bodies which caused a stir similar but less extreme than the 2015's and the creation of the HP series.

It's what I remember anyway, but memory doesn't always serve me the best.

Johnny

Okay, that all sounds great to me, guys.

I appreciate the education.

In a similar vein I remember being stymied (about 12 or so years ago) when the Chevy C1500 (standard pickup truck) became 'the Silverado'.

Years before, the Silverado was merely a special appearance package of the C1500 truck.

And then all of a sudden, every Chevy truck was a Silverado.

Marketing.

It's an odd bit of business.

[mellow]

Okay, that all sounds great to me, guys.

I appreciate the education.

In a similar vein I remember being stymied (about 12 or so years ago) when the Chevy C1500 (standard pickup truck) became 'the Silverado'.

Years before, the Silverado was merely a special appearance package of the C1500 truck.

And then all of a sudden, every Chevy truck was a Silverado.

Marketing.

It's an odd bit of business.

[mellow]

Marketing is the art of separating us from our hard earned. Silverado rolls of the tongue much better than C1500 so it MUST be better right?

Johnny

I believe the T for trad started after they started mucking about with the standard with its asymmetrical neck, chambered bodies which caused a stir similar but less extreme than the 2015's and the creation of the HP series.

It's what I remember anyway, but memory doesn't always serve me the best.

Johnny

You're spot-on, the Les Paul Traditional model was introduced in 2008 reflecting previous Les Paul Standard specifications. [thumbup]

I think the head honchos at Gibson sunk too much money into the 2015 changes to admit defeat so they came out with the "T" line up to sell to Luddites like me.

The SG-T and Firebird-T look real good to my eyes, the entire HP line up is of no interest to me.

Gibson know that its core customers still want something harking back to the 50's. That may no longer be true in 30 years time. Maybe it makes sense to lay a foundation of HP models now, which have some relevance to the 21st century.

Guest Farnsbarns

msp_thumbup.gif Good Ol' Mr. T. Used to watch him. So you guys are saying a 2007 Standard is classified as a T since it's before 2015 right? msp_confused.gif

That' how it looks to me.

No. There was no T back then. The absence of the HP line meant there was no differential to label.

I keep on hearing that the 2015's and newer aren't as good as the older ones. So if I plan to get another Gibson in the future which I plan on some year, I should look at older ones right? I have seen some 15 and 16's at GC that are standards and customs on the top of the wall that are knock out gorgeous from the floor but never asked to play them because I couldn't afford one now.

I keep on hearing that the 2015's and newer aren't as good as the older ones. So if I plan to get another Gibson in the future which I plan on some year, I should look at older ones right? I have seen some 15 and 16's at GC that are standards and customs on the top of the wall that are knock out gorgeous from the floor but never asked to play them because I couldn't afford one now.

I haven't heard that.

The Nashville 2015s (solidbodys) and 2016 HPs have been less popular due to design changes but that’s not the same as ‘not as good’.

Archived