Gibson Brands Forums

It is flipping cold out

NighthawkChris

Man it is COLD here this morning in MI! I can feel every air leak in my house and I only hope that my furnace lives until the warm up around the corner that can’t come fast enough! I worry about my wife who went to work today. My newborn is home with me and my other little guy is at the grandparents. I have a fireplace if all else fails that works, but even then, I don’t want a pipe to freeze... I live in a more rural location so I don’t want to wear my well pump out with trickling water or any of that mess. Just been a weird time this year because it was so mild all winter then we get this blast of snow and blistering cold, windy crap. Temp is going to be -12 F tonight and wind chills going to be tens of degrees colder... I like the winter and snow, but this crap is garbage. I never get used to this kind of weather. Anyhow hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm in the colder spots of this polar vortex. Our governor declared a state of emergency so I was granted permission to telecommute to work if necessary. Just wish my wife had that option, but she is a tax accountant during the busiest time of her work season. I told her to make sure she has warm stuff in case of a car breakdown that way she survives. I am glad I don’t have to worry about my boys today as they are in good hands. Anyhow stay warm if you’re dealing with this stuff. It’s not fun...

It's brutally cold here in Kentucky too. Schools are out. Thankfully we didn't get but an inch or two of snow but it's about 9 degrees F here and the wind chill is no fun. The house isn't too bad and we have the heat up, the water running, the humidifier on. Our band had an all acoustic practice last night, since our rehearsal area is in our singer's barn. It has heat but it was really cold last night. I hope everyone stays warm and stays safe. I just saw where it's going to be 65 degrees F here on Monday. Mother Nature says, "You can't have all four seasons in one week." Kentucky says, "Hold my bourbon and watch this s**t!"

It's brutally cold here in Kentucky too. Schools are out. Thankfully we didn't get but an inch or two of snow but it's about 9 degrees F here and the wind chill is no fun. The house isn't too bad and we have the heat up, the water running, the humidifier on. Our band had an all acoustic practice last night, since our rehearsal area is in our singer's barn. It has heat but it was really cold last night. I hope everyone stays warm and stays safe. I just saw where it's going to be 65 degrees F here on Monday. Mother Nature says, "You can't have all four seasons in one week." Kentucky says, "Hold my bourbon and watch this s**t!"

msp_biggrin.gif yeah, you're getting more than 4 seasons this year, haha! If I wish that I could hibernate like a bear and wake up when this crap leaves us.

Man it is COLD here this morning in MI! I can feel every air leak in my house and I only hope that my furnace lives until the warm up around the corner that can't come fast enough! I worry about my wife who went to work today. My newborn is home with me and my other little guy is at the grandparents. I have a fireplace if all else fails that works, but even then, I don't want a pipe to freeze... I live in a more rural location so I don't want to wear my well pump out with trickling water or any of that mess. Just been a weird time this year because it was so mild all winter then we get this blast of snow and blistering cold, windy crap. Temp is going to be -12 F tonight and wind chills going to be tens of degrees colder... I like the winter and snow, but this crap is garbage. I never get used to this kind of weather. Anyhow hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm in the colder spots of this polar vortex. Our governor declared a state of emergency so I was granted permission to telecommute to work if necessary. Just wish my wife had that option, but she is a tax accountant during the busiest time of her work season. I told her to make sure she has warm stuff in case of a car breakdown that way she survives. I am glad I don't have to worry about my boys today as they are in good hands. Anyhow stay warm if you're dealing with this stuff. It's not fun...

I lived in Appleton, WI for two years. The coldest it got when I was there was -20. Freekin' cold, so I feel your pain.

How big is the pressure tank in your water system? if it's big enough your pump won't cycle too often and shouldn't be too bad for it.

Good luck!

Hang in there Chris!!

I'm in central Mass, over night we got about 4 inches of light fluffy snow, followed this am by gorgeous winter day, (Clear skies, sun shine, nothing like fresh fallen snow, clear blue skies and Sun,, God is a great painter no?)

Temps are going to "plummet" later. supposed to jam tonight,, we're leaving the options opened.. Jamming is fun, yea but not worth the hassle on nights like what's coming.

I lived in Appleton, WI for two years. The coldest it got when I was there was -20. Freekin' cold, so I feel your pain.

How big is the pressure tank in your water system? if it's big enough your pump won't cycle too often and shouldn't be too bad for it.

Good luck!

I think it's around 40gal. It's pretty big and around 22gal give or take have to be drained so to speak for the pump to engage. I do not think I have pipes on an outside wall and my basement is definitely WELL above freezing where the vast bulk of the plumbing resides, so I'm in the clear. My house is not an older home either so it has decent insulation but could be better I imagine. I went around all the sill plates of the walls a while back and sealed the air leaks. My windows are not that good though where I feel the cold air leaks mostly, but I can deal with this. Anyhow, thanks for the concern. Just waiting for time to go by to make it to Friday... Getting the suntan lotion ready for the 45 degree weather... Oh wait, rain in the forecast. Darn...

I feel bad for the postal workers...unless they got the day off too, not sure but I hope so.

How does it go? Neither rain nor sleet nor snow?? They don't mention bone chilling, life threatening cold though. Maybe they left that out for good reason. msp_biggrin.gif

Is winter and it being cold at the same time something new?

Of course not but we are seeing temps that we have not had since 1985 so I would say it is cold..there is cold then there is COLD. I would venture to say that there are members here that have not seen those temps in their life and I am not talking of those who live in warm climates.

Stay as warm as you all can, I heard the news say a Arctic Blast was hitting the U.S. They were calling for a -45 windchill last night here and this morning it was something like -17 with a -25 windchill at 7:00 am. My SUV was in the garage all night and the battery dead this morning. After doing a quick charge on it, it started and I let it charge up and pulled it back in, turned it off and tried starting it again right away. Dead as a Door nail. Got a appointment to get a new battery at Firestone tomorrow. Normally I change them out myself but its too darn cold to do it myself as my hands freeze up.

yea it's all coming to a neighborhood near me tonight... we're all good, our "hood" is smack dab in the middle of the fire/police stations to one side, a major local hospital campus to the other.

being in the middle, our grids come up way before anyone else.. our old gas furnace doesn't need AC, our GAS stove thermostat runs on 2 AA and we have a genny... Oh and our stove/oven is Gas too... manual pilot override there too

Could probably survive a nuke strike till the side effects took us out.. !! (but tbh,, we don't want to find out if THAT'S true...)

Polar Vortex Shmortext...

well there is the gas line fail and the subsequent explosions.. so.......... LOL!

stay warm peeps.

Archived