Gibson Brands Forums

Garden goodies

Mr. Gibson

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

I have a few herbs...only legal ones. 

It's blackberry time right now too.

I'd love some home-grown potatoes.  Nothing better.

Legal ones are no fun but tasty. They are legal in certain places.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

We grow figs.  They're just starting to come in.  One year I picked about 10,000.  My wife sold her first couple pounds of the year today at the farmer's market.  She usually sells about 10 to 15 pounds a week when they're really coming in.  We'll probably harvest 400 to 500 pounds this year.  If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

117947174_10219979315406459_762991504875

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

I love fresh figs.  I'm amazed you can grow them successfully.  Does it take a lot of work?

They are expensive over here in UK and very often over-ripe and dry inside.

They are a ton of work.  Sixteen producing trees.  Fertilize 4 times a year, water every other day from now until frost, pick every day, searching every branch of every tree, every day.  I get pretty sick of it by the end of the season.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, badbluesplayer said:

We grow figs.  They're just starting to come in.  One year I picked about 10,000.  My wife sold her first couple pounds of the year today at the farmer's market.  She usually sells about 10 to 15 pounds a week when they're really coming in.  We'll probably harvest 400 to 500 pounds this year.  If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

What does a pound of figs sell for?  When they're fresh like that can you eat them - or do you have to do something to them?

On August 24, 2020 at 9:09 AM, badbluesplayer said:

They are a ton of work.  Sixteen producing trees.  Fertilize 4 times a year, water every other day from now until frost, pick every day, searching every branch of every tree, every day.  I get pretty sick of it by the end of the season.

About like my rasberry forest,fun in the beginning,after while not so fun.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, uncle fester said:

What does a pound of figs sell for?  When they're fresh like that can you eat them - or do you have to do something to them?

We've sold them for $8 per pound for a number of years.  They go for 10 at the grocery store.  I'm trying to get the wife to go to $10.00.

You can eat them fresh, just whole or turn them inside out or cut them in half and eat them off the skin.  You can put them in anything.  Good with cheese.  My wife makes lots of stuff.  She makes a fig "base" that's used for lots of things.  She mashes them up, cooks them for like 1/2 hour, and uses that for all kinds of stuff, like jam, chutney, cakes, danishes, biscotti.  Chefs use them with fancy dishes.  Some guy with a cooking school buys them, some restaurants buy them.  We sell some through a local fru-fru farmer's market store and my wife sells most of them at a local farmer's market, along with her baked goods.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Threw up in my mouth a little -  quick read of the post, I thought it said   "I   pickLed  5 lbs of figs"  

My orchids are finally waking up and starting to bloom.  They must prefer the 'cooler' weather.   I'm trying to keep my poinsettia from last Christmas in 100% dark at night so it blooms again. My best efforts so far are to get a faint pinkish blush in January.  Then, only by keeping on the side of the house. Where the inevitable freeze kills them dead.