Gibson Brands Forums

What, no Grammy bashing post?

saturn

I'd pay seriously good money to sit in the studio with Bruno Mars and all the people he works with and crank out somea that stuff. But then, I'm funny about music and guitars and writing and making it happen. And stuff.

rct

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are telling me that at an awards show with a room full of liberal so called musicians not one of them used their time to say anything negative about the gov't or sexual harassment. I can't buy it.

What part of GUITARS AND *****Z do you guys not get? I DON'T GIVE A FUKK THE POLITICS OF IT ALL. If people can't turn that shti off in their fukking heads for three hours it's no wonder people aren't out playing or out listening and drinking and dancing.

rct

Someones crotchless undies are one size to tight.

Seriously though, don't you get enough of that shti in a day? If I picked what I did musically because of politics of the people or the places, I would have never done anything in my life. I don't get why that leads people around by the nose, and why it is only getting worse.

rct

I just watched Bruno Mars on YouTube.

I genuinely had never heard of him but then the current mainstream pop music scene just holds no interest for me.

After watching Bruno - it still doesn't. I didn't find it ear painful but rather just non-descript nothing-very-much.

Was John Lee Hooker there?!?! Or George Thorogood?!?!

msp_scared.gif

I'd Watch Those Guys Any Day of the Week ! ! ! ! !

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

It only allowed me to give you one + on your post, otherwise, there'd be a lot more. I guess it's like how our parents were when we were listening to that "bunch of noise" back in the day. My parents grew up in the 40's and listened to Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Johnny Cash, Bing Crosby, etc. They didn't understand my music, much as I don't understand nor like a lot of the music now. There's good musicians, singers and songs but I'd rather hear real instruments played by real people rather than computers. Rap and autotune just isn't my thing. It was pretty awesome seeing Buddy Guy, Paul Rodgers, Stevie Nicks, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Steve Miller band last September. That's more my kind of lineup than anything they usually have on the Grammys.

Not that I ever watched it but when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Recording, they kind of lost all credibility with me. Like or dislike Metallica, they are definitely more metal than Jethro Tull. And, I definitely like some Jethro Tull songs but in my mind they're not metal.

Then, when Megadeth were nominated (I think it was that year) for the excellent "Rust in peace" album, they gave the award to Metallica for their cover of "Stone cold crazy" (single B-side that originally appeared on an Elektra anniversery compilation). Probably took five minutes to record.

Ridiculous.

Sure, lotsa rap, which I don't much like. They use great drummers though. Several nice Martins, couple of the really nice big Gibson acoustics like EmmyLou Harris used. Little Big Town sang like pros. Bruno Mars did what he does, which is not really all that great, but headphones on that stuff reveals some pretty brilliant arranging, recording, mixing, the stuff they actually give those awards for. U2 was U2, a band any one of us would probably kill to be in. All in all, not a bad night as Grammys go.

Sure, heavy on politics, but when wasn't music? Heavy on the Me Too stuff, but when hasn't there been a ribbon or a color or a dress to wear to make a statement? When all you do is croak the lyrics to music that a dozen people created in the studio you have to do something to make yourself feel good. And some of them actually do what they do really well.

rct

Then, when Megadeth were nominated (I think it was that year) for the excellent "Rust in peace" album, they gave the award to Metallica for their cover of "Stone cold crazy" (single B-side that originally appeared on an Elektra anniversery compilation). Probably took five minutes to record.

Ridiculous.

I don't even think I heard that story. Rust in Peace was definitely an excellent album, in my opinion. I liked it better than anything Metallica has ever done. In fact, I like the original Queen version of Stone Cold Crazy better than the Metallica version. Metallica's version of Turn The Page by Bob Seger makes me cringe every time I hear it.

...Metallica's version of Turn The Page by Bob Seger makes me cringe every time I hear it.

We did Turn The Page all slide like horn part(me, poorly) up until people asked us if we did any more Metallica. I didn't know they had done it. We took it off the list immediately after hearing them stink it up.

rct

We did Turn The Page all slide like horn part(me, poorly) up until people asked us if we did any more Metallica. I didn't know they had done it. We took it off the list immediately after hearing them stink it up.

rct

I'd usually go with neck pickup or both pickups to have the sound of the horn part a little less screechy. I played with a harmonica player a few times who would just absolutely kill it (in a good way). He was just this guy we all knew that would come around from time to time and sit in (when he wasn't in jail/prison) on a few songs. He was real good but too much trouble for anyone to keep him full time.

I'd usually go with neck pickup or both pickups to have the sound of the horn part a little less screechy. I played with a harmonica player a few times who would just absolutely kill it (in a good way). He was just this guy we all knew that would come around from time to time and sit in (when he wasn't in jail/prison) on a few songs. He was real good but too much trouble for anyone to keep him full time.

I would over reverb it to try to get some distance and sadness, but it didn't usually work out as I'da liked it to. I was getting Bob Bass to play it on the harmonica occasionally, but he was usually half loaded. If we did it today I'd have him harmonicat it. That's something to think about I guess. I could dust off the slide and we could go back and forth.

eh. We're digging up I'm Yer Captain next week to see if new drummer can do it. Can't wait, one of my favoritest to play ever.

rct

Never ever cared what any musician or actor believes in. I like FZ for his music (period). Do you give a s-hit what candidate Dicky Betts supports? I'll bet you don't. What Frank did in his spare time (when he was alive) was his business. Maybe he did influence people politically, but not this guy.

Exactly. I don't care their politix their me toos their ribbons I don't care any of it. I'm not going to turn down an evening of barely dressed women folk and a bunch of boner inducing guitars and amps because somebody believes anything, either direction, different from me. Music has always been like that. Would you not watch liberal musician Neil Young school people on songwriting because of his politics? I wouldn't miss that for anything, no matter what show it was on. When I warble Helpless I am not thinking about his politics ever. Crap, even Ohio and Keep On Rockin I don't think of as political, they're just songs. And on and on and on for bunches of them that I don't care their views about anything, including U2.

Did I mention U2 was really good? And that Purple Precision is dope. I am getting one when they get to the stores, trading my Blizzard Pearl '08 for one. Can't wait.

rct

I only got a Am.Std Jazz in Black. I only need one bass. Haven't touched it in months. The D-18 sounds to sweet to not play and the D-28 is so damn tasty sounding I barley play my electrics anymore. I really want a Guild 12'er.

Why were U2 on a barge with Lady Liberty in the background. Shouldn't they be in Ireland blowing up s-hit with a bottle of Michael Collins in their hands.

I need a Jazz and a P, but Mrs wants me to get a Purple Adam now. I made a deal to trade, can't be havin two Precisions that don't get played much at all. I hope they make it to stores.

Haven't you heard? U2 is obsessed with Americur. I don't know why or how, but they are.

rct

and you're most welcome down here anytime. [thumbup]

Roight. Jist wawch faw the spidey wideys an'all the utha steengy things that'll kill ya dead as a wallaloo in the Gerby Werbdown mate.

rct

Archived