Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Jeff Beck last night.

Tman

What can I say, it was Jeff Beck. Johnny Depp was the singer. My wife loved that part and he did a good job. Jeff played 2 Strats, both white and one and upside down Hendrix version that he played a few songs on including Little Wing. At one point my wife said, "Wow I didn't think you could make a guitar sound like that, like strings in an orchestra". I said Yep, he can. Played Cause We've Ended as Lovers and You Know You Know.

If you get a chance go and see him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jedzep said:

Johnny Depp, huh?  Boy, what a world! 

Jeff Beck is someone whose songs never grabbed me.  Like Zappa, I know they're masterful players, but it was more work than fun to listen.

I can see that. I listened to Blow by Blow when it came out when I was a teenager. Maybe back then I really wanted to like it even though it wasn't rock like I was listening to at the time. I listened so many times it became iconic to me. Absolutely love it. Other than that just watching him play was so fantastic. Youngish woman playing drums and bass (not Tal).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

How long was his set?  I saw him years ago and it was 60 minutes, encore, bye.

That's about right. One thing about the venue is that they serve alcohol now (my wife and I abstained for 3 weeks until last night). One bad thing about alcohol is I get drunk, sometimes too much so, like last night, and some of the details from the later part of the show became fuzzy.

1 hour ago, rct said:

See him while the earth has him, for there is and will be only one of him.

rct

Agree. His hair was jet black and he still has a lot of it. I told my wife that he has to be pushing 80. I just looked it up, 78. Looks great.

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I saw Jeff a while back.  It was just insane.  He's on a different level from everyone else.  The guitar world still hasn't caught up to his technique.  

Exactly. My wife's comment underscored that

10 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Anyone who has seen him live - did he do a "mic drop" with the guitar?    He was in the middle of this solo towards the end of his set and at that point, it's just Jeff and his strat.   He's laying it down and in mid riff, takes the strap off, holds the guitar out while sustaining a note and drops it on the stage.    😲

Fender probably has a new one sent prior to each gig so he can drop a guitar on stage. 

I've only always thought of Jeff Beck as an OK guitarist, but nothing much out of the ordinary.  Best I can say he did always have his own style,  and no other influence could be heard in it.  And he did do some good stuff with others outside of his assumed genre.  Like what he did with Stanley Clarke,  Jan Hammer and others.

17 hours ago, Tman said:

Played Cause We've Ended as Lovers and You Know You Know.

Not familiar with all of Beck's  repertoire.  Was that a "cover" of........  ?

Oh, never mind.  I found it.  [wink]  The old Mahavishnu tune. 

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I've only always thought of Jeff Beck as an OK guitarist, but nothing much out of the ordinary.  Best I can say he did always have his own style,  and no other influence could be heard in it.  And he did do some good stuff with others outside of his assumed genre.  Like what he did with Stanley Clarke,  Jan Hammer and others.

Whitefang

Ended As Lovers is a Stevie Wonder tune. The other one I am not sure of.

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Thats one of the reasons I think he is so good.. He has made a whole career of doing his own thing..  Never wanted to be or was a pop star (apart from in his early career when he was convinced to do Hi Ho Silver Lining).... He is unique and survived an industry which is notoriously hard to stay in... Also remember, this is the man that turned down the Rolling Stones to do his own thing.

The one single gig that I have seen video of which totally made me a fan was the Live at Ronnie Scotts..  It is a master class in guitar..  His playing is so nuanced, full of little fills and strange sounds...  I have seen him twice live..  He really is something else.

Honestly..  Give this two or three tunes to get in to it, up to the bass solo which is worth it in itself...  Just incredible top class playing from the whole band. They take you on a journey.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Fender probably has a new one sent prior to each gig so he can drop a guitar on stage. 

Thought that was Prince after his blistering Solo on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” on the Tribute To George Concert…

Edited by Larsongs

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Here ya go....

Beck does shoot more life into it.  [wink]

Whitefang

At least the doesn't have the cliche fusion moog synth on it where the player is over using the pitch bender. I need to go back and check out M O first two albums.

That player was Jan Hammer.  Their second LP("Birds Of Fire")  And there really wasn't a Moog used in the first.  But Jan does like that bender.  Luckily he didn't always overuse it.   "Birds Of Fire" is a pretty good second effort for them.  Oddly, I found it used as background music on a dollar store cassette tape of those (supposedly) spooky Halloween sounds I bought for the Hell of it.  [wink]

Whitefang

Here is what I found for the set list he played.   Seems correct even with my deficient memory.
(Davy Spillane cover)
(Brian Wilson cover)
(John Lennon cover)
(Dennis Wilson cover)
(Syreeta cover)
Interesting: Syreeta was married to Stevie W. Interesting note about Cause We've Ended as Lovers: This song, dedicated to guitarist Roy Buchanan, was composed by longtime friend Stevie Wonder as an apology to Jeff for releasing "Superstition" first. This is what Beck is referring to in the liner notes on the back of the album when he says, "thanks to Stevie."
(Marvin Gaye cover)
(Killing Joke cover)
(The Beatles cover)
  • Like 1