Gibson Brands Forums

Getting married in four months...

Tim Plains

I think I suggested this once before, Tim.... separate bank accounts. One less thing to fight about. Agree on a way to split bills/expenses -- or even do one joint account for common expenses if need be -- but avoid the one giant pot scenario. Then she's not upset by your gear purchases and you are not bothered by the number of purses she needs.

life just gets better when your married.

Assuming you've picked the right woman, life gets immeasurably better. If you have not, it gets immeasurably worse. :)

I'm sure you've done your homework. Congratulations and best wishes.

I remember getting married. We sat down at a roulette table, I looked at my ring and said: It's sucking my will to live!!! Since then, I've had the pleasure of Homz forgetting either my birthday or our anniversary for most of our married life. Word to the wise--"it's my anniversary too" is not a particularly good excuse for completely forgetting it.

CONGRATS - If your lucky it could be the best thing youve ever done.

Nope life doesn't end with marriage not even close, I married my best friend and couldn't be happier she truly is the first thing I want to see in the morning and the last thing I want to see before I go to bed. As far as money and buying things like guitars depends on the woman. My wife knows I love guitars and thinks that as far as addictions it's a pretty non-evasive one, she has learned a ton about guitars can tell almost any brand by sight and most by sound, she's a perfect person to take guitar shopping since she has a good ear and definite educated opinions on tone, sustain and overall sound.

She's also at an executive level herself and doesn't need my money and in fact has purchased several guitars as gifts or just when she sees something she knows I would love. As an example it was her that found and purchased my 71 recording model knowing I was looking for one.

I know it sounds like I'm a happy newlywed and in some ways I am but were celebrating the 26th anniversary next month with a trip to Hawaii... Hmmm KOA

I remember getting married. We sat down at a roulette table' date=' I looked at my ring and said: It's sucking my will to live!!! Since then, I've had the pleasure of Homz forgetting either my birthday or our anniversary for most of our married life. Word to the wise--"it's my anniversary too" is not a particularly good excuse for completely forgetting it. [/quote']

Mrs Homz makes a very good point about not missing the romance holidays of the anniversary and her birthday, I'd also add don't try to blow off Valentines day either especially by saying "hell I thought our anniversary would replace Valentines Day" romance is a little different to the wife and that one still costs me at least once a year and

I did it 20+ years ago. flowers mean something "even if they are already dead when you buy them", another line you might never want to use...

I was married for 22 years and I have been unmarried for 23 so I am not sure I ought to be giving any advise. I don't think you ought to "give up" anything to be married. (you have no idea, incidentally, what the fair sex spend on personal maintenance but it is way MORE than the most expensive guitar you can purchase). Advise: (a) it's a roller coaster ride (O:) don't "engage" because you will always lose (just do what you want to do anyway), © kids are great -- the best thing you will ever do is kids -- it makes "sense" out of everything (even jobs), (d) don't take it too seriously, life is short and nobody wants to read your biography, (e) music makes your soul happy -- do it as much as you can (f ) try to find something to smile about every day (and ignore the bad stuff because it doesn't last) (g ) always carry a handkerchief and always be on top -- that way you can keep your nose clean and not screw up.

Any advice? Is the world as I know it going to abruptly end?

I know one thing's for sure...no more high end guitars for a while after I say those dreaded words...

PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT!!!!

MAKE SURE YOUR GUITARS ARE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE JUST IN CASE!!!

CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE. :-k

I've been married now for 10 years. I was 35 and Jill was 34 when we were married. Together we have three beautiful children. Sure sometimes things don't go smoothly, it never does, but together we perceiver.

The biggest advice I can give you is never forget your vows. Hold them close to the heart.

Also, during the difficult times, never use the "D" word. You'll get through it together and it will make you wiser.

Californiaman is right on about the D word.

NEVER throw that one around in anger, it will haunt you forever.

I'll tell you more in a PM if you don't get it.

I wish you luck.

I married my best friend

As far as money and buying things like guitars depends on the woman.

My wife knows I love guitars and thinks that as far as addictions it's a pretty non-evasive one' date=' she has learned a ton about guitars can tell almost any brand by sight and most by sound, she's a perfect person to take guitar shopping since she has a good ear and definite educated opinions on tone, sustain and overall sound.

Hawaii... Hmmm KOA [/quote']

Hah!

Good stuff RS!

We're very similar in that regard.

I also bought most of my guitars before we married, she had become an enthusiast herself by then.

She knows I'm a picky buyer and I won't settle for second best when I decide to whip out the wallet, she's still a farm girl at heart and doesn't spend money needlessly.

Still, a diamond now and then for her, along with flowers for no reason keeps her happy.

Like RS, my wife has become an important part of my guitar buying decisions.

She doesn't just look at the pretty ones now. She found out that a $200 Epiphone can have a flame top as well....

She knows the difference.

I'm probably better at giving divorce advice, seems I'm much better at that.....

Hope you never need it Tim!

Archived