Gibson Brands Forums

Dave F

Congratulations. I agree with others here that a sunburst on a mahogany top looks beautiful - and 'serious' for some reason (or is that just 'seriously beautiful'`? But I digress...)

I suspect that a hog top might take a bit more breaking in - or at least warming up each session - to really show its voice. We all look forward to your thoughts in comparison to the stock L-00 sound. My guess at this stage is that it may be similar to Koa guitars. More mellow and pretty with good sustain. In any case, enquiring minds wish to know...

5 hours ago, Old Neil said:

Congratulations. I agree with others here that a sunburst on a mahogany top looks beautiful - and 'serious' for some reason (or is that just 'seriously beautiful'`? But I digress...)

I suspect that a hog top might take a bit more breaking in - or at least warming up each session - to really show its voice. We all look forward to your thoughts in comparison to the stock L-00 sound. My guess at this stage is that it may be similar to Koa guitars. More mellow and pretty with good sustain. In any case, enquiring minds wish to know...

When I get time, I'm going to do a good comparison to the following -

Gibson L00 '32 RI - spruce/hog

Zeiler L00 - spruce/hog

Gibson L00 aged top- spruce/rw

Gibson L00 Nick Lucas - spruce/rw

Gibson '42 LG1 - hog/hog 

Congrats ^ may you share some fun

~ a kool little deer. . 

I guess they had a late 20s/early 30s 00 sized guitar in mind when they built that guitar.  The only old mahogany top Gibson I have is a 42 LG-1 -- I do have several old 0-17 and 00-17s.  The th old LG-1 is cool for sure.  Here is an example.

Best,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I guess they had a late 20s/early 30s 00 sized guitar in mind when they built that guitar.  The only old mahogany top Gibson I have is a 42 LG-1 -- I do have several old 0-17 and 00-17s.  The th old LG-1 is cool for sure.  Here is an example.

Best,

-Tom

Tom, that's a remarkably articulate little guitar!

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

Tom, that's a remarkably articulate little guitar!

Hi Nick,

Yea.  It has its own lovely niche.  I love the way it articulates and separates on alternating thumb folk and gospel stuff.  The Martin mahogany has a bit fuller sound -- lovely too, but fo me subjectively in this area the LG-1 wins.

Happy new year,

=Tom 

Edited by tpbiii