Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 Studio

MorrisrownSal

Hey guys,

I treated myself today. I traded in my back up Big Muddy mandolin and a Takamine P3NC and a little cash, and picked up a J-45 Studio from Russo's. This will be the gigger instead of the Takamine, which is a GREAt guitar (It is big and heavy, but otherwise a great sounding guitar). 

The J-45 Studio feels about half its weight, and it plays really well. I just like shorter scale better. 

I tried it out against the G-45 Standard, a used J-15, my Takamine, a Martin 13 series, and it just felt home. By the way the G-45 Standard sounded a little better unplugged - to me. zit was more mellow (the J-45 Studio is super bright and crisp). But as my  real need was for the gigs. The J-45 Studio won out with a better pickup (Baggs VTC instead of Sonitone) and the walnut bridge and fingerboard (the G-45 Standar has a richlite bridge and fingerboard). Believe it or not the rich lite felt better, but I couldn't bring myself to choose it.

Anyways, any others here buy one or try it out? 

• Like 1

I think the price they used before Applying credit for my trades was about $1250. Pretty solid.

It has one minor issue, which is not really a Gibson issue. The Baggs Element VTC is quiet on the high E. I bet I just have to adjust the ribbon. Also, I switched the strings to Martin Lifespan PBs and it really gave more warmth and girth to the tone. The more I play this the more I like it.

I just have to decide if I want to do the whole vanity/cosmetic swap the Grovers out thing. The tuners work so well, so it is hard to justify a swap. Just a looks thing.

I have a gig this coming Thursday night. I am eager to have some fun with it. 

wRiRpVdl.jpg

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, Salfromchatham said:

Hey guys,

I treated myself today. I traded in my back up Big Muddy mandolin and a Takamine P3NC and a little cash, and picked up a J-45 Studio from Russo's. This will be the gigger instead of the Takamine, which is a GREAt guitar (It is big and heavy, but otherwise a great sounding guitar). 

The J-45 Studio feels about half its weight, and it plays really well. I just like shorter scale better. 

I tried it out against the G-45 Standard, a used J-15, my Takamine, a Martin 13 series, and it just felt home. By the way the G-45 Standard sounded a little better unplugged - to me. zit was more mellow (the J-45 Studio is super bright and crisp). But as my  real need was for the gigs. The J-45 Studio won out with a better pickup (Baggs VTC instead of Sonitone) and the walnut bridge and fingerboard (the G-45 Standar has a richlite bridge and fingerboard). Believe it or not the rich lite felt better, but I couldn't bring myself to choose it.

Anyways, any others here buy one or try it out? 

I played one very briefly last week but I was more focused on the used J-15 which I was eventually able to swap even for a D-16RGT.  Tone-wise I didn't hear much of a difference between the Studio 45 and the 15, but the 15 won in the bass department....it had just a bit more oomph..  Besides I was swapping used for used and didn't want to fork out any $$$.   I did like the 45 though...it was responsive and lighter that the J-15, but I attribute that to the Trace Amulet stereo electronics in the 15.  There's a pre-amp inside and a spaghetti tangle of wires which I'm sure has an effect on weight and tone.  Since I don't play plugged in,  it'll eventually be removed and stuck in a drawer.

Why did you choose the J-45 Studio over the J-15?

14 minutes ago, NJ Tom said:

I played one very briefly last week but I was more focused on the used J-15 which I was eventually able to swap even for a D-16RGT.  Tone-wise I didn't hear much of a difference between the Studio 45 and the 15, but the 15 won in the bass department....it had just a bit more oomph..  Besides I was swapping used for used and didn't want to fork out any $$$.   I did like the 45 though...it was responsive and lighter that the J-15, but I attribute that to the Trace Amulet stereo electronics in the 15.  There's a pre-amp inside and a spaghetti tangle of wires which I'm sure has an effect on weight and tone.  Since I don't play plugged in,  it'll eventually be removed and stuck in a drawer.

Why did you choose the J-45 Studio over the J-15?

I'm assuming if he played both he liked it better.

Actually, wanting gig comfort gives a nod to thinner bodies. The Takamine NEX shape is a big footprint, but it’s thin. Like the Martin 0000s. Same rationale. So that was one reason. I was choosing the tool for the job.

but additionally, the used J15 at RUSSO’s had issues. It was not humidified for a while. The bridge lifted, and it had other related repairs. So, while it was repaired... I was not confident that there were not other longer term issues. I’d rather pay a little more for one with no issues.

I am not good with my iPad photo capabilities.... But here are two... The back is gorgeous in better light. And this dang thing is so growing on me. It's all I have picked up this entire week. I was supposed to gig with it tonight... but life came up, and my partner Mike got a last minute sub. I need to be around home.

Anyways, The sound is so, so, so dry and balanced. With 80/20s it's too thin and bright. With Lifespan PB lights. it's warmer and hits my sweet spot.  The only thing I might prefer on it is a harder wood fretboard and bridge... but then again maybe that would change the sound.

I just wanted to give it another plug, because frankly I am amazed with this Bozeman value.   $1300 OTD.  GTFO

3RwQHkml.jpg

X7Uz3Wcl.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Gibson players. I bought my J-45 Studio new last August/September and I absolutely love it! I was skeptical when I first heard of these new models so I went to GC to see if they had any to try out. They only had one and it just happened to be on sale so I couldn't resist the urge to buy it after playing it. I noticed that the J-45 Studio walnut is no longer on Gibson's website and they now have a J-45 Studio Rosewood model. Just curious if anyone knows if Gibson has discontinued the walnut for the rosewood model. I haven't found anything in my research and I noticed that  places like Sweetwater still have the walnut models listed so I am wondering if these are the remaining models left over if indeed they have discontinued the walnut version.

I'd be surprised. Walnut is a "treehugger" friendly wood and plentiful, whereas Rosewood has the opposite quirks.

And, as someone who owns a Rosewood J-45 and a Walnut J-15, I'd also say neither is "better" at any given thing. They are simply different.

• Like 2

There are a number of wood species that fall into the category of restricted and endangered woods. The RED list breaks down such wood species by classifying them as vulnerable, endangered or critically endangered. Many, if not most (in terms of volume) of the traditionally prized hardwoods for acoustic guitar building are on this list. Guitar manufacturers have been seeking out more sustainable wood choices for many years now. I am assuming Murph's comments had to do with walnut being considered to be a more sustainable choice, although there are multiple walnut species on the list as well.

I've played a few walnut guitars over the years and liked them. I personally consider walnut to be one of the most attractive hardwoods to be found, if not the most attractive. With that in mind I sure wouldn't mind having a guitar made of walnut, but I already have more than enough guitars as it is so that won't be happening for me. If I am still around in another 10, 15 or 20 years from now it will be very interesting to see what all species of woods will be totally off-limits to guitar builders by then and what builders will be using instead.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, Salfromchatham said:

I am not good with my iPad photo capabilities....

Good enough that we can tell your guitar vanity got the better of you, lol. Enjoy!

By the way Sal, I can at least understand the temptation. Years ago I found a Taylor 510 that kind of knocked my socks off at a price that was too good to pass up (this coming from someone that never considered myself to be a Taylor fan). I took this one down off of the wall because of the price tag and my whole "judge each and every guitar on it's own" approach. It was pretty much a practice what I  preach moment. Anyway, the Taylor is still configured just as it left the factory, including  (you likely guessed it) — the Grover tuners. 

I'll admit that the Grovers are a bit of a letdown (even the abalone rosette has even grown on me — a little), but otherwise I really like the way the guitar looks, plays, and sounds. If I'm being honest, I've thought more than once about switching the Grovers out for something else, but just as with the abalone rosette, I've come to accept them to be just as much of the guitars personality and history as the unbelievably high-grade Engelmann spruce and Honduras mahogany that Taylor had access to back in 1997 for their regular production guitars.

All that said, I do prefer the look of your J-45 Studio "post-surgery". If the Taylor had more of a "Gibson-vibe" to it instead of the Taylor thing going on I likely would have gone the same route. Since the Taylor is the only one of my guitars that I will leave hanging up on the wall in our living room, it has become my "gigging guitar" of sorts. My comfort demands  are such that it: must be comfortable to play to an audience of none while sitting on the couch.

taylor510.jpg.27b54e35618bc6f6073be53f87875db4.jpg

Edited by Guth
added more content

21 hours ago, jvi said:

"tree hugger wood?"  what ? is there tree hater wood ?

I just mean Gibson doesn't have to listen to a bunch of whining if they use walnut.

Trees are for building stuff, otherwise they just turn into termite food. Why is it you never see a tree hugger mad at a termite ?

:-k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I just mean Gibson doesn't have to listen to a bunch of whining if they use walnut.

Trees are for building stuff, otherwise they just turn into termite food. Why is it you never see a tree hugger mad at a termite ?

:-k

'cause they know that wood (pun intended)  get PETA after them.   Birds of a Feather !