Gibson Brands Forums

Tinnitus.

AXE®

Got it bad in my left ear, I was driving my van the other day with the radio turned up and I could still hear the ringing in my ear, at 45 this playing and listening to loud rock music is taking its toll but the up side is I can,t hear the wife nagging like I could. I asked my doctor if there is a cure and he said that they can operate but the down side is that you keep loosing your balance and as I am an aerial fitter I think I will give that one a miss. Anyway if you don,t have tinnitus your just not doing it right. Pardon say that again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have what is classified as minor hearing damage - slight high frequency loss.

So it's time to get serious.

Buy a sound level meter (you can get one at Radio Shack and other outlets). Set it on "A" weighting and slow response. Don't let anything over 85db enter your ears. Even if your TV or barking dog is louder than that, it can do permanent damage to your ears.

Since I discovered the damage, I have used custom fit Etymotic ear attenuators and over a decade later, my hearing hasn't gotten any worse. The nice thing about Etymotic plugs, is that they are high fidelity plugs, they don't trim the high frequencies very much at all.

If the sound level is between 85 and 100, I put the 15db attenuators in. Over 100 I put in the 25s. Over 110 I leave the room.

Also watch your TV, CD, tool, and other noisemaker levels. The only way to tell for sure is to use the meter.

Once the damage is done, it cannot be repaired, but you can keep it from getting worse.

I knew a drummer who did big band stuff, never very loud to a rock musician (sadly he is doing the great gig in the sky now). He kept on buying brighter and brighter cymbals, because he couldn't hear them anymore. 85db is not that loud.

Before air conditioned trucks, the truck drivers used to go deaf in their left ear from the sound of the air rushing in through the window. 85db is not that loud.

Get the sound meter, and protect what is left of your hearing.

Of course, feel free to ignore the above, it's your body, your ears, and if you want to become deaf for today's pleasure, it's your business.

Notes

• 5 months later...

I thought of posting about this myself because I have it also from music, power tools, military aircraft and firearms.

So I did a search and it apears more of us than not have this ringing in our ears,

I use a fan at night or else the quiet would be too loud.

I think this is an important topic for those that can take steps now to prevent damage so a bump is okay, maybe there should

be a little warning about this topic as a sticky somewhere, and if there is already.........nevermind.

I was diagnosed about ten years ago, but it had been bothering me for much longer. I hear this roaring sound that sort of comes in waves. Sometimes, most usually in the evening, I can't even hear myself think. But it's really an intermittant problem with me. Thankfully, most of the time I hardly notice it. Again, shooting without hearing protection when I was younger and concert-going without hearing protection did it to me.

tuckomf, I love that "final front ear" line. I can't wait to use it.

I have it bad enough that I have to play CDs to get to sleep. I can't hear crickets or cicaidads. I have been reading where you can get hearing aids that will cansel your tinitus and it will seem like you never had it. I haven't checked it out but I imagine that they would cost big $$$.

Discuss:

How many of us have a form' date=' being from mild to severe?[/quote']

Severe, that and chronic ear infections, sometimes my ears whistle so bad, I can't hear anything else 'til it goes away

and I won't even get into the constant draining, balance problems (inner ear)...my ears are a mess, and 7 1/2 years of the constant deafening roar of the vent fans at E.B., and years of very loud jamming have left me tone deaf, and yes, I did wear ear protection.

A bit in my right ear' date=' pretty bad in my left. Tried wearing earplugs but can't sing with them in.[/quote']

Odd you come up with this right now GuitarJunkie. I'm suffering from a light form of tinnitus mainly caused by an otitis media serosa, since 2 months now. I've been playing and listening loud music since I was 10, and I'm a huge iPod user(even sleep with it???), so I need to change my old habits at least if I'm not want to end up like Beethoven. This is weird man!

I'm only 17 so I don't have hardly any damage at all. But I can tell the hearing in my left ear is a little jacked up.

I have slight ringing. Sometimes my band plays LOUD and I go to concerts all the time that are also incredibly loud.

I'm gonna start wearing some eat protection. I love hearing just as much as I love seeing. And some of the stuff I subject my hearing to would be the equivilent of staring at the sun for a prolonged period of time.

At least I don't blast my iPod. I blast everything but my iPod.

any back ground noise anyone talking sounds like they are mumbling

I'm the same way with the background noise and voices. But I've recently been told that nothing's wrong with my hearing, so I'm writing that one off as a general lack of interest in what other people have to say to me. :-

Archived