Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Garden goodies


Mr. Gibson
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

I have a few herbs...only legal ones. 

It's blackberry time right now too.

I'd love some home-grown potatoes.  Nothing better.

Legal ones are no fun but tasty. They are legal in certain places.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We grow figs.  They're just starting to come in.  One year I picked about 10,000.  My wife sold her first couple pounds of the year today at the farmer's market.  She usually sells about 10 to 15 pounds a week when they're really coming in.  We'll probably harvest 400 to 500 pounds this year.  If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

117947174_10219979315406459_762991504875

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

I love fresh figs.  I'm amazed you can grow them successfully.  Does it take a lot of work?

They are expensive over here in UK and very often over-ripe and dry inside.

They are a ton of work.  Sixteen producing trees.  Fertilize 4 times a year, water every other day from now until frost, pick every day, searching every branch of every tree, every day.  I get pretty sick of it by the end of the season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, badbluesplayer said:

We grow figs.  They're just starting to come in.  One year I picked about 10,000.  My wife sold her first couple pounds of the year today at the farmer's market.  She usually sells about 10 to 15 pounds a week when they're really coming in.  We'll probably harvest 400 to 500 pounds this year.  If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

What does a pound of figs sell for?  When they're fresh like that can you eat them - or do you have to do something to them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On August 24, 2020 at 9:09 AM, badbluesplayer said:

They are a ton of work.  Sixteen producing trees.  Fertilize 4 times a year, water every other day from now until frost, pick every day, searching every branch of every tree, every day.  I get pretty sick of it by the end of the season.

About like my rasberry forest,fun in the beginning,after while not so fun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, uncle fester said:

What does a pound of figs sell for?  When they're fresh like that can you eat them - or do you have to do something to them?

We've sold them for $8 per pound for a number of years.  They go for 10 at the grocery store.  I'm trying to get the wife to go to $10.00.

You can eat them fresh, just whole or turn them inside out or cut them in half and eat them off the skin.  You can put them in anything.  Good with cheese.  My wife makes lots of stuff.  She makes a fig "base" that's used for lots of things.  She mashes them up, cooks them for like 1/2 hour, and uses that for all kinds of stuff, like jam, chutney, cakes, danishes, biscotti.  Chefs use them with fancy dishes.  Some guy with a cooking school buys them, some restaurants buy them.  We sell some through a local fru-fru farmer's market store and my wife sells most of them at a local farmer's market, along with her baked goods.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...