Gibson Brands Forums

The Latest Artist Signature SJ-200 - Orianthi

BoSoxBiker

I've been curious to see if JCV, our resident video finder and (not-so-) evil enabler of Gibson Acoustics, posts this one or not. I don't normally do this, but being an SJ-200 fan and a fan of red-ish guitars.....  

As much as I dig my cherry-burst Hummingbird and Dove, I can't quite get there on solid reds. BUT, that black binding looks pretty nifty with this. Sounds different. At least in his hands. I've got Gibson's marketing video pasted below this one, which is worth it just for the Mustang.

6 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I would love to take a toke of whatever Gibson's marketing team is inhaling.  

I guess it is all about who they are shooting for as a target audience.  

yea...  goes right over my head too..  don't get it....  

Targeted Audience  ! ?     If you look at some of the tv ads for LEVIS,  where Gibson's CEO was CEO until recently - you'll get a good idea of what their marketing 'approach' is.   

Yeah - I know, selling $40 jeans is different than selling $4000 guitars, and LEVIS is in San Fransisco and Gibson is in Nashville.   BUT ...  

They had an ad running in October with a strange potpourri of characters/actors - had noting to do with Levis - everything to do with Registering To Vote. 

Their most recent ad ...   shows a bunch of  extra-cool hipsters posing and prancing in their Levi's ware.   The theme though is what offers insight:    "Buy LEVIs because they wear longer, and you will be saving the planet !!    Yep.  If you go through life only requiring the people living in Mexico to  produce 20 pairs of jeans for you instead of 40 -  the planet will smile upon you.    The ad ignores the fact that Wranglers last twice as long as Levis, the people in Mexico need the work,  and Mother Earth is more worried about pollution from China and India than the  damage producing jeans causes.      

So -  I hope JC sticks to what he does best, which I assume is marketing,  and leaves the actual production of guitars alone.   But, I wouldn't be surprised if Bozeman starts producing quasi/crazy guitars made out of recycled water bottles.    I still drink my water out of a garden hose.   Having said that -  I have no problem with red or blue STAINED guitars where you can still clearly see the wood grain coming through.   I'm guessing, like ceramic floor tile produced to look like real wood,  someone in Nashville  is trying to figure out how to make plastic water bottles look just like Adi Spruce.     If I needed another SJ200 -  I'd be all over this one though.  

Maybe that's what it is for me. Stained verses solid color. I do like this one better than the red one they had a few years ago. I think it was a store-ordered custom.

So, what's the neck difference do in all of this? I think they said it was a neck from an es-345. Perhaps to make it play and feel more like an electric. 

I didn't watch the whole demo but my understanding is that the unique sig element of this apart from cosmetics is that it has a neck modeled after a 335 rather than your standard acoustic neck, supposedly making it a little faster? it's a cool idea since as noted in that other j200 thread they are really suited to rock/strummer environments. I think these are limited enough quantities that it will scratch the itch for some of those rock and roller types that want a fast acoustic, but will probably dip into the depths of obscurity for wider gibson folks

18 minutes ago, slimt said:

My spelling sucks.  But maybe those legs will sell her guitars quicker.   🙂

On the site all the right handed ones are out of stock and left handed ones have a button that says "how to order" but when you click on it you go to a screen with a left handed gold top LP and it say's this:

Looking for a Lefty?

Due to the overwhelming interest we are working on getting your favorite left-handed models in stock for your convenience. Check back here for updates!

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

39 minutes ago, PrairieSchooner said:

Isn't it the Lady A guy who always plays the weird colored Gibsons?  That's the market...

Orianthi aint no guy if that's what you are trying to say...   I believe her entrance to the "big top" was playing for MJ. 

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Orianthi aint no guy if that's what you are trying to say...   I believe her entrance to the "big top" was playing for MJ. 

I think he means the guy guitarist for Lady Antebellum is the market cause he plays weird colored Gibby's.  Took me a second to figure it out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think he means the guy guitarist for Lady Antebellum is the market cause he plays weird colored Gibby's.  Took me a second to figure it out.

yea apparently that went right over my head...

but now I get what Lady A means..

Edited by kidblast

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Their most recent ad ...   shows a bunch of  extra-cool hipsters posing and prancing in their Levi's ware.   The theme though is what offers insight:    "Buy LEVIs because they wear longer, and you will be saving the planet !!    Yep.  If you go through life only requiring the people living in Mexico to  produce 20 pairs of jeans for you instead of 40 -  the planet will smile upon you.    The ad ignores the fact that Wranglers last twice as long as Levis, the people in Mexico need the work,  and Mother Earth is more worried about pollution from China and India than the  damage producing jeans causes.

When you were a kid, the jeans you wore were probably made from "raw" denim, the dark, stiff, shrink-to-fit variety that had been sold for a century, and could be worn just about as long.

Since the seventies, though, most jeans sold are sanforized (preshrunk), and manually and chemically distressed and softened to take on the characteristics of raw denim jeans that had been worn for years. 

The process  for aging and softening that denim has a huge environmental impact: jeans industry experts estimate that 18 gallons of water are polluted by five ounces of heavy metals (like lead, mercury, cadmium, and chromium) per PAIR.  This has resulted in rampant river pollution in jeans producing regions of China and India.

In the USA, we buy an average of four pairs of jeans per person per year. Five to six billion pair are manufactured and sold worldwide every year. Levi's latest campaign argues their jeans are well made so will last longer (so you'll need to buy fewer pairs of the polluting garment), but also the efforts Levi's has made to reduce pollution in their manufacturing processes, like using more sustainable hemp-cotton blends, and much less water and fewer chemicals to soften and age their jeans. Levi's is also actively selling pre-worn jeans on their website. How about that?

Producing jeans using more sustainable processes is not only a Levi's initiative, by the way: about 35% of world-wide jeans production is now done this way, with some processes using as little as a glass of water per pair.

And of course Levi's advertisings is targeted at young people. Who wears and buys more jeans, or has a more hyper focus on either the environment or their future?

Red 333
Also somewhere in Texas.

Edited by Red 333

Great info, thanks Red. 

Reminds me of this satirical article's headline Capitalism-Loving Dad Doesn’t Get Why Things Aren’t Built to Last Anymore

Jeans happen to be my litmus test for folks that get upset about outsourcing and quality issues and prioritize MIUSA stuff... myself included. If you're unwilling to spend $300 on one pair of jeans made in the USA of USA materials, you need to admit you're part of this problem. it's a tough pill to swallow for sure, especially when you realize the environmental impact of production of jeans that are just plain UGLY.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

My 2002 Guild F-412 is red but I'll happily stay with the Vintage Sunburst on my SJ-200.

59CKwKXh.jpg

Ditto, 'ceptin' my F212XL is natural top.  No red here, although there was a cherry sunburst J-45 in my past...

Oh, and by the way, this is the first time I'd ever heard  of  Origami  or whatever her name is, but from the pic I was pretty sure she wasn't a guy.  Unless...

Edited by PrairieSchooner