Gibson Brands Forums

So I'm Minding My Own Business Looking at SG's

BBP,  thats a huge difference. I can't believe that other one got through any kind of inspection. maybe someone new on the job stuck it in there so he wouldn't get written up. who knows. glad this one is good. cuz it really sounded like you liked it. 

Here's a look inside the control cavity.  I don't think I've ever seen this wiring scheme.  The volume controls are wired sixties style but the tone caps and controls are kind of like the Memphis Tone Circuit.  It sounds great.  Very interestingk!  The tone from the guitar is awesome.  Something about the wiring or the pickups.  Just very useable.  Great lead and rhythm tones from both pickups.  Controls work great.  Got lots of compliments.

There's some kind of weird sympathetic vibration in this guitar when you play the high e string, and one of the possible causes is that ground wire going to the bridge that's too tight - in the upper left of the photo.  Or it may be the nut, which was cut really weird, with the strings sitting down about 1/8" below the top of the nut.  The high e string was super high at the nut, like about 3 to 4 64ths, rather than 1-1/2 64th.  I had to take that down to the correct height.  I played it nice and loud for a couple hours and the ringing has settled down a little.  The adventure continues.

69089525_10216664303653237_8464026285687

Edited by badbluesplayer

Kudos to you for getting it right, but I think sometimes there's a curse to knowing too much...  but then again - if you walk the path as you're doing, I bet you'll get all the kinks worked out and have an envy inducing guit at the end of it.  FTR - I'm waiting for everything to be right and your 'this is awesome' post 🙂

I got the nut slots down pretty close to where they need to be and it plays great now.  Awesome.  I'm just going to loosen up the tight ground wire to the bridge and see if I can't get rid of the ringing.  The new style ABR bridge has these wobbly posts 🤪that screw into the inserts in the guitar.  So the bridge posts could be ringing.  I might have to try some loctite or teflon tape on them.  I might have to change the bridge.  Somebody's practicing engineering without a license here... 😆 (engineer joke)

19 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I got the nut slots down pretty close to where they need to be and it plays great now.  Awesome.  I'm just going to loosen up the tight ground wire to the bridge and see if I can't get rid of the ringing. 

How do you go about that, do you have to replace the wire (my wire stretchers just don't work that well).  'luck!

2 hours ago, billroy said:

How do you go about that, do you have to replace the wire (my wire stretchers just don't work that well).  'luck!

I was wondering that myself!  I'll try melting the solder and pull the wire back out away from the pot enough to leave maybe half of the wire still in the joint.  If I can get just enough so the pot can wiggle a little then I'll know it's not too tight.  I can always tack on a little more wire.

Here's the nut.  The PLEK machine must have messed it up, cause the top of the nut is too high and somebody had already filed down the nut slots at the factory.  The strings were all still too high - the high e was like 3.5/64" high and it should be 1/64.  It was like playing a hammock.  I filed down the slots some more.  I still need to file down the top of the nut.  Plays great, sounds awesome!

68499401_10216687342909204_1690890278967

6 hours ago, Karloff said:

Gibson needs a class in properly flowed solder joints.

Big corporations have to use lead free solder which doesn’t flow like 63/37 that we know and love. Actually looks fine considering that but homeboy did burn the insulation a bit. No big deal

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Big corporations have to use lead free solder which doesn’t flow like 63/37 that we know and love. Actually looks fine considering that but homeboy did burn the insulation a bit. No big deal

I probably knew that but forgot. thnx. i worked in the electronics field for  20 years. did a lot of soldering.  

• 2 weeks later...