Gibson Brands Forums

Whammy Bar songs

uncle fester

I'm playing a new guitar with a whammy bar.  Ive, never played with a whammy bar before - but figure it's there why not give it a go.  After giving it a go, I'm pretty good at playing a chord and then going wah wah wah wah with it, but that's about it.  Any recommendations on good songs to get used to using a whammy bar?

• Like 1

what is the WHAMMY in question bill?

you looking to get into extreme dive bombing?  Any rock tune recorded from 1982 till 1989,, that ought to do it..   Then again,  Ritchie Blackmore and Jimi were all over that thing way before the 70s ever even ended...   Night Ranger, Dokken, White Snake, Van Halen,,  ya know... I could go on..  if you were in a cover band in the 80s and you didn't have an axe wiht a looking trem system,   you were an outcast,, unclean, unholy, no one would go near you,, you was a bum..

or if you want more subtle use like what you would do with a bigsby? Chet! he pioneered the Chet Arm that you'll see on Country Gents.  Brian Stetzer,  Eddie Cochran and also  for a more modern take listen to the FIRST Johnny A album (Sometime Tuesday Morning) some of the most tasty use of a Gibson/Bigsby examples I can think of.    Then of course, there's Jeff Beck, and well, with that dude,  just like Chet, you're jumping into the deep end of the pool...

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

what is the WHAMMY in question bill?

you looking to get into extreme dive bombing?  Any rock tune recorded from 1982 till 1989,, that ought to do it..   Then again,  Ritchie Blackmore and Jimi were all over that thing way before the 70s ever even ended...   Night Ranger, Dokken, White Snake, Van Halen,,  ya know... I could go on..  if you were in a cover band in the 80s and you didn't have an axe wiht a looking trem system,   you were an outcast,, unclean, unholy, no one would go near you,, you was a bum..

or if you want more subtle use like what you would do with a bigsby? Chet! he pioneered the Chet Arm that you'll see on Country Gents.  Brian Stetzer,  Eddie Cochran and also  for a more modern take listen to the FIRST Johnny A album (Sometime Tuesday Morning) some of the most tasty use of a Gibson/Bigsby examples I can think of.    Then of course, there's Jeff Beck, and well, with that dude,  just like Chet, you're jumping into the deep end of the pool...

LOL - you just make me laugh!  I don't even have any idea what it's used for,  I think I too old for the deep dive bombing stuff, probably see if I can work it into some songs with the more subtle uses.  Will give Chet a deeper look, but also very much dig Brian Setzer.

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

Agree   Jeff Beck is a master of using the  bar...

Ok - Beck will be investigated 🙂

22 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Barracuda can be a fun one to try, if its not too old for ya.. Mostly just dive tremlo-ing harmonics on fret 24 then fret 5..

Barracuda - that could be wicked cool, not sure where they use the whammy in there, but think I just got my next project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billroy said:

LOL - you just make me laugh!  I don't even have any idea what it's used for,  I think I too old for the deep dive bombing stuff, probably see if I can work it into some songs with the more subtle uses.  Will give Chet a deeper look, but also very much dig Brian Setzer.

Ok - Beck will be investigated 🙂

Barracuda - that could be wicked cool, not sure where they use the whammy in there, but think I just got my next project.

Sorry I said fret 24 .. meant harmonics on fret 12 then 5... for the iconic intro......  just woke up having my coffee now..

Note that you will basically get the same harmonics on fret 5 and 17.... All of the harmonic points are fun to mess with a tremolo...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

David Gilmour has some very tasteful use of a whammy bar for subtle use. Hendrix, Beck, Vai, Satriani, Van Halen, Sambora, Rhoads, just about every 80's rock band.

I have three guitars equipped with one, two of them locking. I pretty much only use them for dive or effect. We all had at least one guitar with them in the 80's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also Stevie Ray Vaughan, for some blues style whammy...

Note that tremolo's have different amounts of effective range like the Strat style usually has the most while the Bigsby style has less  but is very stable and the FR style with lost of extra hardware to help keep it in tune..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Having read through the posts, I thought I'd throw in Allan Holdsworth. I think he's got some of the most musical, subtle, and tasteful whammy techniques of all time. There's also Frank Marino with his "hyena laugh"! Check out Jairus Mozee for the gospel side of things. Most of all, billroy, have fun discovering what you want it to sound like! Peace!

• Like 2

Many good suggestions here as to songs that used a whammy.  If you are performing though, just use it sparingly - less is more.  If you are using it just to use it cause you can, it will lose it's effectiveness. 

I don't think any of us on here have Jeff Beck or Chet Atkins level skills so just have fun with it, but don't get too carried away.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

Whammy's can be addictive, I put one on my Explorer and found I was drawn to it more than my others. So I looked for non-damaging tremolo's to install on my other guitars.. Earlier I went through an Ibanez phase with Locking FR's. Then a retro Gibson phase without them, but then started using a 1st gen DigiTech Whammy pedal.. Now I'm in a P90/whammy phase..  😫

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

too many good comments to reply to them all, but I got some serious you-tube time in front of me.  Mihcmac, thx for the demo - not sure where I'll fit these sounds into my playing, but I'm determined...probably figuring out how to incorporate the more subtle uses.  The tremolo I'm using is on my SG...  '68 or so...  not a huge amount of play, but enough where I want to see what I can do.

and yes, will use it sparingly when performing (thx TG, definitely worth noting).

• Like 1