Gibson Brands Forums

Authenticity of Gibsons

Jason H

5 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Two screws is one small indication it may not be a knock-off.  Why, exactly, do you think it might be?   You're asking us to 'prove a negative'.  

It’s only because I’ve bought it from a pawn broker. I did a lil research which pointed out a few quick tells of a knockoff.  Hence the 2 screws in that location. Also another thing is the tuning peg covers are all the same which apparently is a good thing. Serial number seems legit, but like that old saying, if it seems to good to be true, it normal is. 

5 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I have seen people go on a forum leading with "is this real" and they're really trying to draw attention to the counterfeit guitars they are selling online.   Let's just say from the intro question & verbal tee-up, my spider senses were tingling.  

If you read my posts, I also mentioned that I really wouldn’t care that much if it was worth 50 bucks. It’s my childhood dream guitar, whether 100% legit or a fake. I’m just trying to learn n determine if I have something more than anticipated. 

It's very easy Jason, since the guitar is in your possesion

take off the trus rod cover.

if you need a 5/16 hex socket to adjust it, it's USA made

If you need an Allen Wrench, it's counterfeit.

NONE of the imports use a US Standard hex bolt for the truss rod cap

• Thanks 1

Just now, kidblast said:

It's very easy Jason, since the guitar is in your possesion

take off the trus rod cover.

if you need a 5/16 hex socket to adjust it, it's USA made

If you need an Allen Wrench, it's counterfeit.

NONE of the imports use a US Standard hex bolt for the truss rod cap

Thanks mate, that is something else I’ve just learnt n appreciate. Only problem is I don’t know wat the trus rod  cover is lol. Silly Aussie ha ha. 

10 minutes ago, Jason H said:

Thanks mate, that is something else I’ve just learnt n appreciate. Only problem is I don’t know wat the trus rod  cover is lol. Silly Aussie ha ha. 

th?id=OIP.xGUHsFTW4CpMwJRphayi-QHaE7&pid=Api&P=0

This is a TRC

12 minutes ago, Jason H said:

Thanks mate. I’m so green with this stuff. Owned a few guitars but never knew correct terminology. Thanks again. Will inspect asap. Cheers

Yeah dont worry about the grumpy people...  We all have to start somewhere.. No need to apologise for that.

Really as most have said.. We need pictures to really tell you anything, 

35 minutes ago, Jason H said:

it's up on the headstock  right under the strings,... 

53 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I have seen people go on a forum leading with "is this real" and they're really trying to draw attention to the counterfeit guitars they are selling online.   Let's just say from the intro question & verbal tee-up, my spider senses were tingling.  

I don't recall Jason was ever claiming he was trying to sell anything.  If anything, his use of "To be perfectly honest....." and variants was more a confession of his ignorance in these matters.  Ignorance as in lacking knowledge of certain information.   Seems to me Ghost, that your "spider senses" :rolleyes: are on the fritz. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I don't recall Jason was ever claiming he was trying to sell anything.  If anything, his use of "To be perfectly honest....." and variants was more a confession of his ignorance in these matters.  Ignorance as in lacking knowledge of certain information.   Seems to me Ghost, that your "spider senses" :rolleyes: are on the fritz. 

Whitefang

can't we just go back to being a forum where people could ask a question, and get an answer and not have to duck any flak ??

I remember those days when it was like this  an  they were good...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kidblast said:

can't we just go back to being a forum where people could ask a question, and get an answer and not have to duck any flak ??

I remember those days when it was like this  an  they were good...

Yes..  I think thats why this place is so boring these days..  You start a thread and try and get people talking and most of the time all you end up with is a bunch of one liners or irrelevant comments. And it just leads to more of it and no actual discussion.  I mean we do get discussion sometimes, but mostly it seems to be about who can come up with the best insult... I am all for sarcasm but when thats most of the content on the site, it gets dull. And thats when people arent just arguing with each other over political stuff that they will never agree on and know will just get the thread closed in the end..???

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yes..  I think thats why this place is so boring these days..  You start a thread and try and get people talking and most of the time all you end up with is a bunch of one liners or irrelevant comments. And it just leads to more of it and no actual discussion.  I mean we do get discussion sometimes, but mostly it seems to be about who can come up with the best insult... I am all for sarcasm but when thats most of the content on the site, it gets dull. And thats when people arent just arguing with each other over political stuff that they will never agree on and know will just get the thread closed in the end..???

I find it sad when a new member, and even more so, a new player shows up, and asks a few questions and gets roasted for it.

It's not in the spirit of why these forums exist nor why I belong to places like this.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I find it sad when a new member, and even more so, a new player shows up, and asks a few questions and gets roasted for it.

It's not in the spirit of why these forums exist nor why I belong to places like this.

Your right, but the time to go . . .  "Oh s-hit it this thing real?",  is not after you spent 3k (just a number I typed in) on a guitar you may know nothing about, with maybe no refund policy. 

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your right, but the time to go . . .  "Oh s-hit it this thing real?",  is not after you spent 3k (just a number I typed in) on a guitar you may know nothing about, with maybe no refund policy. 

Of course, you're 100% right,  and yea,  WE all know this  but the reality is some times,  folks who are just coming on board, will wind up in the deep end of the pool before they even know it. 

That could be the case here.  

Lets hope the luck is with this one, and the axe is legit.

Pictures help when questioning authenticity  . There is no way of telling or speculating without .  

I ve seen a few knockoffs that folks were passing off as legit Gibsons.       Then again deception usually wins with nieve people desperate to get a deal. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The serial number font looks sketchy. 

Font is off. Also "Made in USA" is stamped higher than other 2000 LPs. Plus, there should be finish over the serial #. The tuners aren't stamped Klunson or Gibson Deluxe. From looking around, 2000 Pauls came with Grovers, anyhow. Sadly, another vote for a fake.

Edit. I reread the original post. He said it was a reissue. That raises more red flags. Reissue #s  were ink stamped  and no "Made in the USA".

Edited by gearbasher