Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone familiar with this new guitar company?

jannusguy2

Interesting idea, but I prefer the name "Gibson" or "Martin" on the headstock of relic'd guitars. You can buy a used Martin D-28 Authentic (1937 or 1941 models) for about $5-6K. Those are all hide glue, and newer ones have torrefied tops and braces. Gibson doesn't have a perfect analog for that type of guitar, except for the relatively few Legends floating around out there.

Interesting idea, but I prefer the name "Gibson" or "Martin" on the headstock of relic'd guitars. You can buy a used Martin D-28 Authentic (1937 or 1941 models) for about $5-6K. Those are all hide glue, and newer ones have torrefied tops and braces. Gibson doesn't have a perfect analog for that type of guitar, except for the relatively few Legends floating around out there.

Tell ya what - my old J-50 is getting to look more and more relic'd all the time; somehow, I feel inclined to give it a big hug just about now😄

The not-so-funny thing about the descriptor "pre-war" is, which war? Sadly, there are so many to choose from. Five grand for the J model, from an unknown and untested builder, sounds like it is made by the military industrial complex for the American taxpayer! But I digress. Personally I would definitely want to see and play one before plunking down the dinero. After twenty years of ownership how will the used market be able to ascertain the original distress level?

This pre aging guitars is totally stupid. And all the companines make money off the wannabees.

For the prices shown lots of beaters original top brands for the same if not cheaper.

I agree with nick on his comment as well

This is good specially for the masses who cant wait to play and age their acoustics the old fashion way...............and of course for the ones who has too many acoustic to play as well and cant decide which ones to play the snot out of and couldn't care less to bash and abuse the thing.

Hey? by all means it gives us a choice. Gibson/Fender came out with it on their Les Paul's.....VOS/Road Worn/Relic this and that so there you go.

I am quite intrigue with N.O.S look.

Peace!

Trans

If Gibson went after Kopp for his guitars, how long do you think it will be before they go after these guys based on their Model J?

Yesterday sounds about right to me. This should be an interesting one to follow, kicked-back and strumming the new Martin "Let's make a dope deal" D-420....

If Gibson went after Kopp for his guitars, how long do you think it will be before they go after these guys based on their Model J?

More work for JT. If I can persuade him out of academic Law and back into practice, do I get a cut?

I really like the look of them, but I've always preferred guitars to look that way. Good luck to them - I hope they do well out of the venture.

I'm a bit surprised Gibson doesn't offer similar (or maybe they do?) - like their electric 'collectors choice' series I think it's was called, based on actual old Les Pauls.

I really like the look of them, but I've always preferred guitars to look that way. Good luck to them - I hope they do well out of the venture.

I'm a bit surprised Gibson doesn't offer similar (or maybe they do?) - like their electric 'collectors choice' series I think it's was called, based on actual old Les Pauls.

Send me your guitars and I will make them look that way for half the price that this company are charging!

Mmmmm, , , have to say close to kitsch. They sound good and really hit what they aim for, but copying, , naahh, , and the distrezzz factor, , naaahhh.

Another thing is the more or less known wolf-tone in the G-chords - namely the A.

This is a factor we rarely speak of here and maybe it deserves its own thread, but here I go :

A few years ago I discovered that some of my guitars had the A harmonic when taking a plain G-chord.

Now unless you are some kind of jazzer an A doesn't belong in a G. You just don't want it there.

Now it became clear to me that fx my 1953 J-45 and my HD-28V produced higher even disturbing A-wolves when tuned half a step down.

As I got more aware the thing began to annoy me and for a long period I didn't play the guitars half down at all.

Then suddenly I noticed there was vague traces of them in ordinary tuning and 1 whole step down also and from then on started to listen for this sub-sonic bi-effect as a rule.

The maple dreads fx didn't have it - neither did the Birds or vintage squares. Several guitars checked on Tube-tests had it to an alarming degree - high end stuff and well known classics too.

Saluted and respected test-players strummed it forward now and again, , , , without mentioning, , , ever noticing whatsoever.

And it occurred to me that I had found an issue-niche, which no one seemed to know of.

YES, you heard me. As I see it, there's no awareness of the degree of disturbing A-wolf-tones in common G-chords.

Take it or leave it - but let's hear what you have to say.

Ooouh, , , and if you are uncertain about what is meant, listen to the Pre-Wars.

Especially the J's have it. The 2 D's show lesser (un-relic'd to the right has most) and the HD least of the 5.

Okay - don't comment here - I'll set up a thread

Mmmmm, , , have to say close to kitsch. They sound good and really hit what they aim for, but copying, , naahh, , and the distrezzz factor, , naaahhh.

Another thing is the more or less known wolf-tone in the G-chords - namely the A.

This is a factor we rarely speak of here and maybe it deserves its own thread, but here I go :

A few years ago I discovered that some of my guitars had the A harmonic when taking a plain G-chord.

Now unless you are some kind of jazzer an A doesn't belong in a G. You just don't want it there.

Now it became clear to me that fx my 1953 J-45 and my HD-28V produced higher even disturbing A-wolves when tuned half a step down.

As I got more aware the thing began to annoy me and for a long period I didn't play the guitars half down at all.

Then suddenly I noticed there was vague traces of them in ordinary tuning and 1 whole step down also and from then on started to listen for this sub-sonic bi-effect as a rule.

The maple dreads fx didn't have it - neither did the Birds or vintage squares. Several guitars checked on Tube-tests had it to an alarming degree - high end stuff and well known classics too.

Saluted and respected test-players strummed it forward now and again, , , , without mentioning, , , ever noticing whatsoever.

And it occurred to me that I had found an issue-niche, which no one seemed to know of.

YES, you heard me. As I see it, there's no awareness of the degree of disturbing A-wolf-tones in common G-chords.

Take it or leave it - but let's hear what you have to say.

Ooouh, , , and if you are uncertain about what is meant, listen to the Pre-Wars.

Especially the J's have it. The 2 D's show lesser (un-relic'd to the right has most) and the HD least of the 5.

Okay - don't comment here - I'll set up a thread

That is pretty strange, for sure. Now I have to go through my guitars and look for it. It's definitely not there in my Fuller's '43 SJ.

That is pretty strange, for sure. Now I have to go through my guitars and look for it. It's definitely not there in my Fuller's '43 SJ.

Please report the result in the WT-thread. There's a bit of an explanation there as well.

Just my opinion for what it's worth , , I think the whole relic issue is stupid . I would never own or play a relic or pre worn guitar . However a process like antique finishing like VOS is fine on the J45 Vintage and Hummingbird etc it suits the instrument . These relic guitars won't make you play any better , the only reason I can see for doing this would be to replicate in look and feel a life long gigged guitar that's worth a fortune so you could take the relic clone copy on the road or to gigs , I maybe wrong but I think that's how this relic issue started in the first place and it's now expanded to the current market place

Archived