Gibson Brands Forums

Gear That Is No More...

Murph

Effects boxes that plugged right into the amp.  I remember a guy that played a Flying V into three or four of them plugged into each other into his Marshall.  That was a disaster waiting to happen.

Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster.  LPB 1 plugged into yer amp, LPB 2 on the floor.  Noisiest gottdam thing ever invented but man I loved my LPB 2s.

Fender Rhodes.

Steel milk crates, the original amp stand.

rct

23 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I have to agree with you on the original ones, but they made guitars that looked like Les Paul and Telecaster models too.

And these ain't too bad.

NN01_2Parkers.jpg

For sure, those are not quite as ungainly as the first models they released.  and that "Void" under the treble strings,,,..  just too much for my feeble brain.   These you have it is not quite as pronounced as the earlier ones were.  It seems to me that they added some "wood" in the bottom line of he head stock during the course of change for the body styles.

but if YOU love em Notes, and they play and sound good, that's all that really counts.  Not for me, but just my preference.

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

chics willing to be buddies ...

Oh I hate them!!!

You work real hard,  think your in there and then they put you on their buddy list!! Pisses me off!!! I hate being on the buddy list!

Edited by Big Bill

40 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Oh I hate them!!!

You work real hard,  think your in there and then they put you on their buddy list!! Pisses me off!!! I hate being on the buddy list!

Just missed opportunities for pheromone overload to make your brain crazy.

59 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Oh I hate them!!!

well you know theres a reason they always sacrificed the virgins back in the day. they weren't about to give up their roadies with benefits ...

On 11/26/2019 at 10:31 AM, kidblast said:

<...snip...>but if YOU love em Notes, and they play and sound good, that's all that really counts.  Not for me, but just my preference.

Yep, everybody has their preferences, and thankfully there are so many to choose from.

Personally I think a Fender Strat looks better than these Strat-ish guitars, but I went for function over form

1. Less than 5 lbs but sustains longer than my 8lb LTD-Les Paul-ish guitar
  2. Graph tech nut and bridge, Sperzel locking tuners, & straight string path makes them stay in tune better than my guitars that don't have a whammy
  3. Hardened stainless steel frets, I don't think I can wear them out
  4. Contoured and balanced body, when I take my hands off and put them back, it hasn't moved. It's more like wearing it than holding it
  5. 14" radius, 25.5" scale works for my hands
  6. One master volume and master tone, easy to adjust between notes while playing no matter what pickup(s) I'm using
  7. Piezo pickup under the bridge that I can blend in with the third knob to add more sparkle and twang to the tone

But not wanting to hijack the thread, more gear that is no more

Mellotron

Synclavier

Fairlight

Roland Sound Brush floppy disk MIDI sequence player

Floppy disks

Electra guitars with Effects modules that plugged into the guitar

iPods

Insights and incites by Notes

From the 80s and 90s - Atari 1040ST computer with b&w monitor and  Mastertracks Pro! 

In the UK - WEM and HH were 2 of the bigger names in gear during the 60s and 70s.....guitars by Burns, Hayman, Shergold, Vox.....budget Carlsboro amps...my 1st big valve amp was a 60w Sound City, I even had PA columns (Peavey) mid/late 70s.

Edited by jdgm

Ovation solid-body electric guitars. 

I really fancied owning either the Deacon or the Breadwinner. 
(I can't say that I ever learned the difference between the two models.)

There are a lot of photos out there of Ace Frehley playing a white one, back in the pre-KISS and early KISS days.

😒

ovation_Deacon.jpg

I did eventually own an Ovation (Celebrity, Kaman, MIJ) solid body electric bass.

Bought it in a music store in Bad Kreuznach, Germany in 1990. 
Played it and loved it for many years. 

It was eventually stolen from my house in Hawaii in early 2001. 
Some burglar bastard made off with it, along with a cheap Epiphone strat-copy, and a bunch of other valuables (wrist watches, hand guns, a broadsword, etc). 

Stupid thief took the inexpensive guitars, and left my black Gibson Les Paul standing right there in the corner on its stand. 

Anyway, my Ovation Celebrity bass looked a lot like this one, only it was a deep, dark blue. Almost purple, it was. 
😕

000000114138709-00-290x290.jpg