Gibson Brands Forums

Dodge Brothers / Henry Ford

Murph

I miss the good old days - when there were only Fords, Chevies and Chrysler (Plymouth/Dodge) vehicles on the road and they only had a dozen models each - so you could tell what people were driving.  Today -  I can't tell a Kia from a Mercedes. They all look the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I miss the good old days - when there were only Fords, Chevies and Chrysler (Plymouth/Dodge) vehicles on the road and they only had a dozen models each - so you could tell what people were driving.  Today -  I can't tell a Kia from a Mercedes. They all look the same. 

Best of all was the year-model change..... when the 1956 Chevy came out....we all looked to see the differences between it and the '55....and did the same for the '57 vs '56....and so on.....

• Like 1

Great post!     I am (was) truly a 'car-guy'....worked in the automotive field for over 53 years.

I toured the Ford Plant (Milpitas, CA) and the GM Plant (Fremont, CA).  

Worked for Peterbilt Motors (Newark, Ca), and of course GILLIG Bus (Hayward & Livermore, CA).

My dad was a Mopar guy...but I was always a GM guy...until GM became the "New GM" and screwed it's common stock holders out of EVERYTHING....

Now a Ford guy....but I don't drive all that much, and have no 'toy' cars anymore.

• Thanks 1

I worked for Ford & I worked for Chevrolet in my early years.. I’ve always liked both.. I’ve owned both over the years.. Currently, I own a 2022 Chev Silverado Crew Cab & it’s a great Truck..

I like the new F-150’s & would definitely consider one next time…

20 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I worked for Ford & I worked for Chevrolet in my early years.. I’ve always liked both.. I’ve owned both over the years.. Currently, I own a 2022 Chev Silverado Crew Cab & it’s a great Truck..

I like the new F-150’s & would definitely consider one next time…

When I was working I only bought Fords for my guys.  Was Rangers until they quit making them for the US, then Ford F-150's.   It's a good truck.

Had one rear-ended...truck was nearly new..... wasn't a bad hit, but it bent the aluminum frame....so it got scrapped.  

The guy's insurance paid for me to by the guy a brand new truck.  I don't know what they did with the original F-150... looked almost perfect from outside.

Like Murph, I was a Mopar guy when younger.  But not being a mechanic I got tired of all the costly "differences" they supposedly contained.  But those problems were never engine related.   My first "real" car was a '65 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 383 sporting a 4 bbl. carb.  Tuned just right, that thing was a bear.  AND a perfectly sized back seat.  [wink]  Problems?

The radio never worked right.   When the wiper motor crapped out it needed replacing and that meant contorting in order to install it under the dash. and be careful you don't pinch an airline that controls the vents for window defroster or cabin heater.  I drove an entire winter having to use my ice scraper in order to clear my windshield on the inside.  But I loved that car.  I'm hoping the idiot that ran a light and totaled it is burning in his own special corner in Hell.

Not getting all that much for it from insurance, and not exactly rolling in scratch, I replaced it with a '64 Dodge Dart with a "slant 6".  And I'll never say anything bad about those slant sixes.  They were able to take any punishment you could put them through.   In fact, I got rid of it because the differential went bad.  And the only Mopar vehicle I owned that didn't give me constant wheel cylinder problems.  But, being a GM employee and now retiree that always got and still gets the discount,  I've owned GM cars for the last 48 years.

Whitefang

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

My dad was a Mopar guy...

My Dad was a Ford guy. Whenever we'd be on the highway and he saw a broken down Chevy on the side of the road he'd say.

"Look at that Chevy. Just sitting there. Like a rock."

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Murph said:

My Dad was a Ford guy. Whenever we'd be on the highway and he saw a broken down Chevy on the side of the road he'd say.

My dad was a 'shade-tree mechanic'.... so his cars always 'ran'....but they weren't always 'fixed'.

While I worked on the assembly line at Peterbilt for about a year...(then drafted for 2 years....then back to the assembly line for like 6 months....then went into management)...  my automotive skills (if you want to call them that) came from what my dad taught me, and what I observed on the assembly line at Peterbilt, MACK & GILLIG.

My real 'education' came from owning 3 Rolls Royces and a Jaguar....spent EVERY evening in the garage with them.

Changed clutches, rear ends, even rebuilt an engine in my garage, (with help).

Edited by DanvillRob

I threatened to buy a new pickup when I retired. My government truck was a 2016 Ram and I liked it a lot, so that floated to the top. Eight months later, still no truck. I just can’t justify spending $50,000 or more for something on wheels. I have a 1990 Ford F-150 4x4 I bought in 2013 for $1300 exclusively to plow the yard. Plates ran out in 2005. Original gray paint with typical Ford horrendously peeling clearcoat. 300 6 cyl with 5 speed on the floor, lock out hubs, regular cab, 8 foot box, and you don’t need a ladder to get into it. I’ve made the decision to go through it (rockers, floor, brakes, exhaust, whatever else it needs). We’ve jokingly thrown around the $10,000 number but since most of the work will be done by me or my son in law, I don’t see how I can spend that much. Not going to paint it. So  $10,000 gets me what I want, vs $50,000 for something I need to take to the dealership to have the transmission fluid level checked. 

Speaking of Dodges, in 1967 a friend and I found a carcass of a car in a ravine in the woods behind my parents house. It’s still there. Not much left.  Frame, fenders, bits and pieces, rear differential complete with one wooden spoked wheel. I took some pics about 15 years ago and through Google determined it to be a 1914 or 1915 Dodge. I’ve toyed with pulling it out for lawn art but I procrastinate. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

One of my automotive instructors was not a Chevy fan. Whenever someone said "Chevrolet" he'd say, "Yep, shivers on the road and lays in the garage."

Always been a Mopar guy, started with a '75 Dart with a slant six, an '86 Ram 250, then eventually a 2008 Ram, and currently a 2015 Ram. Of course there was a variety of other makes in the between years.

That said I absolutely adore my '63 Ford "time machine". I love the simplicity of it, straight six three on the tree, unsynchronized first gear rock crusher transmission. It's a blast driving in traffic with vehicles barely five years old and this 60 year old car is keeping up and getting stuff done.

20200412_164238

• Thanks 1

My dad was a Ford guy but I eventually overcame the handicap! I had a couple1962 Ford Thunderbirds then a 1966 Olds Toronado then finally it's been Dodge trucks and cars for the last 45 years. From a 1937 Dodge 1/2T to a 1969 Dodge W300, with 60 some trucks in between.

Thanks "Power Wagon" John

Thanks for posting that video, Murph!!

I myself just love well-made, solidly-build vehicles.

The brand never mattered much to me, though I must confess, I never found myself owning a Chrysler product.
Can't say why exactly.
I was always a fan of the Dodge Challengers back in the day.

Upon reflection now;

The cars I grew up with, and did my driver's training in:
1963 Chevrolet Nomad Wagon
1965 Chevrolet Corvair
1969 Ford Maverick
1971 Chevrolet van (motocross motorcycle-hauling vehicle)
1974 Mercury Capri II Ghia

These are the vehicles that I have actually owned and enjoyed in my adult lifetime.  (&&&& = purchased brand new)
1974 Ford Pinto
1975 Oldsmobile Omega
1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon
1984 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1988 Buick Regal
1982 Mercedes 500 (German specs, my ex-wife's car while in Germany)
1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (the 1st wife got it in the divorce)
1992 Mercury Capri (bought it for my daughter)
1994 GMC Sierra SL pickup truck
1994 Ford Ranger pickup truck
1999 Mazda Miata (bought it for my current wife when we got married)
2003 Subaru Baja Sport
2006 Audi TT rag-top
(my wife's next car)
2000 BMW Z3 rag-top (the used car she drives now, after she wrecked the Audi)
2019 Ford Transit Connect cargo van (my daily driver now)

I'm gonna shut up now.

😔

55 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Thanks for posting that video, Murph!!

I myself just love well-made, solidly-build vehicles.

The brand never mattered much to me, though I must confess, I never found myself owning a Chrysler product.
Can't say why exactly.
I was always a fan of the Dodge Challengers back in the day.

Upon reflection now;

The cars I grew up with, and did my driver's training in:
1963 Chevrolet Nomad Wagon
1965 Chevrolet Corvair
1969 Ford Maverick
1971 Chevrolet van (motocross motorcycle-hauling vehicle)
1974 Mercury Capri II Ghia

These are the vehicles that I have actually owned and enjoyed in my adult lifetime.  (&&&& = purchased brand new)
1974 Ford Pinto
1975 Oldsmobile Omega
1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon
1984 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1988 Buick Regal
1982 Mercedes 500 (German specs, my ex-wife's car while in Germany)
1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (the 1st wife got it in the divorce)
1992 Mercury Capri (bought it for my daughter)
1994 GMC Sierra SL pickup truck
1994 Ford Ranger pickup truck
1999 Mazda Miata (bought it for my current wife when we got married)
2003 Subaru Baja Sport
2006 Audi TT rag-top
(my wife's next car)
2000 BMW Z3 rag-top (the used car she drives now, after she wrecked the Audi)
2019 Ford Transit Connect cargo van (my daily driver now)

I'm gonna shut up now.

😔

I suspect you've owned more vehicles than I have..... but let me think...

1951 Cadillac

1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88

1964 Ford Econoline (Band Truck)

1968 Volkswagen

1957 Volkswagen

1972 Datsun Pickup

1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1954 Rolls Royce

1973 Camaro

1976 Cadillac Seville

1952 Rolls Royce

1976 Chevrolet Van

1958 Rolls Royce

1988 GMC Van

1972 Jaguar XJ-S

1974 Mercedes 450-SL

2004 Honda CR-V  (Still Have)

2003 Winnebago Class A Motor Home   (Still Have)

2004 Ford Ranger   (Still Have)

If there were others, I don't recall them.

• Like 1

It would take me a while to remember the list of  my Cars & Trucks over the years..

I remember my first was a 1952 Ford.. $72.00.. Ugly Tan & Brown.. Drove the heck out of it then the Engine blew up.. Next a 57 Ford.. Yellow, Black Tuck n Roll, Hurst Floor Shift, Dual Holleys & Chrome Rims.. I blew the Trans racing.. But, I wish I could buy that one back..  Next a 55 Chevy that I wish I’d kept too… The list is long… I’ll think about it.. Fords, Chevys, Jeeps, Cadillacs, Mercedes, Lexus, Corvette & others..

I almost bought a Challenger in 69.. I just didn’t have the cash on me & it sold.. I’d still like one of those but the prices are too crazy… 

I still have my Black 2005 Corvette.. I ordered it new, it’s always been Garage kept & has 23,000 miles on it.. In like new condition… Great Car. Never had any issues….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Larsongs said:

I almost bought a Challenger in 69.. I just didn’t have the cash on me & it sold.. I’d still like one of those but the prices are too crazy… 

What's a '69 Challenger worth today?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I was negotiating on a  1965 Porsche 356 Coupe.... was in fair condition....this was probably in 1972 or so..... I offered $1200..... guy wanted $1300....so I walked.....STUPID!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

Always been a Mopar guy, started with a '75 Dart with a slant six, an '86 Ram 250, then eventually a 2008 Ram, and currently a 2015 Ram. Of course there was a variety of other makes in the between years.

That said I absolutely adore my '63 Ford "time machine". I love the simplicity of it, straight six three on the tree, unsynchronized first gear rock crusher transmission. It's a blast driving in traffic with vehicles barely five years old and this 60 year old car is keeping up and getting stuff done.

20200412_164238

Reminded me.  My first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon.  Bought it in '69.  Had it for a month, but it ran only for a week.  Cost me $60.00.  When it crapped out, my brother( a fairly good mechanic) determined it was  the timing chain needed replacing.  He didn't have the tools or space available to do the job, and every place I asked gave me prices that were up to three times what I paid for the turd.   Called the junkyard which gave me $50 and took it off my hands.  

Looked like this one.... only black.

16192810-1960-ford-falcon-std.jpg

Whitefang

• Like 1

Here’s my first car. I bought it from one of my older brothers in ‘68. A 1956 Ford Fairlane. My oldest brother is a Chevy guy. The next brother is a Mopar guy. My dad was a Chrysler guy. I’ve had quite a few other brands over the years but tend to get more Fords  I currently drive a Ranger  

52859124683_4c7dac47f6_b.jpg

• Like 1

I had heard of the Dodge Brothers and their starting of Dodge Motor, but never heard the connection to Ford prior to that.

My Dad was a Plymouth guy as I was growing up.  He had a '48 Plymouth 2 door coupe until '58 when he got a four door hardtop Belvedere.  Then about '62 or '63 he moved up to Chryslers.  He bought my Mom a Barracuda in '66 which I drove a lot in high school.  But my first car was a Pontiac and I owned a lot of them through the years until they stopped making them.  I think the last one I had was in about 2005 or '06 a G6-GT 2-door coupe with some V-6 in it.  Comfortable car, not too big, and handled well.

There was an excellent Documentary on the History channel a few years ago. I think it was called “The Men That Built America” or something like that.. One segment was about the History of American Automobiles.. It reruns every once in a while.. Very good watch!

Everything from Rockefeller refining Gasoline, Ford & all the other Manufacturers.. There was a segment about the Dodge brothers working for Ford.. Very interesting..

14 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

We never had any Mopar brands here, 

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep is now owned by Stellantis who also own Alfa.

My wife is considering the new Dodge Hornet, which is actually a re-badged Alfa Tonale with a quicker turbo.

Maybe you'll start seeing more.