Gibson Brands Forums

Let's Talk Slides.

Murph

I never dabbled into slides a lot until several years ago I got a resonator.

It's a cheap Fender import but sounds great and I love the sound of a resonator.

As for guitar slides, I've had a few chrome ones I didn't like, but the Dunlop Pyrex 202 has been with me for many years.

Until I dropped it and broke it the other day. The 202 is VERY thin.

The Corisidin bottle fits too loose. It's a sloppy feel for me, although I've made it work until my order came in.

I also got a thicker/shorter one (along with the 202) and I think I like it better. 212 maybe?

Anybody use the ebony ones? What's your favorites?

I really cannot help you much because I always preferred playing with bottlenecks.  I generally used whatever medicine bottles I could find in the local junk stores or made my own which was easy enough to do.  For me it came down to size and weight.   While I still own a Supro Comet Double neck lap stee, I do not play slide on my acoustics like I used to so do not have a clue as to what new fangled stuff is available.  But I still keep a bunch of my old bottlenecks in my Gunslinger cigar box just in case the feeling comes upon me.

4 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Shubb bullnose and vintage Waverly heavy bar for lap, and Peaceland ring for upright.  Glass isn't 'growly' enough for me.

LCPqFNs.jpg

While I have a couple of old Stevens and such bar slides for lap steel, I really took to an old ceramic bullet nose slide which came as case candy with some guitar.  Have you ever tried one of those Will Ray Stealth slides?  I found myself really liking them.

Edited by zombywoof

Here's a Houston local guitar hero explaining and demonstrating the Jet Slide, a quite unique take on such devices.  

The Mighty Orq & the Jet Slide

And Jet Slides website if you're interested......

Jet Slide

(you can thank me later)

(....and furthermore........I just can't pass up the opportunity to turn you folks on to Orq, an outstanding guitarist and vocalist on the Houston scene.  This is a video of a live performance in Germany with his most excellent compadres in mayhem.......Falling Down)

Edited by Buc McMaster

5 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Blue slide in photo is my Diamond Bottlenecks "Blue Diamond"- main one!

Here it is in action on my 1952 Gibson LG1:

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777

Over the years I’ve tried all those & then some.. Way back when I bought a big Brass Slide like the one on the left in your Picture.. It’s the only Slide I like the Sound of on both Electric & Acoustic Guitars… 

Man, I'd never seen the Black Mountain (ring), or the Jetslide.

I must say I'm intrigued by both, but the Shubb also has me wondering again. I'd seen it before, but never played one.

I hate that nearly all of the videos/samples are with distorted (and poorly I might add) electric guitars.

I haven't had much luck with slide, but I keep trying.  Just use a glass tube over the pinky.  Use a small cheap acoustic I bought off my grandniece for $5.00.  She got it at a thrift shop for $2.00, so she was happy with the sale.  [wink]

Always called it "bottleneck" until about 15 years ago.  Back in the "day" some used the term "fretting".  At least that's how it was referred to in the liner notes of Bob Dylan's debut album.  He plays a crude slide on this tune.   You'll hear that obviously, Johnny Winter had  nothing to worry about.  [biggrin]

Whitefang

9 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Blue cobalt from England ? 
Looks like mine from Ian McWee at Diamond  Bottlenecks.    Great selection.  Custom made.  Great service.   His green glass Mateus style ones great heavy glass too 
http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/

Ian has made various slides for me over the years-I use my Blue Cobalt all the time, sensational slide!! 

I think it is pricey, and it is easy to use. You can’t slide the entire board though. It’s nice for lead work. To be honest I played with it for two weeks, and now my son has it; it was challenging and I didn’t stick with it.

For me slide is very hard. It’s both hands, and it take work. Derek Trucks makes it look easy, but it’s anything but that. For me harmonica is like that too.

my advice? Maybe get a $8 slide at first and crush you tube looking for lessons. If you stick with it and make progress, get the BMS.

2 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I think it is pricey, and it is easy to use. You can’t slide the entire board though. It’s nice for lead work. 

I made one out of copper the day you posted this. Just a short piece of copper tubing from a hardware store (was doing other projects that day).

The shortness freaked me out, and I dismissed it quickly.

While it would surely work with single notes, my time spent with the resonator and regular slides made it un-usable for me.

Justin Johnson could make a swine harp sound good.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:25 AM, Salfromchatham said:

I think it is pricey, and it is easy to use. You can’t slide the entire board though. It’s nice for lead work. To be honest I played with it for two weeks, and now my son has it; it was challenging and I didn’t stick with it.

For me slide is very hard. It’s both hands, and it take work. Derek Trucks makes it look easy, but it’s anything but that. For me harmonica is like that too.

my advice? Maybe get a $8 slide at first and crush you tube looking for lessons. If you stick with it and make progress, get the BMS.

I have played slide fairly successfully using a pinky slide , leaves three fretting fingers.  I was thinking this might be even more comfortable/versatile. .  I don't  often slide more than two or three strings at a time.   Maybe Ill give it a shot. Thanks!

On 10/28/2022 at 1:15 PM, Murph said:

I think thicker glass sounds better than thin glass.

Maybe it's all in my head?

I absolutely agree-I used a thin glass slide for some years and the thick blue glass Diamond Bottlenecks slide I use now absolutely sings in comparison. Much more sustain and articulation. Not sure what the physics are behind it, but it definitely sounds better!