Gibson Brands Forums

When a Band Turns into a Corporation

Big Bill

You'd have to have been part of the discussions and rehearsals I guess but it's unfortunate on both sides, but they both have points too...

for the drummer - he would be upset not to be part of the recognition by actually playing, but there would be other ways he could be involved and revered which he could embrace?

for the band...if they are doing a 'career spanning medley' I get that you need to really rehearse that - it's new and may well have unique linking element and a structure where you need your drummer to be spot on or it could really suffer live, but could they have also done a regular song straight with him on drums as part of the show?

A bit of give and take required on both sides by the sound of it.

• Like 1

I’m going to add I really don’t know jack about anything important to this. The idea of me losing out on something I do with a lot of passion and getting cut out for no good reason - not that this Aerosmith situation pertains to me or is the actual case here - would be painful on my account. That’s where people might insinuate the trouble with all of this. Whatever really the deal is here it happened and not on either side of this thing as I don’t lose sleep over it. Just saying again I’d hate to be left out of something I love to do that I put in a ton of work for. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

My favorite opener we ever did in my whole life, long time ago.  The guy with the tele is pretty fukking good no?

Bass player ain't bad on this one.  We did this one a lot back then too:

I have a b0ner now.

rct

Cat Got Your Tongue?

I read Stevens book. I hate that guy. Usually whenever I read a book about a rock star you find out how big a d-ouche they are.  I can separate the tool from the tunes though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

My favorite opener we ever did in my whole life, long time ago.  The guy with the tele is pretty fukking good no?

Bass player ain't bad on this one.  We did this one a lot back then too:

I have a b0ner now.

rct

I like Joe Perry.. He works hard at it.. Up close he looks to be having a good time.. Steven is another story..

He does work hard, he does have a good time.  Our playing is remarkably similar, we both cheat the same ways, watching him play is tough sometimes, can't figure what he's doing, then I say, Oh!  I do that!  They were a great band.  Don't know what they are in recent years.  Decade I guess, longer maybe.

rct

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I almost forgot to add that Aerosmith song I like that Testament covered was Nobody’s Fault. That song rocks - but I like the Testament version more. Aerosmith does a great job playing it of course too. 

Nobody's Fault and Round and Round (and maybe Kings & Queens and Voodoo Medicine Man) are probably the closest Aerosmith ever got to metal. I believe Brad Whitford was the main writer for all of them, except Kings & Queens which is credited to most of the band + producer Jack Douglas.  

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Noting IMHO Aerosmith has done is metal.  Hard Rock sure. Metal nope. Testament is metal. Saw them in Hawaii in 92 or 3.

I said closest they got to metal, however, in 1975 & 1976 Nobody's Fault and Round & Round would have been pretty heavy...like going in the direction of Black Sabbath. By today's standards it's not that heavy or 'metal', but then it would have been. Led Zeppelin sometimes got classified as metal back then, when they are hardly Sepultura, Darkane or Textbook Tragedy (if you know those last 2 bands I mentioned? ). 

Edited by cody78

28 minutes ago, cody78 said:

I said closest they got to metal, however, in 1975 & 1976 Nobody's Fault and Round & Round would have been pretty heavy...like going in the direction of Black Sabbath. By today's standards it's not that heavy or 'metal', but then it would have been. Led Zeppelin sometimes got classified as metal back then, when they are hardly Sepultura, Darkane or Textbook Tragedy (if you know those last 2 bands I mentioned? ). 

I know Sepultura those guys are brutal.  Yeah the might Zep was not Metal at least to me. Once again Hard Rock, was as heavy as I would classify them. Hell the Beatles were considered a Pop band by many.  Pepper was considered  Psychedelic.

I like metal and hence why I probably never got into the Aerosmith stuff of my MTV generation - when they actually played music videos. I was never really turned on by any of their old stuff, but when I saw Testament covered an Aerosmith tune, I recognized them for this one song. And when I say I like metal, nothing that’s just downtuned chugging. I like bands like Pantera, Megadeth, Testament, and bands of the like. MAYBE throw in the early Metallica stuff but even now I have a hard time listening. I learned to play guitar by buying the Kill em All, RTL, MoP books decades ago, but now I just don’t like them. That’s another story though and constitutes another thread IMHO. Either way I never thought of Aerosmith as anything other than rock plain and simple and it wasn’t my gig. I could have lived without ever knowing about them - not to talk smack on their success. They are living a lot better than me with the exception of Mr Kramer apparently. Even then, I’m sure he’s got a few more bucks in the bank than me... good for him. Good for them. 

11 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I like metal and hence why I probably never got into the Aerosmith stuff of my MTV generation - when they actually played music videos. I was never really turned on by any of their old stuff, but when I saw Testament covered an Aerosmith tune, I recognized them for this one song. And when I say I like metal, nothing that’s just downtuned chugging. I like bands like Pantera, Megadeth, Testament, and bands of the like. MAYBE throw in the early Metallica stuff but even now I have a hard time listening. I learned to play guitar by buying the Kill em All, RTL, MoP books decades ago, but now I just don’t like them. That’s another story though and constitutes another thread IMHO. Either way I never thought of Aerosmith as anything other than rock plain and simple and it wasn’t my gig. I could have lived without ever knowing about them - not to talk smack on their success. They are living a lot better than me with the exception of Mr Kramer apparently. Even then, I’m sure he’s got a few more bucks in the bank than me... good for him. Good for them. 

Metal with all music has its good and bad (for me). 'Tallica are now a bunch of uber tools. Up to Justice they were killer, then they got lame. I'm selective about what I listen to but if I like the song or album by any band I will listen to it no matter who the artist is.

If you ever watched Metalocolypse I am quoting or paraphrasing I think line from Murderface "Good rock talk".

Where is my banana sticker?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

Most of these metal people are just people. I met Paulo from Sepultura because of his interest in Gracie Jiu Jitsu at an Aikido Dojo. I ended up in his home playing his guitar collection, in particular an acoustic bass I couldn't seem to put down. We watched Gracie videos all night and had a great time. At the time I was focusing mostly on Aikido, but shortly later I started another new group. Paulo is a great normal person that happened to be in the right place at the right time. My bass players mother, from this group, lived in retirement community next door to Steven Tylers mother, they were good friends. If you are lucky enough to board the Rock Train Express, keep doing what ever it is your doing, hold on with both hands  till its over. I was hanging on the side flopping in the wind, but was fortunate enough to grow up in California at a crucial time in music with so many that were being successful, they were all just people.

I did some editing here after being quoted. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

18 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Most of these metal people are just people. I met Paulo from Sepultura because of his interest in Gracie Jiu Jitsu at an Aikido Dojo. I ended up in his home playing his guitar collection, in particular an acoustic bass I couldn't seem to put down. We watched Gracie videos all night and had a great time. At the time I was focusing mostly on Aikido, but shortly later I started another new group. Paulo is a great normal person that happened to be in the right place at the right time. My bass players mother, from this group, lived in retirement community next door to Steven Tylers mother, they were good friends. If you are lucky enough to board the Rock Train Express, keep doing what ever it is your doing, hold on with both hands  till its over. I was fortunate enough to grow up in California at a crucial time in music with so many people around me were being successful, they were all just people.

Music for me is not and never will be a career. I play for me, and listen, and go to shows for me. I know I am not talented enough to make the grade, and do not desire that lifestyle. Many do, I know my limits. Now that being said I am passionate about music and when I am not at work the rest of my day is usually consumed by trying to play my guitars, listening to music and going to concerts. I've met several rock stars and some seem cool, and some when asking for an autograph act like they could give a sh!t, and seem like they really don't care that you bought their music, and came to their show, and afforded them the opportunity to do what they do. Usually at that point I stop listening.  Case in point Lucinda Williams. Asked her for her autograph before a show . It was me and my friend and no one else around and she refused.  It was not like it was Beatlemania where we were and 1000 people were hounding her. It was 2 people. So, as far as I am concerned Lucinda and go suck it. She lost a fan and of course she does not know or care.

When I stated Sepultura was brutal, I meant their music and not the actual guys in the band.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/24/2020 at 6:40 AM, cody78 said:

Me too! Draw The Line is very underrated I think. Not a bad song on it and their version of Milk Cow Blues was a great way to finish the album. 

Agreed -- "Bright Light Fright" sung by Joe Perry is great too.

For me, ALL of their albums from their self-titled debut through "Draw The Line" are all excellent, and so is "Live Bootleg". 

39 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Agreed -- "Bright Light Fright" sung by Joe Perry is great too.

For me, ALL of their albums from their self-titled debut through "Draw The Line" are all excellent, and so is "Live Bootleg". 

I like Joe Perry..........

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hope not for Steven?

A guitar player, no shirt, full length leather duster, strutting around, fully in command no matter how hosed up he was, bashing at tele/lespaul/strat, sometimes two at a time?  Oh yeah, full stiffy.  I'd probably have turned for Joe long time ago.  lolz

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Music for me is not and never will be a career. I play for me, and listen, and go to shows for me. I know I am not talented enough to make the grade, and do not desire that lifestyle. Many do, I know my limits. Now that being said I am passionate about music and when I am not at work the rest of my day is usually consumed by trying to play my guitars, listening to music and going to concerts. I've met several rock stars and some seem cool, and some when asking for an autograph act like they could give a sh!t, and seem like they really don't care that you bought their music, and came to their show, and afforded them the opportunity to do what they do. Usually at that point I stop listening.  Case in point Lucinda Williams. Asked her for her autograph before a show . It was me and my friend and no one else around and she refused.  It was not like it was Beatlemania where we were and 1000 people were hounding her. It was 2 people. So, as far as I am concerned Lucinda and go suck it. She lost a fan and of course she does not know or care.

When I stated Sepultura was brutal, I meant their music and not the actual guys in the band.

I played music at night so I could work at Motorola in the daytime. 🙂 

Bob my bass player said Steven Tyler was pretty cool when he was with his mom.

Edited by mihcmac

5 minutes ago, rct said:

A guitar player, no shirt, full length leather duster, strutting around, fully in command no matter how hosed up he was, bashing at tele/lespaul/strat, sometimes two at a time?  Oh yeah, full stiffy.  I'd probably have turned for Joe long time ago.  lolz

giphy.gif

• Haha 1