Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard “conditioner”

Dub-T-123

18 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I also use Old English Lemon Oil. I still have 99% of the bottle I bought about 20 years ago. But, after reading this, I questioned my choice. Then I found This:

6554-2.jpg

It seems to be about the same as Old English.

I’ve been using that for years.. I buy the System 65 Kit which comes with 65 Lemon Oil, String Cleaner & Guitar Polish.. The latter two I don’t use too often..

I live in the dry Desert.. Summers 100+ degrees.. Wood dries in that environment.. I don’t change Strings very often. So, I use the Lemon Oil on the Fretboard every String change.. Also, Graphite, usually from a Pencil, in the Nut Slots which I believe helps Tuning & staying in Tune…

11 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve been using that for years.. I buy the System 65 Kit which comes with 65 Lemon Oil, String Cleaner & Guitar Polish.. The latter two I don’t use too often..

I live in the dry Desert.. Summers 100+ degrees.. Wood dries in that environment.. I don’t change Strings very often. So, I use the Lemon Oil on the Fretboard every String change.. Also, Graphite, usually from a Pencil, in the Nut Slots which I believe helps Tuning & staying in Tune…

I never heard of the pencil in the nut slots thing.  I'll have to give it a try.

And I forgot to mention that before I treat the fret board with the lemon oil I give it a good going over with wood cleaner.  

Whitefang

44 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I never heard of the pencil in the nut slots thing.  I'll have to give it a try.

And I forgot to mention that before I treat the fret board with the lemon oil I give it a good going over with wood cleaner.  

Whitefang

I use an X-Acto knife & scrape Graphite off a Pencil into the Nut slots..

What kind of Wood Cleaner do you use?

20 hours ago, jdgm said:

I have a small bottle of thin camera oil which I've had since the 1970s and still isn't finished yet.  I bought a bottle of sewing machine oil for when it's gone.   Once a year, maybe.

Thin cameras were popular back then! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Old English is "Medium Hydrotreated Petroleum Distillates" - whatever that is -

j9RtyxD.png

Dunlop 65 is mineral oil -

GFcnAwS.png

Lets break it down - Medium Hydrotreated Petroleum Distillates

Medium means not big or small but in the middle.

Hydro is water.

Treated is self explanatory as they put something in it.

Petroleum is a crude oil, and can be used to make gas and diesel fuel.

Distillates means it was made by distilling. I guess like what the moonshiners do.

So there you have it, all that is Dunlop #65. Put that on your fretboard and like it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Thanks for the input everyone. I’m a little overwhelmed with the amount of responses here but I’m pretty sure fret doctor was the one I was thinking of. I’m gonna grab a bottle of that

Also I know it isn’t really necessary to put anything on the fretboard but I like the look of oiled rosewood. Just an aesthetic thing for me

10 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I once loaned my Guild D-55 to my brother-in-law for a gig. I think he used beer as a fretboard conditioner. The thing stunk of beer for months after I got it back.

I bought a 00-28, and the guy said he was the original owner, it came from a non-smoking house and he had not smoked in over 15 years. The guitar was a 2021, and smelled like a dirty dive bar ashtray.

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I bought a 00-28, and the guy said he was the original owner, it came from a non-smoking house and he had not smoked in over 15 years. The guitar was a 2021, and smelled like a dirty dive bar ashtray.

Guy's  teenage son probably smoked while  playing his guitar, while Dad was at work.   Dad had Covid and couldn't smell it. 

Ever notice how, at Theme Parks - where they often have unfinished hardwood railings for the lines of people queuing up to get into the ride - those handrails are smooth, glossy, and look like  fine furniture - from all the millions of hands that have hand rubbed popcorn oil, Hot dog mustard, spilled beer and fecal matter into them?   Probably cigarette smoke too.   One wonders if there is anything that would actually harm a fretboard?   

23 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Guy's  teenage son probably smoked while  playing his guitar, while Dad was at work.   Dad had Covid and couldn't smell it. 

Ever notice how, at Theme Parks - where they often have unfinished hardwood railings for the lines of people queuing up to get into the ride - those handrails are smooth, glossy, and look like  fine furniture - from all the millions of hands that have hand rubbed popcorn oil, Hot dog mustard, spilled beer and fecal matter into them?   Probably cigarette smoke too.   One wonders if there is anything that would actually harm a fretboard?   

Termites

On 12/9/2022 at 3:42 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Lets break it down - Medium Hydrotreated Petroleum Distillates

Medium means not big or small but in the middle.

Hydro is water.

Treated is self explanatory as they put something in it.

Petroleum is a crude oil, and can be used to make gas and diesel fuel.

Distillates means it was made by distilling. I guess like what the moonshiners do.

So there you have it, all that is Dunlop #65. Put that on your fretboard and like it.

The MSDS for the Old English is like 8 pages long, with emergency instructions for everything from touching it to breathing it.  It has a flashpoint, lol.  I think you have to have one of those diamond shaped hazard signs on your belt just to use it.  

People take mineral oil for some kind of digestive probs, so it can't be all that hazardous.  😄

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

The MSDS for the Old English is like 8 pages long, with emergency instructions for everything from touching it to breathing it.  It has a flashpoint, lol.  I think you have to have one of those diamond shaped hazard signs on your belt just to use it.  

People take mineral oil for some kind of digestive probs, so it can't be all that hazardous.  😄

I know that you put mineral oil on wooden  cutting boards. I’ll bet water has one. An MSDS that is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

In another forum some years back when this topic came up some suggested Almond oil.  I'd give it a try but have yet to find it anywhere.  Any ideas?

Whitefang

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Solutions-Sweet-Almond-16-Ounce/dp/B0019LVFSU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=29PT4LAMGL4GC&keywords=almond+oil&qid=1671027141&sprefix=almond+oil+%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-5

AMAZON:   4.7 stars,  over 73,000 reviews,  $13, Same Day Delivery...  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Thanks for the information anyway, but I rarely go running to online when I can't find something in any stores around here.  Unless it's something REALLY important I need(or want).  Like they say....

"The search makes the finding more triumphant".  Or some such crap. [wink]  Like that Christmas song I mentioned somewhere....

Whitefang