Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

Roxx

I follow several different forums about guitars and amps. In doing so there seems to be a hot topic about strings. Type, brands, gauge diameters. and the frequency of change.  I must say that being of an experimental nature, I have run the gauntlet for a long time. From many years back, I tried it all. I always seemed to come back t the Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. I have used a good many D Addarrio supers as well. They always did a fine job.  I have been using Gibson electrics lately and am completely happy with them. I have many sets of new strings on hand but never end up changing them. I get strings stretched and broken in and keep them on for extended periods of time. The strings always stay in tune so much better the older they become. Eventually they will wear flat spots from fret wear, but not too much these days as they are made from much harder material than the frets. I can play every day for a year and not need a change. The tonal quality remains the same. I don't mean to discourage the sales of guitar strings.... but I shall keep buying them to store as not to be a hardship on Ernie. LOL

EB Regular Slinky most of the time. 

D'Addarios sound just as good but I dont much like the packaging.

I used Elixir Polywebs a lot, but now am just using up the last few sets. They last ok but they dont sound quite as good. Also I dont like the way the strings shed the coating at the picking area. I wont buy them anymore probably.

Favourites :  EB Paradigm. They sound great and they are tough. They are expensive though.

I tried the elixir coated strings a while ago but couldn't get on with them. It helps that I am not especially an oily or sweaty individual so my strings tend not to corrode as quickly as perhaps other people's do. I now exclusively use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys on all my electrics, both Gibson and Fender.

I use the EB regular slinky and switch the G string to a d'addarios  NW017 which is a nickle wound string, it makes that string sound great, I buy them separately from strings by mail. I have always had problems with G string sounding flat but changing to these made my difference!