Gibson Brands Forums

Playing a memorial service tomorrow

sparquelito

A good friend from work died last week, and he was given a proper funeral and burial down south (near his home town) on Saturday.

There are quite a few friends and coworkers up north here who wanted to pay tribute to the beloved fellow though, and so tomorrow at lunchtime we will be attending a memorial service at a local church.

I was asked (just the other day) to perform a song for our buddy at the upcoming service, so it's been a couple work days for me to line up some ladies from the hangar who:

a. were quite fond of the deceased

and

b. have the singing chops to channel The Jordanaires

Our good friend Mark was a big fan of Elvis Presley you see, and in fact, he sang a pretty good Elvis impersonation.

So, in tribute, we will be playing and singing Elvis's version of "Peace In The Valley".

I plan to record the song tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that we capture the spirit and essence of Elvis's gospel classic, and that the attendees will be moved to celebrate our fallen comrade's love for The King.

:(

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F6c4f601ed692701bf373b2ad3a7bff28%2F204821254%2FRTX2YSOH.jpeg

Kudos to you and your lady Jordanaires. Memorials can be tough due to the emotional attachment to the departed, but I have done a couple and I find that if you have the right song, it will take over and you will soar through it without any issues.

I am not an extremely religious church goer, but when it comes to music there does seem to be a higher power [thumbup]

Kudos to you and your lady Jordanaires. Memorials can be tough due to the emotional attachment to the departed, but I have done a couple and I find that if you have the right song, it will take over and you will soar through it without any issues.

I am not an extremely religious church goer, but when it comes to music there does seem to be a higher power [thumbup]

Thank you, Twang Gang, I appreciate the kind words of wisdom.

:)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's passing and what you are planning sounds like a wonderful tribute. I wish you the best of luck in making this happen and thoughts and prayers for friends and family.

Oh man, the memorial service today was really nice, and our song was very, very well received.

My girl singers KILLED it on the Jordanaires harmonies (no pun intended), and I was really happy with how everything went.

I sort of felt that Mark was looking down with great pleasure at the tribute.

The church sound & light guy captured everything from the mixing board, and he promised me that he would have a digital copy of our performance for me within a week. (He has to go off to a weekend Drill with the National Guard, and when he gets back he needs to cull out the chatter and introductions before the songs, as well as the spoken tributes afterwards.)

I plan to get two copies;

One of just the song, and one of the entire service.

I'll post the sound-file here as soon as I get it.

:)

Archived