Gibson Brands Forums

Truth

rct

Hate to bust anyone's bubble, but I used to work for Cadillac when they were located on Clark St. in Detroit, and they were slapped together no differently than most other GM cars.  Especially Oldsmobiles and Buicks.  But that's mostly exterior and mechanics.  The big difference was the attention to interior appointments.  

But....   NOBODY plays a Martin from the inside!  [wink]

Whitefang

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

These days(and for years now) Gibson's been the TOYOTA of guitar makers!  [wink]

Whitefang

Maybe Ford was the Henry J days.

Is there a Canadian auto maker?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe Ford was the Henry J days.

Is there a Canadian auto maker?

My Grandmother once had an old Henry-J.  (a '52)  in the late '50's.  They were built by Kaiser-Frazer in Willow Run, MI.  until 1954.

Hers was a loud, smelly thing that needed a muffler she never got for it as long as she owned it.  As for Canadian auto makers-----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Canada

Did that help?

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

My Grandmother once had an old Henry-J.  (a '52)  in the late '50's.  They were built by Kaiser-Frazer in Willow Run, MI.  until 1954.

Hers was a loud, smelly thing that needed a muffler she never got for it as long as she owned it.  As for Canadian auto makers-----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Canada

Did that help?

Whitefang

Yes.

My uncle worked for Ford in NJ and then got transferred Michigan and lived in Dearborn. He was involved in over seas sales. I think it was his first job after his tour in the Army.

Dearborn is where Ford Motor Co. is headquartered.  Their "big glass house" Corporate headquarter office building) is on Michigan Ave, just off the Southfield Freeway.  Anyone going to Dearborn by that freeway will wind up driving by that place.   Living in Southeast MI means most people either worked for one of the big three or one of the two steel plants in the area.  

Whitefang

21 hours ago, brad1 said:

No, I actually meant I can play the guitar as good as Gene Kelly. I suck!

Haha, Now that made me laugh. Not that you $uc% but you and Gene both play as good as one another! 

I was surprised to learn many actors play the guitar well and that Elvis never could. His movies show that as he doesn't even change chords right or play the right ones. He had to take lessons from someone so that in his movies he could look better like he was playing. Later he could play some but he $uc%ed.  Lol. 

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I drive a Ford, not a Caddy. 

I’d take Fender or Mesa any day of the week when I played electric over anything. And Jennifer over my wife.

I got a Honda Civic Hybrid. 45 mpg. I don’t look cool but I only go to the pump once ever two weeks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I lived in Dearborn for many years. Now I live a bit more north. And yeah around here if you’re into engineering, probably going to get an automotive related job. I hate the auto industry and glad I found an “oasis” job that is not automotive related. It isn’t interesting anymore and not a great area to grow your skills. Once you start getting into making automotive modules and such, the design is already there and you just do what you’re told. No innovation and all about following orders. IDK… just glad I got out of that garbage! Happy I don’t have to sit in the plants and tech centers to make some crappy design I had nothing to do with work. Just sucks the soul out of you a little bit each day you go to work. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

I've driven Japanese cars for the last 30 years. Cant see that ever changing. 

Before that I'd driven 3 cars where the transmission dropped onto the road while under way. Several where the brakes or clutch failed entirely whilst driving. And once where the radiator burst and jetted hot coolant all over my leg. 

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I've driven Japanese cars for the last 30 years. Cant see that ever changing. 

Before that I'd driven 3 cars where the transmission dropped onto the road while under way. Several where the brakes or clutch failed entirely whilst driving. And once where the radiator burst and jetted hot coolant all over my leg. 

So, what kind of cars were THOSE?   You sound kinda rough on cars, eh?  [wink] Anyway...

My 2005 Chevrolet Equinox is still running fine, but then I've yet to put over 80,000 miles on her.

Whitefang