Gibson Brands Forums

Pink Floyd’s The Later Years Revealed

Rabs

Good stuff.  Floyd has always been an enigma to me. My favorite album is Division Bell followed by Momentary Lapse of Reason.  Syd Barrett never did anything for me,  guess I didn’t get the original Floyd, never grasped his talent. Found The Wall to be absolute rubbish and can’t bring myself to listen to Dark Side of the Moon anymore. I have always said the signature sound of Pink Floyd is David Gilmour’s guitar work and Richard Wrights keyboards. I may be showing my ignorance but Floyd was better without Waters.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm out of step here because I bought my last Floyd album in 1971. It was Meddle. I already had Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother (and the Zabriski Point Soundtrack). They were my favourite band up until that point. 

I saw them when they were debuting Dark Side of the Moon, though it hadn't been released then. 

Actually I did get around to buying Dark Side, but it was about 30 later, along with a CD version of Saucerful. Yep, I was into the weird stuff.  

I have not even heard a lot of the later albums.

I've never understood why two really good songwriters and arrangers like Gilmour and Waters couldn't Just. Get it. Together.  I like some songs, and still do Wish You Were Here, but haven't really followed them at all.

rct

13 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Good stuff.  Floyd has always been an enigma to me. My favorite album is Division Bell followed by Momentary Lapse of Reason.  Syd Barrett never did anything for me,  guess I didn’t get the original Floyd, never grasped his talent. Found The Wall to be absolute rubbish and can’t bring myself to listen to Dark Side of the Moon anymore. I have always said the signature sound of Pink Floyd is David Gilmour’s guitar work and Richard Wrights keyboards. I may be showing my ignorance but Floyd was better without Waters.  

Gilmour fan myself, im just drawn to the landscapes he creates, but we all have different tastes

I find for all the stick it gets, 'The Final Cut' is actually a bit of an un-appreciated gem. Yes, it's Roger Walters banging the same drum about why his dad had to die and why his school days were so crap but the album has some good lyricism and arrangements on it. 'Paranoid Eyes' in particular is a great track.

'Animals' is probably my favourite Floyd album though. After my Dad died, I inherited his vinyl collection, bought myself a decent turntable and have slowly added to what he left me and I have a much better appreciation of 70's rock now.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 4:00 PM, Filbert said:

I find for all the stick it gets, 'The Final Cut' is actually a bit of an un-appreciated gem. Yes, it's Roger Walters banging the same drum about why his dad had to die and why his school days were so crap but the album has some good lyricism and arrangements on it. 'Paranoid Eyes' in particular is a great track.

'Animals' is probably my favourite Floyd album though. After my Dad died, I inherited his vinyl collection, bought myself a decent turntable and have slowly added to what he left me and I have a much better appreciation of 70's rock now.

i agree. I've always liked the Final Cut myself.