Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson Sj45 (Southern Jumbo)

Rambler

Hi, all.  Haven't come around this way in a spell, but Ive got some some news.   Last week, I picked up a 1991 SJ-45.    It's a beaut.    Basicly a 43-era Southern Jumbo reissue with a fw non-period oddities, notably a block logo and keystone pegs.   This baby is clear  and balanced for fingerstyle but has enough boom to pick.  It has some battle scars, but so what.   I'm one happy camper. 

It's the Gibson Ive been hunting for.    RIngier than an AJ, more lively than a  J45 std,  beefier mids than the Fullers  J35 1937 that I though would be it.   There was an interlude with a 000-18 , nice one, adi top.  Really really nice box and compact, but didnt have the sounds I wanted to hear (its on the block if anyone cares to inquire).  Im locked and laoded now.   Good picking, all.  R 

IMG-2962.jpg

IMG-2964.jpg

Edited by Rambler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations 💥 it's one totally kool looking acoustic.

Noticed that it's a down-belly bridge, but some of them were back in the 40s, or am I wrong. 

Glad you found your G-soulmate - such a priceless & irreplaceable feeling. May you have lots of serious fun together.

20 minutes ago, Dave F said:

my 2020  ‘42 SJ Banner has the belly down

42 SJ Banner

Ouh yes, , , and the cut through saddle.  What a trio. It's a wall of burst'n'slopes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I like your new avatar too ^ 

, , , , , all in all I'm just in 1 heck of a good mood. . .                                                                                                                                                                                             

Congrats!! At some point, early-mid ‘90s Bozeman boxes will absolutely explode on the vintage market. Some of the most consistently great guitars I’ve ever played. My ‘90 Hummingbird was the best bird I’ve ever played, and my ‘95 Dove is astonishing. I’ve played a 1990 sycamore SJ200 that was just out of the park brilliant and I very much enjoyed my ‘94 L-00 also. I bet this one is an absolute belter. Enjoy!

20 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Congratulations 💥 it's one totally kool looking acoustic.

Noticed that it's a down-belly bridge, but some of them were back in the 40s, or am I wrong. 

Glad you found your G-soulmate - such a priceless & irreplaceable feeling. May you have lots of serious fun together.

Belly-down  (Martin style ) bridge was very common on early SJs.  It was fairly characteristic. Aside from the modern logo, that SJ is a reasonably accurate  copy of a pre-1947 or so SJ. Unbound fretboard, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

You can add 20 frets to the non-period oddities.

I have to admit though the idea behind an SJ45 totally eludes me.  But those early-1990s CS guitars  were built by some of the best talent on the face of the planet.

My miscount on the frets.

My Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue, on the other hand, is accurate except for the bound fretboard.  I guess if you want it completely accurate, you have to buy vintage.

5 hours ago, Jinder said:

Congrats!! At some point, early-mid ‘90s Bozeman boxes will absolutely explode on the vintage market. Some of the most consistently great guitars I’ve ever played. My ‘90 Hummingbird was the best bird I’ve ever played, and my ‘95 Dove is astonishing. I’ve played a 1990 sycamore SJ200 that was just out of the park brilliant and I very much enjoyed my ‘94 L-00 also. I bet this one is an absolute belter. Enjoy!

Perhaps it’s that they are beginning to age in now but I have to say my 90’s HB is just everything I wanted in one of those. It will stay in the collection for sure.

Jinder Nick and Sal-- good to hear from you all and thanks for the kind words.   Ive  read elsewhere that early Bozeman flattops were to be admired.  Ths one does not disappoint! Ive been playing some Lester Flatt sytle thumb rhythm on this thing--it can purr or howl dpending on how much I lean into it. 

It's been a long hunt butI feel like Ive come home. 

13 hours ago, j45nick said:

My miscount on the frets.

My Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue, on the other hand, is accurate except for the bound fretboard.  I guess if you want it completely accurate, you have to buy vintage.

'43 would be a convenient year to go with because you can use either a rosewood or mahogany body and be "accurate".  Then again, truss rods would also be optional.   Maybe the only way to get a good copy of a Banner would be to go with what at best mostly semi-skilled workers and tell them to ignore such niceties as a final sanding of the braces.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A year down the line, and well, I started going to bluegrass jams and found that what tpbiii says is true, a slope js dont cut it for in your face bluegrass.  About 10 months ago I swamped my 000 for an HD28v, the first decent RW dread that's come my way. It's a stunner.  I hardly ever paly the SJ anymore, so Im putting it up for grabs.  If you contact me through CL, mention you are from the Gibson forum.  Best, Rambler. 

13 hours ago, Rambler said:

A year down the line, and well, I started going to bluegrass jams and found that what tpbiii says is true, a slope js dont cut it for in your face bluegrass.  About 10 months ago I swamped my 000 for an HD28v, the first decent RW dread that's come my way. It's a stunner.  I hardly ever paly the SJ anymore, so Im putting it up for grabs.  If you contact me through CL, mention you are from the Gibson forum.  Best, Rambler. 

SJs are pretty popular.   You shouldnt have any issues moving that along. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Rambler said:

Turned to the Dark Side I see. I had a HD-28V, and a D-28, and 2 D-35’s, and a D-41, and 2 D-18’s. I love a big booming dread, but got tired of slumping my arm so far over to strum. I have a 000-28 and 000-18. The 28 is my fav.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper