Gibson Brands Forums

Off the deep end.........

Buc McMaster

Some weeks back I posted about a Les Paul I traded into...........well........

As I certainly knew when I bought it, humbucker pickups just ain't my thing.........too much of a thick rock tone.  But I was seduced by those classic Les Paul lines......my bad.  Having realized my error, I quickly turned that guitar into an awesome Fender Custom Shop '69 Stratocaster........yowzer!  And, having played and loved a Gretsch 6120 back in the day I couldn't resist the Collings Statesman LC with TV Jones Filtertron pickups.  Two entirely different beasts that both sound amazing through the little Swart Atomic Space Tone amp.  Yes, yes........acoustic forum.....I know.......can't help but share my joy with the new instruments though!  Excuse me, please..........

gktfQue.jpg

(Yes, I still have and play the Big Blue Hummingbird!)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thegreatgumbino said:

Excellent news.  We don't want you here.  Works out well for both of us.

That is fine by me, been there many times and enough to know it a backwards arse state. As one person on the forum said, and its not my words, and here is his direct quote, so it is not out of context:

"There are people in Texas that say the civil war was about states rights while, at the same time, denying millions of people basic human rights! Hmmmmm!"

I do like What-A-Burger, it appeared to me it was a state law that one had to be right off every exit on the interstate.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

When it comes to electrics, I favor single coil Strats. They're more clear, cut better, have more dynamics etc. But you gotta have a humbucker if you want to do anything even remotely aggressive like say, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains or Guns N Roses. I've tried single coils to play that sort of music and it just farts out the entire time. Too thin. So imo, you really need two different guitars if you're into rock music. 

19 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

How do you like your amp?I have an electric too. Two actually. A Squier Strat and and a Les Paul Tribute. I am waiting to get the amp I want though...supply lines and such. Fender VIbro Champ reissue.

The Swart AST is great!  20 watts, all tube with reverb and tremolo, single volume and tone control.  Great old school tube tone.

(I have a Fender Blues Jr. LTD for sale if you're into that one!)

For some reason, and I can't exactly pinpoint why, single-coil pickups are much more pleasant to my ears as well. I have had a superb Les Paul Standard but I have always found the Burstbuckers a bit too harsh-sounding. I don't play much electrics these days, hence I sold my 2004 Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe 50th Anniversary. I like Gibson's P-90 a lot, which is why I got a Gibson Les Paul Special in TV-yellow, instead, just for the occassional electric ride.

O0H1b5Q.jpg

CAKGEc6.jpg

Edited by Leonard McCoy

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is fine by me, been there many times and enough to know it a backwards arse state. As one person on the forum said, and its not my words, and here is his direct quote, so it is not out of context:

"There are people in Texas that say the civil war was about states rights while, at the same time, denying millions of people basic human rights! Hmmmmm!"

I do like What-A-Burger, it appeared to me it was a state law that one had to be right off every exit on the interstate.

20 hours ago, gdecant1 said:

There are people in Texas that say the civil war was about states rights while, at the same time, denying millions of people basic human rights! Hmmmmm!

I didn't realize Collins was using Filtertron's.  Very cool..  My Gretsch has blacktops, and they are pretty good, but I'd wager the TV Jone's would be a stop above

And I do know about their electrics tho.  they make some fine axes.

I know about those amps  as well  Cool little things aren't they.

My son has one in his studio's amp farm. 

There's enough reverb coming out of that thing to create a wormhole to a distant galaxy.

Sgt. Pepper,    the quote  was from gdecant  who is from Ohio.      Many here in Texas believe the Civil War was about slavery.  As far as  his  "denying millions of people basic human rights! Hmmm".           I'm not sure what that is suppose to mean.  Unless gdecant is confusing Texas with China.   

I'm constantly amazed at how you can take a pleasant thread - about guitars -  and try to turn it into a shyte storm.     I read somewhere that  It takes as much effort to choose to be happy as it does to choose to be  unhappy.   Maybe JVI is on to something. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fortyearspickn said:

Here ya go.      

Back to guitars?   OK.    As I recall, you've only had one Gibson acoustic in your life and only for a few weeks.   

You are correct. A J-15 and it was a POS. One acoustic and many electrics, so what is your point. You think I never played a J-45 or HB, or a the new 2 hole abortions, or any other Gibson in the acoustic room when they are there. I pick them up every time they are available to touch.

Gorgeous guitars and congrats OP!

It’s too bad that Sgt. Pecker, sorry meant Pepper (autocorrect really can get creative sometimes) has once again made a thread all about him. He wouldn’t last a minute in Texas and exists behind the comfort of his keyboard. 

Enjoy those guitars in good health!

Edited by sbpark
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

When it comes to electrics, I favor single coil Strats. They're more clear, cut better, have more dynamics etc. But you gotta have a humbucker if you want to do anything even remotely aggressive like say, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains or Guns N Roses. I've tried single coils to play that sort of music and it just farts out the entire time. Too thin. So imo, you really need two different guitars if you're into rock music. 

I'm a Tele guy, myself. A Broadcaster, actually, with the 1951 wiring. Led Zeppelin to Keith Richards to Country Twang. I sold my USA Strat and USA Tele and other items to fund. I need to take some of my own pics. For now, one from the online store.

oB7hseG.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

For some reason, and I can't exactly pinpoint why, single-coil pickups are much more pleasant to my ears as well. I have had a superb Les Paul Standard but I have always found the Burstbuckers a bit too harsh-sounding. I don't play much electrics these days, hence I sold my 2004 Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe 50th Anniversary. I like Gibson's P-90 a lot, which is why I got a Gibson Les Paul Special in TV-yellow, instead, just for the occassional electric ride.

O0H1b5Q.jpg

CAKGEc6.jpg

I agree. P-90's are fantastic. Such a solid signal for a single coil. I had two cheapos that I sold to help fund other things, but a P-90 guitar will happen again.