Gibson Brands Forums

Genesis

I just saw that Genesis (Phil, Mike, Tony) along with Daryl and Nic Collins (I guess Phil's kid) are going to give it a go again, and it is called The Last Domino Tour. I only saw them once on the Mama Tour of the self titled album Genesis with the shapes on it. They were pretty washed up by then and the Prog days were long behind.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

It's funny that I'm a huge prog fan and I also really like Peter Gabriel's solo work and Steve Hackett is an amazing guitarist but I just can't get into Genesis for some reason. Tried again recently after reading Gabriel's autobiography but same thing.

Have you heard the album Hackett did with Chris Squire called 'Squackett'? It's actually really good!

22 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

It's funny that I'm a huge prog fan and I also really like Peter Gabriel's solo work and Steve Hackett is an amazing guitarist but I just can't get into Genesis for some reason. Tried again recently after reading Gabriel's autobiography but same thing.

Have you heard the album Hackett did with Chris Squire called 'Squackett'? It's actually really good!

I can listen to Genesis with Peter, but once Phil was on the mic I could only take them up to Wind And Wuthering, but then it got bad fast after Steve left. I love Hackett's first few solo albums (Voyage Of The Acolyte being the best of his first  four classic ones up to Defector). Peters are really good too up to the Melting Face one. The one with Shock The Monkey was not to bad. Phil just made a bunch of sappy love songs on his solo albums. In The Air Tonight is a cool song. Mike + Mechanics was silly and his first solo album I may have listened to once it was just that good. I think it was called Small Creeps Day.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is killer and so is Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme.

exactly. 

I was  into Trick of The Tale (First one after PG left) and to listen to that one occasionally 

Gonna get flamed big time here I know, but I actually liked them better after Gabriel left.  Couldn't much stomach PG's solo work either.  

But it's mostly short lived since they haven't(to me) done much I cared for after "Wind And  Wuthering" except for an occasional tune here and there. 

Collins solo I could never take. [-X

Whitefang

On 5/6/2021 at 12:31 PM, Whitefang said:

Gonna get flamed big time here I know, but I actually liked them better after Gabriel left.  Couldn't much stomach PG's solo work either ...

I agree with you ... "The Lamb Lies Down ..." was the best with Peter, but there are still a couple of tracks even on that one that  when removed make the flow of the album much better.   Phil Collins' "pre-Duke" era was great: Trick of the Tale / Wind and Wuthering / And Then There Were Three / Seconds Out (live) ... all great.  

220px-Genesis_-_And_Then_There_Were_Thre

"Selling England By the Pound" and "Lamb Lies Down" for me.......both ridiculous albums but so good somehow....everyone is playing their asses off..and the sound of Collins drums is what a kit should sound like IMO...he's often berated for his politics and solo pop success, but anyone who can play drums like that is ok in my book....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhitePunkOnDope said:

"Selling England By the Pound" and "Lamb Lies Down" for me.......both ridiculous albums but so good somehow....everyone is playing their asses off..and the sound of Collins drums is what a kit should sound like IMO...he's often berated for his politics and solo pop success, but anyone who can play drums like that is ok in my book....

Phil is a drummer and a writer of sappy love tunes. He is a damn fine drummer, but I hate his vocals and once Genesis became a 3 peice they left prog far behind. They had the occasional proggy thing on an album to keep old fans buying their drivel, but it is pop with a ting of prog.

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Not much help on this one.. I was never a fan of their music... As for Collins I can smell it burning or whatever that was, I couldn’t change stations fast enough.....

"I Can Smell It Burning" ???  It sounds like you had something burning when you heard that one .  LOL

flatten;crop;jpeg_quality=70

Edited by 01GT eibach

5 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

"I Can Smell It Burning" ???  It sounds like you had something burning when you heard that one .  LOL

flatten;crop;jpeg_quality=70

LOL! I probably did! I was a big Miami Vice fan.... Until I heard that song! Aaaarrrgghhh!!!