Gibson Brands Forums

Just been made redundant.

Guest Farnsbarns

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard lines Farns, but here's a different perspective - I got that fun little chat with the d!ck from HR and my (psychotic but I kinda liked him) boss in 2008 after 9 years and it was the best thing that ever happened. Paid off a house with the checque, got a job that eventually let me live work in a country paradise rather than a city and got my kids away from all the cr@p that goes with that scene - I know you'll probably be all tied up in knots of concern about the future right now, but what I'm saying is that you may well fall on your feet and never look back. Hope so.

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks for all the encouragement people. I am actually positive about this. I hated the job, the company and the industry. I had been saying I was leaving for over a year but just never quite found the time or energy to do it. Now I'm gonna get a few months wages and all the time in the world. Given how much I hate it this can only be positive.

Sorry to here that Farns, but if you hated the job maybe there doing you a favour in the long run, anyway it's their loss.

I hope you soon find something that you enjoy. I believe enjoying what your doing is more important than the money. When I went into teaching I left a good career and took a 50% pay cut but I thought what the hell this is more important than a few quid.

Life's to short to waste it doing something you don't like, that's not living, that's just existing.

Good luck mate, something's sure to come along.

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry to here that Farns, but if you hated the job maybe there doing you a favour in the long run, anyway it's their loss.

I hope you soon find something that you enjoy. I believe enjoying what your doing is more important than the money. When I went into teaching I left a good career and took a 50% pay cut but I thought what the hell this is more important than a few quid.

Life's to short to waste it doing something you don't like, that's not living, that's just existing.

Good luck mate, something's sure to come along.

Ian

What do you teach, Ian?

Interesting Ian - I was going to do teaching when I had redundancy. I found a loophole where I could study one year of Education at Uni and tag it to an old degree I had and be qualified to teach Economics, Commere and Business Studies in high school. Then my current job came out of the blue, but I was all set to go.

Probably just as well, as the bureaucracy and need for political correctness would have probably been too much for me to handle over time. That or girls' volleyball.

Interesting Ian - I was going to do teaching when I had redundancy. I found a loophole where I could study one year of Education at Uni and tag it to an old degree I had and be qualified to teach Economics, Commere and Business Studies in high school. Then my current job came out of the blue, but I was all set to go.

Probably just as well, as the bureaucracy and need for political correctness would have probably been too much for me to handle over time. That or girls' volleyball.

I'm not sure where about you live but in the UK what you've mentioned is called a PGCE (postgraduate certificate in education). I have a business degree too and thought about it, some of the bursaries the government are offering are quite tempting

Hey Farns sorry to hear but you'll be fine. I just went through it last August. Company changing their sales model. Going strictly through warehouse and my position of 16 years eliminated. Oh the pain!! Not really took a month off cleaned out my basement. Took my granddaughter to school every morning. Stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast,for a few days, with the wife. Just kinda got rid of the old and recharged my batteries.

Updated my resume and my contact list for networking. Posted on every job sight I could find and sent out letters to business I was interested in.

I actually found something my first real week of looking. Talked to a guy I dealt with for years in food business. asked if I had found anything yet. Told him I'd just started looking. Long story longer they needed an asst. Mgr. Money was good and the hours too. So after short discussion with the wife I took the position.

What a welcome change to what I'd been doing for the last 5 years. Less pressure, 8 hours and I go home and the best part I'm 5 minutes from home and don't have to bring anything home with me.

You'll find something brother. Companies can always use good people.

Thanks for all the encouragement people. I am actually positive about this. I hated the job, the company and the industry. I had been saying I was leaving for over a year but just never quite found the time or energy to do it. Now I'm gonna get a few months wages and all the time in the world. Given how much I hate it this can only be positive.

I felt the same way with my last job, wanted to leave but was to scared to make the move. When they laid me off I was actually happy, left the building singing "hit the road Jack..." In the spare time I had, recorded that song...

What do you teach, Ian?

Hi Farns,

I taught technology, my background in the furniture industry made it the ideal subject for me prior to that I was designing furniture and basically running the furniture manufacture & marketing it. The parent company was a large importer of hardwoods but I set up the furniture side of things. I was tied to the company on a four year contract (I wouldn't advise anyone to do that) but after two years I decided that I was going to teach so the last two years of the contract were pretty hard to see through. Sadly the furniture side of the company folded eighteen months after I departed so all that work was wasted.

I no longer teach as I got the chance of early retirement and as I'd become disillusioned with teaching (the paperwork seemed to have become more important than the kids) I took it.

Do you think Teaching could be an option for you Farns? Maybe you'll enjoy it.

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi Farns,

I taught technology, my background in the furniture industry made it the ideal subject for me prior to that I was designing furniture and basically running the furniture manufacture & marketing it. The parent company was a large importer of hardwoods but I set up the furniture side of things. I was tied to the company on a four year contract (I wouldn't advise anyone to do that) but after two years I decided that I was going to teach so the last two years of the contract were pretty hard to see through. Sadly the furniture side of the company folded eighteen months after I departed so all that work was wasted.

I no longer teach as I got the chance of early retirement and as I'd become disillusioned with teaching (the paperwork seemed to have become more important than the kids) I took it.

Do you think Teaching could be an option for you Farns? Maybe you'll enjoy it.

Ian

Doubtful. I get frustrated enough managing a team of young adults. I don't think I could do more than about an hour before I twatted a moron, whether that be another teacher or a student.

After a really bad year last year with my health and other problems I was looking forward to a great 2018. That is, until last Tuesday when I received a very suspicious email about a meeting to be held this morning. I immediately thought it was going to be redundancy and my fear was confirmed this morning.

I am officially unemployed.

In Nov 2012 I was hospitalized in the middle of the night unable to breathe. 18 days in the hospital and found out my heart was bad. I have something called 'diastolic cardiomyopathy'. They told me, if I didn't quit drinking, smoking, and other stuff I wouldn't make it 6 months. I couldn't work anymore, I couldn't do alot of things.

Point is. I am still here. I have figured out ways to make a buck and still perform with a cover band on the weekends.

Hang in there bud. This too, shall pass.

Doubtful. I get frustrated enough managing a team of young adults. I don't think I could do more than about an hour before I twatted a moron, whether that be another teacher or a student.

My money would be on a teacher.

Ian

I mean who is going to resist someone as intelligent and good looking as you?

[laugh] ...reminds me of the line from The Simpsons. Something like...

Cute Girl (gushing): "Why Homer Simpson, I do declare you are as intelligent as you are handsome!"

Homer (suspicious): "wha?....heeeyyyy!!!"

Also.. It probably wont come to this but id inform the DSS too...

In case it takes a while to get work you may want to sign on which is worth doing if nothing else but to keep your NI stuff up to date... When ever I have done it they always ask me why I didn't report it when I was made redundant cos you wont get anything for a while anyway but they like to know these things. I think its all done online now anyway from what I have heard (been a while since I did it last).

Id also say just from experience. Get straight too it... The updating of the CV and getting it out there. Time goes so so quick.. 1 month turns in to 4 really really quickly.

Just some thoughts...

In case it takes a while to get work you may want to sign on which is worth doing if nothing else but to keep your NI stuff up to date... When ever I have done it they always ask me why I didn't report it when I was made redundant cos you wont get anything for a while anyway but they like to know these things. I think its all done online now anyway from what I have heard (been a while since I did it last).

Id also say just from experience. Get straight too it... The updating of the CV and getting it out there. Time goes so so quick.. 1 month turns in to 4 really really quickly.

Just some thoughts...

...and you can get pretty cool clothes at Traid in Hammersmith (and other UK locations too I expect) for just 1 pound sterling a piece!

[wink]

Guest Farnsbarns

Just some thoughts...

I've decided to take a week off. Used most of my holiday last year being ill, but after that I'm a man on a mission. I promise you it won't take a month.

I've decided to take a week off. Used most of my holiday last year being ill, but after that I'm a man on a mission. I promise you it won't take a month.

Well good luck to you, im sure in the end this will work out to be a good thing [thumbup]

Cute Girl (gushing): "Why Homer Simpson, I do declare you are as intelligent as you are handsome!"

Homer (suspicious): "wha?....heeeyyyy!!!"

msp_lol.gif

...I've decided to take a week off...

A week off? Have I missed something here? I thought you'd just been thrown out on your ear?

msp_laugh.gif

Seriously, though; if you need anything or even just fancy popping over for a blast and some giggles give me a bell.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Archived