Gibson Brands Forums

A Life Affirming Purchase

SteveFord

After the past year full of uncertainty and dread, I think it's time to start looking ahead to better days.

To celebrate, I decided to treat myself to something halfway decent (because nobody else will).

While I wait, think I'll get some sun and read a cheery book about infectious diseases past, present and future.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That's a thought but nope.  I'm too addicted to mountains of junk.

Forget sitting out in the sun, it's freezing out there.  What the hell happened to Spring?  

You a better have finally got the  J-40, either that or a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've just treated myself to a new driveway. The installers are finishing it off on Tuesday. Its the culmination of 3 years of digging root stumps out of the ground.

Ok, a driveway isn't very sexy, but my last guitar purchase was a bit of a disaster. Less said the better. 

I got a nice guitar strap delivered this week. That's the best I have to offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You a better have finally got the  J-40, either that or a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. 

Well...

I am thinking about a J40 athough they shot out of my price range some time back.  Might make for a good retirement present, though.

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

I'm thinking of buying a Diet Pepsi. 

I like Diet Pepsi. Tonight is gonna be burgers on the grill and green bean casserole for the NCAA BB games. I plan on having everything ready by the start of the second game. Cheese and crackers, two flavors of Sun Chips  and  Snyder's hard sourdough pretzels for snacks for the first game. I got an English Chocolate Stout, and a Devils Backbone Vienna Lager for BBQ time. Cause if you don't have a drink when BBQ-ing all you are doing is cooking over fire.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

After the past year full of uncertainty and dread, I think it's time to start looking ahead to better days.

To celebrate, I decided to treat myself to something halfway decent (because nobody else will).

It couldn't be another iconic guitar could it?

Have you got a Fender bass?   I still have an old Squier Jazz bass.

An ES-175....L4....J200, Dove or a Bird?

Moooore amps!!!!!

No although I did spend some time drooling over the 330s but I decided to go with something a little different.

I'd been looking at ES-Les Pauls but decided that they would probably feel too small and I understand they're balsa wood light and like the looks of the ES-175 but think they're really more for the jazz crowd and like the look of the Byrdlands but they're too expensive when I happened to stumble across the ES-137 Custom.

This is a 2005 case queen, ebony fret board, cat eye fret markers which I've never had and I've always wanted a Gibson with the split diamond headstock inlay but never had one.  This looks pretty interesting...

Then I spied the coveted Tone Suck Control and well, there goes my self control out the window.

Tone?  We don't need no steenkin' tone!!!

With any luck, it'll arrive mid to late next week and I'll take some better photos.  It's supposedly a tobacco sunburst so we'll see.  Looks kind of butterscotch in these photos.

OjscRRy.jpguQD57mL.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

If you hear a Gibson humbucker sound on one of the later Patti Smith albums it's probably one of these.

Lenny opened up the case and went "BONNNNGGGGGG!!!" and when I started laughing he did it again.

Well played. I played a few of those in GC ages ago when they made them. I had a real 1957 ES-225TD with P-90's. It had a production number of U3095 6. It would not stay in tune and fed back like an Aerosmith concert circa 1975.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

ALL purchases are life-affirming, when you think about it. 

Except for caskets, ashes urns, funeral plots, and tombstones. 

But everything else surely is. 

😬

Advert-for-Ingall-Parsons-and-Clive-1954

You are on a death trip lately. You okay?