Gibson Brands Forums

Electrics - for loud use only?

uncle fester

Folks - This forum is drawing me to the world of electrics, but I'm an old fart - and finding opportunities to plug in and play loud are minimal.  So here's my question - are there places for electrics in quieter settings (where an electric would shine over an acoustic), or really only when you want to put out volume? 

Well, at home I play my electrics unplugged much more than plugged in.

But I also use my electric at "acoustic" gigs. My buddy plays his Martin and I accompany him with my Les Paul or KokoCaster played into the PA. I do put a chorus and OD pedal in the line for some subtle effects but for the most part it's just clean through the PA. Works great. 

Absolutely no offence intended I assure you, Billroy, but I must say that strikes me as a slightly odd question.

If I want to play 'electric' it's because I want a particular tone which one of my solid-bodied things can provide - and an acoustic cannot - rather than because I wish to play loud. The last time I played out at a volume which might be considered truly 'Loud' was several years ago at a private function. Even sitting-in at an open-mic night round these parts requires no great 'Wattage' as the bands here never really turn their amps up too high. Nor is it even necessary to crank things up for the sort of stuff I tend to play - JJ Cale/BB King/P.Green etc - and my amp is sufficiently versatile to allow me to attain the desired tone(s) at a very low volume-level.

I'm sure there will be many who hold that nothing quite sounds like a Les Paul being played through a properly warmed-up tube amp wound-up to the max - and they are right - but IMX those opportunities rarely come along these days. Personally I don't miss the ear-ache. I'm an Old Fart, too...

Pip.

I don't play live anymore, I mostly play/practice unplugged - noodling - and that works most of time ok. At weekends, though, I plug in and I have two small amps. One is a Fender Blues junior which I love and the other is a Vox Valvetronix which I just picked up and am getting used to. It is what they call a 'modeling' amp which is new to me but is surely is a lot of fun! The Blues Junior is 15w and the Vox is 20 but they both sound very cool at lower volumes in the den. Just my 10c worth!

1 minute ago, Casso said:

...At weekends, though, I plug in and I have two small amps. One is a Fender Blues junior which I love and the other is a Vox Valvetronix which I just picked up and am getting used to.

I picked up a Vox AD30VT used for about 100 bucks.  11 amp models and 11 effects.  It's 30W max, but it's got a dial on the back where you can dial the wattage anywhere between 0 and 30.  I play mostly at home but still like to plug in my acoustic/electrics....

vox204.jpg

vox206.jpg

5 minutes ago, Cougar said:

I picked up a Vox AD30VT used for about 100 bucks.  11 amp models and 11 effects.  It's 30W max, but it's got a dial on the back where you can dial the wattage anywhere between 0 and 30.  I play mostly at home but still like to plug in my acoustic/electrics....

I have this amp for a few years now. Great amp for the money!!

I have a bunch of amps and a bunch of electrics and I play exclusively at home, at low(ish) volumes, in my study. I would love to crank my Marshall and get the power amp overdrive that everyone seems to rave about but sadly, a wife, kids and close neighbours mean I have to be satisfied in recreating that tone with an overdrive pedal.

Mostly, it sounds OK although I would caution against chasing the tone rabbit hole where you think 'oh, just this pedal/amp/guitar' will make my tone awesome - it's an easy trap to get into!

Latest acquisition is a Fender Blues Jr and couple with a Boss EQ pedal to raise the Mids and Highs just a smidge, it really sings. Loving it so far.

What is the reason you don't want to play loud?  Is it family, neighbors or hearing loss concerns, or something else?

I play mostly rock and blues and I like a driven tube tone that can be harder to get at low volume.  I have a Marshall DSL1HR that is 1 watt and has an attenuator down to 0.1 watt.  I also have a little Bugera V5 that's 5 watts with attenuation to 1 and 0.1.  Both can give good tone at low volumes.  

If I want to be really quite, I use a Line 6 Pocket Pod and headphones.  That can give you any tone at any volume you want and the only ambient sound will be your strings.

Edited by Black Dog

Ok all - so volume is not a req't, but what about all you folks picking up multiple guits with different p'up configurations etc...  are you able to get a flavor for the differences in those at lower vol's.  Again - sorry if naïve questions.

And yes the reason not to play loud is to not disturb everyone else around.  I don't have a proper place to regularly do it.

Edited by billroy

15 minutes ago, billroy said:

Ok all - so volume is not a req't, but what about all you folks picking up multiple guits with different p'up configurations etc...  are you able to get a flavor for the differences in those at lower vol's.  Again - sorry if naïve questions.

And yes the reason not to play loud is to not disturb everyone else around.  I don't have a proper place to regularly do it.

Definitely. Volume is not necessarily required to hear the characteristics of each guitar, at least not in my (albeit limited) experience.

I own a 2015 Les Paul, a 2019 HP Les Paul, a 2012 SG, a 2019 Firebird, a 2019 Fender Elite HSS Shawbucker, a 2016 Fender Tele and a 2012 Fender Strat and they all sound different with a unique voice, even at the low volumes I play at. Different guitars suit different amps and pedals too.

Thank you all - I guess I owe it to myself to start down the electric rabbit hole, add a couple and see how my playing habits change... let's see how this plays out with the powers that be.  Just as an FYI - I'm playing through a Fender Blues Jr, no pedals.  Love the amp, but do need a little volume to get that distortion to kick in just right.  I think maybe it's the right time to go play a bit!

35 minutes ago, billroy said:

...what about all you folks picking up multiple guits with different p'up configurations etc...  are you able to get a flavor for the differences in those at lower vol's....

Absolutely.

Pip.

If you have a Blues Jr, a top tip I learned was to turn the Master control to max and then use the Volume control to set the level. I have mine set to 2 and that is plenty loud enough but it apparently helps to get the best tone out of them.

51 minutes ago, Filbert said:

Latest acquisition is a Fender Blues Jr and couple with a Boss EQ pedal to raise the Mids and Highs just a smidge, it really sings. Loving it so far

I play my Blues Junior with nothing else - no pedals. Not to say I would never use a pedal with it - I have used various things such as Chorus and O/D etc in the past. But I have to say I truly love playing through the amp as is, especially with my LP and an Epi hollowbody that I have. It sounds very rich and deep to me although I certainly do not have miles and years of amp experience.

4 minutes ago, Filbert said:

If you have a Blues Jr, a top tip I learned was to turn the Master control to max and then use the Volume control to set the level. I have mine set to 2 and that is plenty loud enough but it apparently helps to get the best tone out of them.

Cool! Many thanks for this tip!!

2 hours ago, saturn said:

Well, at home I play my electrics unplugged much more than plugged in.

But I also use my electric at "acoustic" gigs. My buddy plays his Martin and I accompany him with my Les Paul or KokoCaster played into the PA. I do put a chorus and OD pedal in the line for some subtle effects but for the most part it's just clean through the PA. Works great. 

I do that alot too. sitting watching tv with my wife. and it bugs the crap outta her til she asks e to go in my den to play, which was where I wanted to be in the 1st place. lol

Electric guitars are just different paint brushes.

you can use both in almost any situation.  the guitar is merely the vehicle your hands use to put the right sound into the moment.

There are times when the acoustic is the RIGHT brush to use, and times when it may not be.  Doesn't really have anything to do with Volume.

21 hours ago, billroy said:

Thank you all - I guess I owe it to myself to start down the electric rabbit hole, add a couple and see how my playing habits change... let's see how this plays out with the powers that be.  Just as an FYI - I'm playing through a Fender Blues Jr, no pedals.  Love the amp, but do need a little volume to get that distortion to kick in just right.  I think maybe it's the right time to go play a bit!

Bill--  B Jr.s can use natural overdrive,, just crank the volume, and leave the master way down low.. or  perhaps you can pick yerself up up adecent Over Drive pedal.   There are TRILLIONS of them out there..  A good one that would probably do it for ya and is easy on the wallet is a Fulltone OCD

I have a few, Barber Burn Uint, Radial Tonebone Classic and a Black Star Dual HT.

I play my electrics most of the time. In an amp and fairly loud with the band at rehearsals and at gigs. Most of the time at home I'm at fairly low volume or completely unplugged. For that, I have different amps for different things. My Marshall valve amps (DLS40CR 40 watt combo and DSL100HR half stack) are for live gigs and rehearsals. My solid state Fender Mustang and Marshall Code50 are mostly for home use and for backup amps. I use the Marshall DSL40CR combo most of the time and use the half stack for larger gigs where it's a bigger stage and 300-500 people instead of 100 or so.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, billroy said:

Folks - This forum is drawing me to the world of electrics, but I'm an old fart - and finding opportunities to plug in and play loud are minimal.  So here's my question - are there places for electrics in quieter settings (where an electric would shine over an acoustic), or really only when you want to put out volume? 

Electrics and Acoustics are two different instruments.

Although electrics can get louder, that isn't their only function. The sustain is different, the tone is different (and adjustable) and there are fewer overtones.

While their uses overlap in a broad spectrum, each will do some things the other cannot do.

Insights and incites by Notes