Gibson Brands Forums

Bill Gates Buying Up American Farmland

Murph

I think the personality type of people who become  Super Rich leads them ultimately to feel guilty and empowered to shape the direction of the human condition.  "Elite" doesn't come close to describing it.  At least back in the era of Rockefeller, Carnegie, Ford - they were limited by technology.  Now, many don't even dance around the edges with 'Green' this and 'Peace' that.  They jump right into actual politics and law making - or finance people who do.   I guess we've passed the point where politicians who will not accept term limits would consider not accepting donations from people and 'foundations' outside of their state, country even.  

And, to get back to the OP -  China not only owns a lot of our farmland - but also the processors.  "Food Chain" - a subset of our Supply Chain.    China owns  "Nathan's" .  Owns "Smithfield Farms"- which owns Nathans.    And my mother use to worry about what they put in hot dogs.  

4 hours ago, IanHenry said:

It always makes me wonder how much those people want?  I was thinking the same thing a few days ago when I saw the Euromillions lottery was £190,000,000, what would you do with 190 million?  You couldn't possibly spend it in your lifetime and I'd imagine that you could end up pretty missarable when you could have anything you want at the click of your fingers, everything would become worthless to you.  You'd have to give most of it away.

I don't know what their lottery is like, but If we can play it over here they might convert the winnings into U.S. dollars.  And then there's the  U.S. income tax to pay here.  And as you weren't "oficially" among the top 1% when you won, you'll probably pay the same rate any other schlub does. [cursing]   So you'll probably only have to wonder about what to do with about 95 million.  [wink]

Whitefang

I know wealthy People who are well balanced, caring, helpful, generous, talented, intelligent, law abiding & God loving. They are also happy & don't have to put on Airs. They don’t have to prove anything..

On the other hand there are many lazy, criminal, perverted, mentally sick people who wouldn’t lift a finger to help another person who aren’t wealthy.. Or even help themselves to a better life..

1 hour ago, jvi said:

perhaps the West shouldnt sell "it all " to other nations and with it jobs....

Once again the voice of reason on the Gibson Forum. Its just that easy. Don't sell.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvi said:

perhaps the West shouldnt sell "it all " to other nations and with it jobs....

Right  but -- nope,  too late to stop now.

The people behind these deals are making it hand over fist, so, no,  the "Sell out" of America will continue.   

9 hours ago, IanHenry said:

It always makes me wonder how much those people want?  I was thinking the same thing a few days ago when I saw the Euromillions lottery was £190,000,000, what would you do with 190 million?  You couldn't possibly spend it in your lifetime and I'd imagine that you could end up pretty missarable when you could have anything you want at the click of your fingers, everything would become worthless to you.  You'd have to give most of it away.

I'd make sure friends and family got a large chunk. 

17 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I think I could find a way to manage drinking 18 year old Macallen Scotch, and buying a guitar a day, and eating crab legs every night. Those things just might sooth away the misery of being rich.

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think I could find a way to manage drinking 18 year old Macallen Scotch, and buying a guitar a day, and eating crab legs every night. Those things just might sooth away the misery of being rich.

ye that's kind of how I'm thinkin bout-dat

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I bet he's gonna grow rhubarb 

Don't know why you'd think so, but I'll buy as much as possible.  I got my Mother's recipe for rhubarb pie.  No strawberries for the unreasonably squeamish.  [wink]

Whitefang

46 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Don't know why you'd think so, but I'll buy as much as possible.  I got my Mother's recipe for rhubarb pie.  No strawberries for the unreasonably squeamish.  [wink]

Whitefang

I've seen strawberry rhubarb pie but never tasted it.

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

YES! My Grandma grew the Rhubard & Strawberries & her Pie was the best!

Mom had it down, my Grandmother (my dad's mom) had it down as well.  I've never had a slice so good since they've both passed.

20 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

It was a flippant thing to say & I cant justify it. Nevertheless, the reason is because it made me think of this (no I don't know why): 

wiki

In the United Kingdom it is or was common for a crowd of extras in acting to shout the word "rhubarb" repeatedly and out of step with each other, to cause the effect of general hubbub. It was this use which inspired Sykes to use it as the only word in "Rhubarb Rhubarb"*

* a film by Eric Sykes

I love rhubarb Crumble and Rhubarb Fool. 

I saw a frozen Straw/Rhubarb pie in a grocery store the other day. $17.99. It stayed frozen.

Back to the topic at hand. If you got the cash and want the farmland, then outbid Bill. If not just like prices going up. All we’re gonna do is talk about it.