Gibson Brands Forums

the lawyer guitar

Gibson Artist

Rickenbacker 360 2010 in Fireglo red, they say only doctors and lawyers own them which is why half the music stores wont even let you play them lol.  This is also why many are mint when resold, not a lot of gigging musicians use em but i  Wanted to see what all the fuss is about, and i hate to admit it, but i really dig this thing.  The fret board juts out a few inches from the body, and the nut width is small, both of which actually seems to make it easier to play from my perspective.  While i love my gibsons, this is quite a fun addition to the lineup!  Why i am even considering making a Tom Petty tribute band with my girlfriend.   We both love the sound, colour and feel, (she plays guitar also).  Any other Rick owners?iQBgjFl.jpg

• Like 1

I don't own any ric's never have, but I have a bud who has several including a 12 string, very nice, and a really nice 4 string bass.

but because of the nut spacing I find his 12 a bit tricky to play as is.  Not a lot of room between the string pairs.

I dig their Fireglow finish, I think that's what that is right?

Congrats on the purhcase!

she's a beauty.

Edited by kidblast

12 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I don't own any ric's never have, but I have a bud who has several including a 12 string, very nice, and a really nice 4 string bass.

but because of the nut spacing I find it a bit tricky to play as is.  Not a lot of room between the string pairs.

I dig their Fireglow finish, I think that's what that is right?

Congrats on the purhcase!

she's a beauty.

Thanks, yes, Fireglo, they are great rhythm guitars, but many guys find the nut width too small.  I believe there is a tom petty model with a 1.75 nut width that is much more comfortable, especially for taller folks with bigger hands. Not sure if its still in production tho.  The Rick bass always sounded cool, but one of my friends who plays em says theyre a nightmare to intonate and he changed the bridge for a badass.

3 hours ago, Gibson Artist said:

Thanks, yes, Fireglo, they are great rhythm guitars, but many guys find the nut width too small.  I believe there is a tom petty model with a 1.75 nut width that is much more comfortable, especially for taller folks with bigger hands. Not sure if its still in production tho.  The Rick bass always sounded cool, but one of my friends who plays em says theyre a nightmare to intonate and he changed the bridge for a badass.

Ric's are notorious for being "quirky"  

Nothing on earth sounds like them tho. 

Enjoy yours. it really is a gorgeous axe   if an axe can be gorgeous!  (yes, it can!)

Congrats on the Ric 360! Its a beauty.

I have two 650s (650C & 650D). The blonde one is the Colorado. The walnut one is the Dakota. These have a wide 1.75" inch nut (the 660 models also have 1.75" nut width).

These are 'through neck' models with 24 frets. The pickups are mini humbuckers so they don't have the jangle (like the toaster PUs). The Colorado is heavier as its entirely maple while the Dakota has walnut wings.

The 650C is the darling of all my working guitars.

QfnvkYW.jpg

Other differences are the D has a one piece neck & the C is a two piece. The C is lacquered all over & the D has no finish. 

ThLs3Tv.jpg

Below is me (with Blown Out) using the Colorado at a Southsea (Portsmouth) gig.

dhrw0KZ.jpg

Edited by merciful-evans
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gibson Artist said:

Thanks, yes, Fireglo, they are great rhythm guitars, 

Thank you.  I recall when back 15-20 years ago in some other guitar player forum when I mentioned that back in the "day"( in my case '66-'67 or so)  there was the opinion/belief that Rics were made only for playing rhythm there were many who dismissed it since they claimed to have never heard of such a thing.  I remember back then upon hearing it that I couldn't figure out why the limitation. 

I never did get around to playing one, so can't address the nut thing.   But I've always thought they were gorgeous(that Fireglo especially) and I'm kinda green with envy about your acquisition. 

Have a blast with it!  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Not a doctor or lawyer but I have 2 Rics: 1974 4001 bass (I bought in 1976) & 2005 620 - both Fireglo.

To me, nothing can match the sound of a 4001 Ric bass - played with a pic! 

I've been eyeing the same 360 Fireglo you have, just haven't come across one I could afford! Congrats!!

I38mJSg.jpg

• Like 2

When your a lawyer or doctor, nothing shows how great of a pretend guitarist you are until you buy that 10k Murphy Aged LP or a limited edition 1 of 25 made Jimi Hendrix left hand Flying V.

Rics are still relatively affordable.  

When I got back into playing 7 years back my wife asked me what my "dream guitar" was.

I said I always wanted to own a RIC, I found one for sale at GC and immediately grabbed it - 1998 330 Jetglo.
A friend at work said I needed the right amp for it so I bought his 2008 VOX AD30VT.

There really is something special about these guitars but they are very different to play in feel to Gibsons or Fenders.

The fret-board is interesting because it's coated.

Congrats on yours, it's a lovely color.

2015-07-05-My-RIC.jpg

2015-10-03-My-RIC-VOX.jpg

Edited by nhwildbill
add
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2022 at 2:52 PM, Brytam said:

Not a doctor or lawyer but I have 2 Rics: 1974 4001 bass (I bought in 1976) & 2005 620 - both Fireglo.

To me, nothing can match the sound of a 4001 Ric bass - played with a pic! 

I've been eyeing the same 360 Fireglo you have, just haven't come across one I could afford! Congrats!!

I38mJSg.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful!  I cant play bass very well, but the sound of those Ricks is unique and interesting.  That 620 reminds me of mike campbells, i love his solo in the waiting, very solid player ihmo. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:16 AM, nhwildbill said:

When I got back into playing 7 years back my wife asked me what my "dream guitar" was.

I said I always wanted to own a RIC, I found one for sale at GC and immediately grabbed it - 1998 330 Jetglo.
A friend at work said I needed the right amp for it so I bought his 2008 VOX AD30VT.

There really is something special about these guitars but they are very different to play in feel to Gibsons or Fenders.

The fret-board is interesting because it's coated.

Congrats on yours, it's a lovely color.

2015-07-05-My-RIC.jpg

2015-10-03-My-RIC-VOX.jpg

When i see a black 330 all i can think of is the Smiths, but they were great so i give two thumbs up to this!   Ive not tried mine with a Vox yet!   Note, i said yet haha.

On 4/9/2022 at 6:23 AM, merciful-evans said:

Congrats on the Ric 360! Its a beauty.

I have two 650s (650C & 650D). The blonde one is the Colorado. The walnut one is the Dakota. These have a wide 1.75" inch nut (the 660 models also have 1.75" nut width).

These are 'through neck' models with 24 frets. The pickups are mini humbuckers so they don't have the jangle (like the toaster PUs). The Colorado is heavier as its entirely maple while the Dakota has walnut wings.

The 650C is the darling of all my working guitars.

QfnvkYW.jpg

Other differences are the D has a one piece neck & the C is a two piece. The C is lacquered all over & the D has no finish. 

ThLs3Tv.jpg

Below is me (with Blown Out) using the Colorado at a Southsea (Portsmouth) gig.

dhrw0KZ.jpg

This is great, i thought the only large width one was the Tom Petty, this is exactly what a lot of people would like in a Rick, not everyone has small hands like me.   Yours are lovely.

• Thanks 1