Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN !

Bluesy69

You should take your own advice as far as reading others comments, yes? No one I have ever met likes a smart-***, and your 'When was the last time....?' question, IMO, well...... My comment about 'No doubt...', uh, what? MAYBE YOU THINK IT WAS DUE TO THE PICKUPS ? ID particularly GAS if you are convinced or not, it is not why I am here. What I stated is a FACT....and I know, I did not, and will not, repeat it.You had no come back for that though, I noticed, just a couple of stupid questions.

As if this were the streets, I'll be steering clear of you.......

Nice! [biggrin] Read it all or not, you're still not getting it. Never mind. Climb back into your pram.

• Upvote 1

u2.jpg

I knew I could count on you. Man isn't Bono one sexy Irishman. I hope he got a free bowl of soup with that stupid haircut. The Edge or The Side or what ever that jack wagons name is who plays effects pedals looks like he is trying to hold in a f-art.

Edited by LP Trad Pro II

I just never could get into that guy, His voice grates on me. I've tried to listen to Electric Warrior and a few others but it just don't get him.

I saw him in 1970 in Germany he was into very unusual voice and extremely intricate rythms. I originally put him up to show his LP. This was at the time when Bowie, Iggy and others were first showing unusual styles. I was also wondering, how many out there are old enough to recognize him. :)

Edited by mihcmac

Great, I thought a U.K. person would get it....! [smile]......

The pic must be from around 1970 just after he got the guitar as it still has the 'Standard' neck. In 1971 the neck was broken (the first of three breakages) and, famously, it ended up with the neck from a black Les Paul Custom. The Custom-neck version was used as the basis for a re-issue a few years ago. There was one in London which I tried and it was superb.

If you like Marc and / or his guitar and also have quite a lot of time to kill this thread which started in November 2015 is well worth a read! I was alerted to it when the story was unfolding by a fellow forumite and it was absolutely absorbing to watch it develop. Lots of it happened very, very quickly. As soon as one post had been read there would be a follow-up posted immediately afterwards and much of the events were happening in 'real-time'.

33 pages of it. The story starts to get seriously interesting on page two but it's best to start at page one;

http://www.mylespaul...rial-no.352625/

Pip.

Edited by pippy

April Lawton and Ramatam?

I'd never even heard the name(s) before but their Wiki entry sounds very intriguing and makes me want to check them out.

Pip.

Yep Ramatam, April was one of the first women that was a really successful hot guitarist, thought to be like a blend of Hendrix and Beck. She was very animated while performing, lots of fun to watch. For me, her skill level with that LP, was intimidating.

Edited by mihcmac

The pic must be from around 1970 just after he got the guitar as it still has the 'Standard' neck. In 1971 the neck was broken (the first of three breakages) and, famously, it ended up with the neck from a black Les Paul Custom. The Custom-neck version was used as the basis for a re-issue a few years ago. There was one in London which I tried and it was superb.

If you like Marc and / or his guitar and also have quite a lot of time to kill this thread which started in November 2015 is well worth a read! I was alerted to it when the story was unfolding by a fellow forumite and it was absolutely absorbing to watch it develop. Lots of it happened very, very quickly. As soon as one post had been read there would be a follow-up posted immediately afterwards and much of the events were happening in 'real-time'.

33 pages of it. The story starts to get seriously interesting on page two but it's best to start at page one;

http://www.mylespaul...rial-no.352625/

Pip.

When I first saw Marc in Germany I didn't know who he was, he was the headliner at 2 day concert also featuring the British group Gun (ie Three Man Army, Baker Gurvitz Army). I was surprised when they started playing because they didn't have a traditional drummer or bass player. The percussionist sat in a pile of Hindu style clay pot drums, Marc sat on the floor playing an acoustic, in addition the third guy had what looked like a very early patch board synthesizer. When they started playing the sound was very unusual. Then Marc picked up his Les Paul and things went insane. I attended this concert with other guitar player friends, we were totally overwhelmed with what we heard and saw. Marcs following albums didn't seem to fully capture what we heard that night, as this was the era of live 15-20 minute lead solos. It was good to hear "Bang A Gong" when the Thompson Twins released it, after Marc's death, but not quite the same. Marc was a very capable lead player, but I think his main thing was putting his poetry to music making use of the sacred Hindu rhythm's. He could be thought of as a British Bob Dylan, he was unique, perhaps the father of Glam Rock.

Part of my interest in the 70's era is that the famous guitarist that it developed were looking for early 60's and 50's guitars, because the 70's guitars just didn't seem to provide the same quality of sound. Or maybe the price, during the 70's guitars made in the 50's and 60's were not very expensive by todays standards, in 72 I bought a beat up 59 LPJ for $125.

Edited by mihcmac

Just wanted to say I bought a Les Paul hp this month that arrived with 3 little issues. I do feel that for $3600 it should be flawless and caught in qc, but I chose to keep it. Despite that I love it, and the hp features- neck, dip switches, heel, and case. It’s a hell of a guitar

• 2 years later...

Look at heritage and other companies,  you can get a 50, 60s guitar for one quarter of the price built by the 50s gibson guys on the Kalamazoo equipment., I  have 3, they are better than the old Gibson's I have owned. 62 years playing experience. 

Norman Mozley 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Old said:

Look at heritage and other companies,  you can get a 50, 60s guitar for one quarter of the price built by the 50s gibson guys on the Kalamazoo equipment., I  have 3, they are better than the old Gibson's I have owned. 62 years playing experience. 

Norman Mozley 

Ok your first post with a new account is to tell everyone to buy a Heritage guitar... And you resurrect an old a** thread from one of the biggest DBs to contribute here. Nice start pal. You must do good with the ladies too.