Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 Worth

jibberish

I know...we all know...the value of a guitar depends upon how much the player enjoys the guitar's sound.

So please put that aside.

Knowing what you know about EJ-200s, how much do you believe you would EVER pay for one (sentimentality, famous/previous owners, etc aside)

22 minutes ago, jedzep said:

The year and condition would determine what I'd pay.  I don't know how I would put aside tone as a factor, but I've bought plenty of guitars without hearing them first.

So  you believe that you could possibly pay$1k for an Epi EJ-200?

You truly leave room in your answer that this guitar may possibly exist?

Edited by jibberish

14 minutes ago, jibberish said:

So  you believe that you could possibly pay$1k for an Epi EJ-200?

You truly leave room in your answer that this guitar may possibly exist?

I don’t think anyone would pay that much for an ej-200. Unless it was signed and played by Noel Gallagher haha. But even then someone would have to be a major oasis fan. 

The Epiphone EJ-200  went through a few changes over the years - I believe they were made in Korea at one point then shifted to Indonesia where they are still being made today along with the new solid wood 'Inspired by Gibson' Epiphones.

I have a full body straight acoustic made in Indonesia in 2012 - this version was dropped that year and all EJ-200's were cutaways with built in pick-up.

So how much a EJ-200 is worth depends on model and condition.

Here's my blonde EJ-200 with my IBG Hummingbird and Gibson SJ-200

ixwQUFNl.jpg

A 5 minute search on the internet seems to confirm Dash's estimate of $300.   If you asked this same question on the Epiphone sub-forum here, you might get a higher price.  We had a member here several years ago who's main contribution was to insist that Epiphones were just as good as Gibsons.  Maybe he's found a home over there.   Not sure the reason for the question, in the context of your other post re. J45s and LG2s.  Sort of different animals. Species even. 

jibberish i dont know what your endgame is here- are you trying to find out the value of one or are you considering buying one that you think is overpriced? the IBG ones seem to be quality guitars, a few steps above the standard ej-200, and neither of them seem to come close to a j200. That said both Noel Gallagher and Richard Ashcroft have made a name for themselves with the epiphone version, so anything's possible i guess!

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

while an EJ200 looks a lot like an SJ200,  it aint!

$250/$300 is probably the right landing zone.  The question on a good buy from there would hinge on whether the deal included the OHSC 

I can confirm that ... however if you look at the newer solid wood IBG Epiphones as guitars and not Gibsons, they are very good and outstanding value for money ... but they're not Gibsons.

18 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

jibberish i dont know what your endgame is here- are you trying to find out the value of one or are you considering buying one that you think is overpriced? the IBG ones seem to be quality guitars, a few steps above the standard ej-200, and neither of them seem to come close to a j200. That said both Noel Gallagher and Richard Ashcroft have made a name for themselves with the epiphone version, so anything's possible i guess!

People come here to ask what a guitar is worth because they want to buy or sell one - that's it. If not, who cares what my guitar is worth. It may have gone up or down in value since you got it. I don't sit around all day wondering what mine are worth it isn't worth my time or effort.

38 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

they are very good and outstanding value for money ... but they're not Gibsons.

That's always been the case with Epiphones.   They are getting better as time goes on.  I have a Sheraton Pro II that I just love to death.

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People come here to ask what a guitar is worth because they want to buy or sell one - that's it. If not, who cares what my guitar is worth. It may have gone up or down in value since you got it. I don't sit around all day wondering what mine are worth it isn't worth my time or effort.

Well, he may just be genuinely curious what people's opinions are on the subject.  It's still ok to do that!!! 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Well, he may just be genuinely curious what people's opinions are on the subject.  It's still ok to do that!!! 🙂

Your right but 999 times out of 1000 its due to selling or buying especially when they say, I don't want to sell it, I just want to know. Its an Epi, look on Reverb at ones in the same condition and there you go. Problem solved.

The snarky answer is a guitar is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.  And establishing that is easily done by, as noted, looking at the usual suspects such as Reverb and Ebay completed auctions.    But there are variables.  I would, as example, be willing to pay a bit more for a guitar I could play before buying.   For me not having to buy sight unseen and the convenience of being able to take the guitar home with me adds value.  

Edited by zombywoof

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your right but 999 times out of 1000 its due to selling or buying especially when they say, I don't want to sell it, I just want to know. Its an Epi, look on Reverb at ones in the same condition and there you go. Problem solved.

yea I get it,  it comes up a lot.  It doesn't bug me either.  I can  either answer, or click "See the next thread" thingy.

1 minute ago, kidblast said:

yea I get it,  it comes up a lot.  It doesn't bug me either.  I can  either answer, or click "See the next thread" thingy.

It doesn't bother me either, just see it a lot. Hey can you tell me what strings to buy and what guitar to buy as well?

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

By the way here is a link to Reverbs current list of used EJ-200's. Your Welcome. Looks like people want $400 - 700 for them. 

https://reverb.com/marketplace?product_type=acoustic-guitars&query=Epiphone EJ-200&condition=used

that seems high to me. but hey if they can get it,, more power to em

Edited by kidblast