Gibson Brands Forums

"Most disappointing guitar" thread over on AGF

olie

I was mildly surprised to observe that the most mentioned brand  re. disappointment was Martin.

For all the grief Gibson gets over there it was nice to see that maybe Martin's reputation is somewhat  hyperinflated.

I'm not trying to trash the brand but  balance out the rhetoric.

Because of the hype historically surrounding Martin, I imagine lots of folks pick them up & expect to hear the sound of angels singing.  They do make some great guitars, but they also make a lot of rather pedestrian sounding instruments, just like all the other manufacturers.

I could give a flying fig about what others think of my guitars.  Just flash them to peace sign and advise them to stop drinking too deeply of the Tone Wood Kool Aid.  It ain't about the lumber you are holding in your hands  It is about making music.  And the day that I do not have as much of a blast and get as much enjoyment from playing my Harmony Stella as I do one of my Gibsons is the day I will hang it up.  Because I will have forgotten what it is all about.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I could give a flying fig about what others think of my guitars.  

Same. I will state I have spent more time with two of my three Martins lately, but I like to rotate guitars and I try very hard to not rave about the current squeeze. It's all about which one strikes me at the moment. Next week/month I might shudder at anything Nazareth and choose something else for a while.

And I see no gain in bashing someone's else's weapon of choice.

• Like 2

I would guess part of the AGF negativity comes from high expectations based on the name - not factoring in the fact you are paying $500 and not $5,000 and it's made in Mexico, not Nazareth.  And, how often a person uses the word 'crap' in his product reviews is probably a function of how long he's been cooped up with no one to talk to except people on Social Media!        I'm appreciative of Gibson's approach of maintaining their brand 'quality' and letting Epiphones be their entry level/student/starter guitars.    But, that's all marketing - brand definition, etc.  Obviously -  the lumber you hold in your hands...   Love the one you're with?   Ginger VS Mary Ann ?

Edited by fortyearspickn

On 11/27/2020 at 12:39 AM, zombywoof said:

I could give a flying fig about what others think of my guitars.  Just flash them to peace sign and advise them to stop drinking too deeply of the Tone Wood Kool Aid.  It ain't about the lumber you are holding in your hands  It is about making music.  And the day that I do not have as much of a blast and get as much enjoyment from playing my Harmony Stella as I do one of my Gibsons is the day I will hang it up.  Because I will have forgotten what it is all about.

^ This, times 100.

Like most of you, I've played good Martins, great Martins and Martins that, in the words of Steve Earle, "still thinks it's a tree." Same with Gibsons. The ones I have owned of both brands were great guitars, for me. They inspired me.

I'd read good reviews on the Farida OT-22 before I bought mine in the summer of 2019. I figured it would be a good, dependable guitar to take overseas and if something happened to it, I was out a $423 investment -- not a huge amount of money as guitars go. I wasn't prepared for how much I would like the guitar, though, and how it fits my style and has inspired me.

So, yeah, just play the darned thing. As long as the guitar is set up properly and physically stable, the music will figure itself out.

All my six CFM's are POS. I'm selling 'em tomorrow. D-35 not in the pic. 

NzOe2Pv.jpg

Just look at that total waste of good wood on those things. What were they thinking?

That is funny, Martin is the most disappointing brand on the AGF and probably also here too. Wonder what the UMGF says about them. No self respecting musician plays those trashy over blingy guitars. 

All this thread was started for, was to start arguments. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So why post it then? 

I get doses of Martin bashing in lots of post, but a whole thread about them being "The most disappointing guitar" according to another forum is not wanting to start arguments.

Guess I'm just naïve.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The reason why I brought up this AGF topic was as a reaction to the many more times Gibson gets kicked for "QC" or lack thereof, and that people seem to place Martin on another level.

In spite of that it turns out (on this thread ,at least) that Martin received many more negative reviews than virtually any other maker.

I found this curious considering the accolades Martin usually receives and the opposite opinions that come Gibson's way.

I wasn't trying to talk smack, just even out the playing field a bit re. public perceptions.

Both manufacturers make extremely well made production model guitars. Neither is without its flaws, and to fancy it up I'm gonna use a French word for whatever draws you to your love of a specific maker, Je ne sasi quoi,  and neither is without its fan boys. 

Taylor does too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

I'd read good reviews on the Farida OT-22 before I bought mine in the summer of 2019. I figured it would be a good, dependable guitar to take overseas and if something happened to it, I was out a $423 investment -- not a huge amount of money as guitars go. I wasn't prepared for how much I would like the guitar, though, and how it fits my style and has inspired me.

Toby Walker recently posted a video review of the Farida OT-22.  He certainly gave it a thumbs up.  

On 11/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, zombywoof said:

Wow -- that is a lot.  I think  a flying fig would be worth a lot!

5 minutes ago, tpbiii said:

Oh my -- so half my guitars are trash.

IPcYejW.jpeg

hOCFGmf.jpg

How stupid of me not to be disappointed with their high quality construction standards, ethereal tone, and incredible historic impact.

I guess I'll have to play these.

4UUFQSG.jpeg 

Or worse these.

EbQ25ao.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

I'll take those disappointing guitars off your hands any day of the week, no problem.

If you have all of those right now in your collection, I'm gonna declare right behind Vince Gill, you win.

I sincerely don’t think  that I visit The AGF more than once or twice a year.  Maybe not even that.  I’m likely mistaken, but I thought The AGF was originally the Taylor forum.  Taylors were the anointed brand for many years on that forum..  Don’t really know if it still is.  Personally, I like Martins.   Always have.  I just happen to like Gibsons more.  I have nothing against Taylor’s.  They are very nice guitars and high quality.  They’re just not “me.”........You play what you like and can afford.  Like with many others in here, guitars are a very personal thing and for me to buy and keep a guitar I have to feel it’s an extension of who I am.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't see one, so maybe not. Why does everyone have to like em?

Lighten up, François.

It is possible to read the forum for information and not for reason to be defensive. This case is one where a person interested in guitar tone of any maker asks one other person who says he is a collector of sounds why no J200 guitars.