Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Got my j-50 back!


Gibson Artist
 Share

Recommended Posts

Two years ago i sold my 1974 Gibson j-50, and after a tough breakup and losing my shirt.  i traded to get it back.  Could have gotten any other but i wanted this particular one back it had the mojo, it had the magic and though i will wait 3 days to play it (airing it out due to Corona) i couldn't be happier to have it back in my arsenal.  It's beat up, it's road worn, but oh the dry/warm tones that come out of this are a strummers paradise. Check my pictures.

 

J-50.jpg

J-50 BACK 2.jpg

J-50 NECK.jpg

headstock.jpg

j-50 up.jpg

 

Edited by Gibson Artist
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gibson Artist said:

i wanted this particular one back it had the mojo, it had the magic

It had your mojo - the mojo you've already invested into it. Glad to hear of the upcoming reunion. After a couple of days, just give it a string change and a polishing to get reacquainted, and all will be good again. Even though they'll be too new strings, that first play will most likely be a good recording- one worth sharing here, if so inclined. Congrats.

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats! Years ago I reacquired a sold off favorite after a 5 year absence. Good thing is I've never had an urge to get rid of it again. I've sold off quite a few since but haven't had an urge to get them back.

I'm afraid I would have to loose those tuners and get some cream buttons 😉

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Congrats! Years ago I reacquired a sold off favorite after a 5 year absence. Good thing is I've never had an urge to get rid of it again. I've sold off quite a few since but haven't had an urge to get them back.

I'm afraid I would have to loose those tuners and get some cream buttons 😉

 

I had a relationship end and got the short end of the stick financially, had to sell something fast. But, its great when you bring back an old friend isnt it?  Hope you're enjoying the one you got back too, whatever it was.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful tale ^

I had one of these 40 years ago. My first Gibson, , , and I still hold a weak spot for those horn bindings. 

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

 Beat up? Yours looks a hell of a lot better than mine! 😂 

Koool looker there - would make me strum Love The One You're With on the spot. . 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it was my first vintage and if i can help it, ill never sell it.  I traded guitars all the time, owned over 55, but for some reason, this one git i got an emotional attachment to it. But, when i broke up with my ex and went into financial ruin,  i had to sell a bunch of things off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gibson Artist said:

Well, it was my first vintage and if i can help it, ill never sell it.  I traded guitars all the time, owned over 55, but for some reason, this one git i got an emotional attachment to it. But, when i broke up with my ex and went into financial ruin,  i had to sell a bunch of things off.

 Glad to know you got the guitar back.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, Gibson Artist said:

Well, it was my first vintage and if i can help it, ill never sell it.  I traded guitars all the time, owned over 55, but for some reason, this one git i got an emotional attachment to it. But, when i broke up with my ex and went into financial ruin,  i had to sell a bunch of things off.

Happens to us all. In the early 80s I had to sell a beautiful Gretsch Streamliner to pay my rent. Another one I regret. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...