Gibson Brands Forums

Steve Vai Talks about Hand Health

Rabs

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Good advice. 

It does get scary when your hands dont work properly anymore.

Tell me about it.  I had what's called a "Transient  Ischemic Attack"( mini stroke if you will) back in '14 and I'm STILL trying to work through dexterity and endurance issues.   I found a device that's a small elastic bag filled with a kind of imitation sand that is originally intended for stress for sale at the counter of a BINSON'S  medical supply store for $4.99 that helps.  I've seen similar things at music stores intended for string players(guitar, violin etc.)  to build up finger strength for much bigger bucks.  It's helped somewhat.  

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Tell me about it.  I had what's called a "Transient  Ischemic Attack"( mini stroke if you will) back in '14 and I'm STILL trying to work through dexterity and endurance issues.   I found a device that's a small elastic bag filled with a kind of imitation sand that is originally intended for stress for sale at the counter of a BINSON'S  medical supply store for $4.99 that helps.  I've seen similar things at music stores intended for string players(guitar, violin etc.)  to build up finger strength for much bigger bucks.  It's helped somewhat.  

Whitefang

A work friend of mine used something similar. His problem (and solution) was misdiagnosed though. Turns out he had a muscle wasting illness. 

I know of TIAs (didn't know that's what it stood for though!). 7 years is quite a while. Good to know you're still determined to overcome it though. 👍

Thumb osteoarthritis (both of em) is my cross. When its painful I remind my self that it could be worse and that I can still play. On the whole, I'm lucky.

• Like 1

In the early 2000's I started having arthritis in my hands with some days worse than others. I would put Vicks on my hands then insert them into rubber gloves and sleep with them. Since then I have tried many different things for relief including DMSO and joint supplements. I have also found that the more sugar I consume the worse it gets.

Now I do an exercise what I call my Kung Fu Fist. First opening and splaying my hand and fingers as far as I can, then curling my fingers into a very tight Fist and keep applying pressure for a few minutes, sometimes hearing or feeling my joints pop, like Bruce Lee used to do, Rock Fist. If I do this every day as I wake up, I'm usually good for the whole day, or any time I feel my fingers getting stuck in a nonfunctional position.

I do have Carpal Tunnel as well which limits how far my wrists can be bent. Some of this is from martial arts practice including having my thumbs bent back to my forearms.

Oh yea, loved Knappsack...

Edited by mihcmac

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

A work friend of mine used something similar. His problem (and solution) was misdiagnosed though. Turns out he had a muscle wasting illness. 

I know of TIAs (didn't know that's what it stood for though!). 7 years is quite a while. Good to know you're still determined to overcome it though. 👍

Thumb osteoarthritis (both of em) is my cross. When its painful I remind my self that it could be worse and that I can still play. On the whole, I'm lucky.

My wife was a bit amused about it because TIA is Spanish for "Aunt".   Said that for men maybe they should call it TRANSIENT ISCHEMIC  ONSLAUGHT ("TIO", Spanish for uncle  [wink] )

I'm hopeful your friend's muscle wasting illness isn't ALS.   [crying]

And I hope in your case you have better good days than bad,

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

I've got what is called  "Intentional Tremors".   Hand start shaking as if attempts t to do something finite or precise.  Perfectly fine holding a thread between thumb and forefinger in one hand, and a needle in the other - but the closer I bring the thread to the needle's eye  - the more each of my hands shake.  Mother had it. Couldn't hardly hold a cup of tea, but it really started shaking the closer she brought it to her mouth.    I started seeing symptoms when I was around 50, has gotten gradually worse.  CBD seems to help a little. Fretting is OK, but forget Travis picking !   I'm just really grateful I can play.   I never could play well, but at least better than sewing !  

He's wearing well.  Good advice.  Shoulder cuff and rotation problems are notoriously painful and hard to successfully deal with medically.

I have Dupuytrens contracture in my left hand, a disease or condition where the skin hardens and the tendons get nodes forming on them and they contract, making it impossible to straighten the finger(s) and eventually curling it into the palm if left untreated.   3rd finger in my case, the most commonly affected one.  Partly inherited but not helped by trying to play all of Ted Greene's 'Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing' too much and too correctly for many years (and where did that get me?[angry]). 

Though still in its early stages it has adversely affected my chording skills and speed, and last year I was getting very despondent....unitl I started fighting back.  I now wear a German-made night splint (a 'Fixxglove') on my left hand when I sleep, and take 200mg magnesium citrate supplement every morning.   They're as big as horse pills but it  helps to inhibit the formation of calcium-based nodes.  I can't reverse the damage already done but I can minimise it and - I hope - stop it getting any worse until I am too old to play anyway.  And these days I'm practicing melodies and music much more than technique and scales etc.

You know....I'm very lucky, at least I can still play.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

My hands are pretty screwed up...  Years of playing computer games, playing guitar, making guitars and then a job at a wood shop... 

I havent been to a doctor about it or anything as I am pretty sure its general wear and tear, RSI on my wrists and arthritis in my fingers. I sometimes go in to the workshop for a coffee and speak to the guy who replaced me.. He has been there over two years now and is having similar problems. He HAS been to the doctor about it and they did scans and blood tests and stuff and they told him that hes just wearing the joint out with excessive lifting and grabbing. They also said he has the first signs of scoliosis from heavy lifting (which is a curvature of the spine).

So yah..  I dont think theres much I can do but just limit my physical activity... 

My folk duo partner of many years had a mini-stroke and a heart attack in early August.  Both were said to be on the mild side.  He’s home and goes for walks and in-general is feeling real good. But, he can’t move his fingers very well and he’s very afraid of tripping on something.  He says the doctors tell him the full recovery from the stroke could take several months, at least.  …..Glad you recovered from yours.  I’m starting to realize just what my dad meant when he’d say “It’s hell getting old.”

Sometimes if I sleep with my fingers in an odd position they get stuck and I can't straighten them, if I try to uncurl them with my other hand its really painful. So I have found that if I curl them in to a tight fist for a few moments then uncurl while tightly flexing they will unlock without too much pain  all while tightly flexing releasing till fully splayed.  Still flexing I slowly curl them into a fist again and repeat. This is my morning exercise, sometimes before I even open my eyes.. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...