Gibson Brands Forums

It’s been a while

AnneS

After more than a year of radio silence, I finally had a song come to me today.  It’s not earthshaking or anything, but it feels true enough, and I’m just glad it showed up. It really has been a long a$$ drought.

You know what to do (or not!)—it’s just a first capture, but I thought I’d share it right out of the gate. (It’s the j100 with thousand-year-old strings.)

https://song.space/3cshqq

• Like 1

Anne,  that was touching.  Timely.   Would make anyone stop what they're doing and sit down and really think.   What a song should do!  

I'm sure you know, a song like this taking a year to percolate is worth the wait.  

Jumbos with old strings.  Like old pickup trucks.    Thanks.

15 hours ago, kwalker201 said:

It would be cool if we could all meet up for a weekend jam session 

I would think, with a good percentage of us now at / or close to retirement, this would be possible. Perhaps not a club because some may not drink nor prefer to be in a club atmosphere, but maybe an outdoor type of venue with covering during the cooler fall weather. Some State Parks rent such pavilions.

Might be fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I would think, with a good percentage of us now at / or close to retirement, this would be possible. Perhaps not a club because some may not drink nor prefer to be in a club atmosphere, but maybe an outdoor type of venue with covering during the cooler fall weather. Some State Parks rent such pavilions.

Might be fun.

I don't have the set-up Fred had...but I could host a jam in my back yard.... I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, so that's a problem for the East Coast guys.

Very nice song. But were we told that wars made us great? I thank God for all of the brave people who stood up to tyranny and attempts of genocide. All from my country give thanks to the Americans and all it's allies.

How ironic is the similar melody of this song to yours. Memorial Day for the United States of America

Edited by Raul Rehlmann

7 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

I thank God for all of the brave people who stood up to tyranny and attempts of genocide. All from my country give thanks to the Americans and all it's allies.

Over here we can't thank and honour those guys on Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword enough.   WAXGffH.jpg  The Southern front as well. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Very nice song. But were we told that wars made us great? I thank God for all of the brave people who stood up to tyranny and attempts of genocide. All from my country give thanks to the Americans and all it's allies.

The bravery of all those who fight against tyranny cannot be questioned, of course. Ever.
The song, I think, speaks only to a creeping disillusionment that grows when patriotic fervor is engendered for its own sake and stifles deeper inquiry into and understanding of the real sacrifices of war. There are noble purposes for war and there are really ugly purposes for war. I grew up in a place and time where we were given to assume (erroneously, I think) all the wars were noble. Knowing now what I didn’t know then…

• Like 1

There is a venue for us - the Gibson Homecoming in Bozeman is coming up in early June - it will include a tour of the newly expanded acoustic factory in Bozeman - open mics each night, and  the opportunity to meet up with fellow Gibson guitar aficionados to collaborate, play, spill coffee, and even visit Ren Fergusons shop, and talk everything Gibson.  Even get to meet some of the company brass.

2022 GIBSON HOMECOMING SCHEDULE

17TH ANNUAL

JUNE 13th MONDAY

7:00 - 9:00 MEET & GREET -GRAN TREE PATIO OR BAR (depending on the weather)

JUNE 14TH TUESDAY

9:00 - 10:30 - FREE TIME

10:00 - 11:30 - GIBSON GUITAR ACOUSTIC STAFF TALKING SHOP

11:30 - 1:00 - FREE TIME / LUNCH

On 5/29/2022 at 4:58 AM, Murph said:

Might be fun.

1:00 - 3:30 - FREE TIME

4:00 - 6:30 - DINNER

7:00 - 10:00 - MIKE GOECKE OPEN MIC(COMFORT INN CONFERENCE ROOM)                                          

JUNE 15TH WEDNESDAY

10:00 - 12:00 GIBSON PLANT TOUR

12:00-1:00- FREE TIME / LUNCH

1:00 - 2:30 - TOUR OF VAL'S SHOP (312 PEARL DRIVE, BELGRADE)

3:00 - 5:30 - TOUR OF RENS SHOP (1679 BANDOLLERO DRIVE, BELGRADE)

5:30 - 7:00 - DINNER

7:00 - 9:00 –BOB RIEMENSCHNEIDER OPEN MIC (COMFORT INN CONF. ROOM)

9:00 – 10:00 JAM SESSION

JUNE 16TH THURSDAY

10:00 - 5:00 - MUSIC VILLA

3:00-5:00 - RAMBLIN' RANGERS(MUSIC VILLA)

5:00 - 7:00 - FREE TIME/DINNER

7:00 - 11:00 - OPEN MIC/JAM SESSION/GROUP PHOTO (COMFORT INN)

5 hours ago, duluthdan said:

There is a venue for us - the Gibson Homecoming in Bozeman is coming up in early June - it will include a tour of the newly expanded acoustic factory in Bozeman - open mics each night, and  the opportunity to meet up with fellow Gibson guitar aficionados to collaborate, play, spill coffee, and even visit Ren Fergusons shop, and talk everything Gibson.  Even get to meet some of the company brass.

2022 GIBSON HOMECOMING SCHEDULE

17TH ANNUAL

JUNE 13th MONDAY

7:00 - 9:00 MEET & GREET -GRAN TREE PATIO OR BAR (depending on the weather)

JUNE 14TH TUESDAY

9:00 - 10:30 - FREE TIME

10:00 - 11:30 - GIBSON GUITAR ACOUSTIC STAFF TALKING SHOP

11:30 - 1:00 - FREE TIME / LUNCH

1:00 - 3:30 - FREE TIME

4:00 - 6:30 - DINNER

7:00 - 10:00 - MIKE GOECKE OPEN MIC(COMFORT INN CONFERENCE ROOM)                                          

JUNE 15TH WEDNESDAY

10:00 - 12:00 GIBSON PLANT TOUR

12:00-1:00- FREE TIME / LUNCH

1:00 - 2:30 - TOUR OF VAL'S SHOP (312 PEARL DRIVE, BELGRADE)

3:00 - 5:30 - TOUR OF RENS SHOP (1679 BANDOLLERO DRIVE, BELGRADE)

5:30 - 7:00 - DINNER

7:00 - 9:00 –BOB RIEMENSCHNEIDER OPEN MIC (COMFORT INN CONF. ROOM)

9:00 – 10:00 JAM SESSION

JUNE 16TH THURSDAY

10:00 - 5:00 - MUSIC VILLA

3:00-5:00 - RAMBLIN' RANGERS(MUSIC VILLA)

5:00 - 7:00 - FREE TIME/DINNER

7:00 - 11:00 - OPEN MIC/JAM SESSION/GROUP PHOTO (COMFORT INN)

Too bad.... I'll be putting on one of the largest dog show clusters on the West Coast those dates......I wanted to get up that way....Ren Fergson told me he'd sign the back of the headstocks on my three Montana-built Custom Shop guitars!