Gibson Brands Forums

What do YOU like more about the SG than the LP?

heymisterk

Upper fret access, especially on a 61 RI.

Looks are all SG, the Guild copy is cool too.

I think my SG 61 with Maestro is the Ultimate SG - I love it.

Truth be told, I'm STILL a Les Paul guy first, even if they are a stupid design.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of buying one with the Maestro tailpiece, but am ignorant in this area...Does that make the guitar fall out of tune more often?

Like two beautiful women standing side by side, both the Les Paul and SG are special. But I'm a sucker for a thin build...

I bought my SG in '79, it's a great guitar but I wanted a different sound. (Can you imagine Parisienne Walkways on an SG ?). When I tried the Custom it was a different, brighter sound. I can roll off the treble and make it sound more like an SG, but the SG can't dig out the extra treble to sound like the Les Paul. I played both these guitars and a Washburn superstrat in a blind test, and another guitarist correctly identified the Gibsons. I'm not keen on tweaking eq to get guitars to sound the same, I prefer to let each guitar have their own character.

I'm thinking of buying one with the Maestro tailpiece' date=' but am ignorant in this area...Does that make the guitar fall out of tune more often?[/quote']

Only if you fail to keep your nut and saddles clean and/or don't take a little time to familiarize yourself with it.

H-Bomb

I'm thinking of buying one with the Maestro tailpiece' date=' but am ignorant in this area...Does that make the guitar fall out of tune more often?

Like two beautiful women standing side by side, both the Les Paul and SG are special. But I'm a sucker for a thin build...[/quote']

Those Maestro's are fantastically sweet! A lot of times, guitars that go outta tune alot need some lube at the nut and bridge. There are different brands of graphite based stuff. Also, when tuning, always tune up to the note. If it's sharp, tune down, then up so the string will set. It may take a few times to get it right.

I also love both LP and SG. I'm quite tired of the bursts on LPs, though and really dislike the brown, stained wood ones. The really deep red on some of the SG's are gorgeous.

• 6 months later...

Im a country picker ,

I have many different makes of guitars, I even worked for a guitar factory & made guitars , I still build one now & then . But as far as Gibson They have some of the best guitars in the busyness eve the Epiphone is a great instrument.

I like & have both guitars, LP & SG But the SG is lighter , I have a bad back & standing up with an LP is tiresome for me.

The first guitar I learned a chord on was a burgandy 64 SG jr with a single P 90 at the bridge, with the old bar preset bridge & the maestro vibrato tail piece, I thought that was the most beautiful guitar I had ever seen. ( still is ) it has that wicked look.

Then I plucked the strings with a medium triangle pick

POW! it was like Lightening struck. who ever made the SG jr was right on track Those P 90`s are the best sounding pick up made,

I have a 75 SG that I`ve managed to put a b & G string bending system in the same type system I designed & use in my electric banjo.

I was told I couldn`t find a bender that would fit in that thin body, So I made my own with push buttons that I work under my wrist.

it`s worked great on both strings for many years, but I only use the B string part now a days. as far as P 90`s

I even use P 90`s on my electric banjo`s as well

( Best Darn pick up made !

The Less Paul has a slightly dulll & beefier or bassier tone , great for rock or finger picking & recording but too HEAVY !!!!

Dan

I had an LP for months before I got the SG.

The LP growls while the SG has bite.

I hope that makes sense.

That's how I hear them when they're both distorted.

The SG is, to my little frame, a perfect fit.

My little hands can handle any chord now.

The LP sounds amazing though, maybe I just gotta play the SG more to get used to it.

In the end, "right tool, right job" is the law.

If you're a blues-man most likely not gonna dig the SG as much as you'd dig the LP.

Hell, while we're at it, if you're a folk singer you'd just hold up your Martin xD

Tell you what, an LP is an impressive guitar to tote around o.o

I always feel a little badder asser when I have the LP strapped *feels guilty and shallow

This has come in the email news letter today. Seriously Gibson are trying to push the SG over the last two years. For me there isn't much I like about the SG. I think a guitar should be shaped like a Les Paul. The reason is that ES175 is what a real guitar is shaped like. To make a solid body guitar you would make a Les Paul.

Better fret access to the higher neck area's are always given as reason for an SG over a Les Paul. What about fret access to the 16 lower frets where 99.9% of playing is done. If you want fret access get an RG not an SG! But then you would have bad tone. That's the reason I like Les Paul's better than SGs. They have better tone. That's the reason I like my ES135 with Seymour Duncan P90's over my Les Paul or ES335 - better tone.

Lighter weight is also a reason. Ok how about the Les Paul DC Standard. It's chambered body is very light, it has great upper fret access and a lovely flamed top. The SG can't compete with that.

I guess you could ask would you rather a Les Paul DC Special or an SG Special. I'd go the Les Paul because the body looks artistically balanced. On that note I have two Les Paul Melody Makers with P90 (2003-2007). They are the cheapest Gibson ever made, and the lightest. They have great tone and you can wear them on you neck for a year and not realise it.

SO I guess what I like most about the SG is the horrible looking body shape, the difficult lower fret access, the tacky looking sheet of plastic covering the top, and the flexible weak neck joint. Also I like the weaker 490T because it makes it less versatile than a 498T, and who would want versatility.

Why compare a Les Paul to an SG? It's just Pineapples to Pears. Just get the one you like. No need to compare or squabble over this or that.

Gibson are trying to push the SG over the last two years.

I like my ES135 with Seymour Duncan P90's over my Les Paul or ES335

the tacky looking sheet of plastic covering the top' date=' and the flexible weak neck joint. [/quote']

Gibson has indeed been pushing the SG.

Goes in cycles - always has.

I don't like the full batwing pickguard either, covers too much Mahogany.

You have a 335?

I have a Dot reissue that I love - the neck flexes more on the 335 than it does my SG 61.

Weak neck joint is something I keep hearing about from people who don't actually own an SG....

The SG is just a more comfortable guitar to play, and I like the sound a little better. It's got more punch than the LP, which is more smooth. Also, again, just more ergonomic in general. I can't get past those giant single cut neck joints.

And of course, of course, there's the fact that they simply look cooler:

SGs3.jpg

A lot of people seem to regard the SG as some sort of a compromise, because they prefer the weight, fret access or price. I chose the SG'61 reissue because of the sound. I didn't consider any other factor, but I do love the weight and the neck is perfect for me. The Les Paul is still one of my favourite guitars, along with the Telecaster and Yamaha SG2000.

In addition' date=' if you haven't checked out Guild's S-100, if you love SGs, you owe it to yourself to try one. [/quote']

I don't own an SG 'yet', but having played a couple, I do love the feel and the access to the upper register. I sometimes get a little frustrated with playing the upper frets on my LP.

I think the Guild S-100 that you are talking about is the 'newer' model which looks like an SG. I've got a '65 S-100 which looks nothing like an SG... and sounds soooo smooth for an old single coil.

IM001501.JPG

SG. Yeah, it's neck heavy. Yeah, it's a bit more reach to the frets just past the nut.

I just noticed one of the guys has a pix of a Melody Maker next to the SG next to the Paul. The Melody Maker body is enough different it may balance such as to make the frets near the nut seem easier to reach????

I love the sound of the Paul, but it just never did anything for me. I'm basically a hollow and semi-hollow player, but oddly some friends say the SG style even does finger style jazz best of my guitars. Don't ask me why 'cuz I don't have the slightest idea.

m

Archived