Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Foods Lost

Steven Tari

When I was a kid. I used to love to visit my Grandmother And great Aunt. They were Magyars or Hungarians. The Hungarian Goulash and Chicken Paprikash made me a happy kid. Also the stuffed cabbage. Plus you never left the table with out almost busting and burping. The foods were fantastic.:-

Then I would go and visit my other grandmother. They were North Carolina Tobacco share cropers. I had Ox Tail,all kinds of greens, Homemade corn bread, everything off the pig Pickeled, Bar-B-Qued, Peppered, Smoked and sometimes Jerked. Fresh rabbit,Catfish with Hush Puppies,Squirrel Stew, and Bar-B -Qued Raccoon. Taters Done in about 100 different ways,( I used to love her Tater Pancakes) with Gravy for everything.=P~

Bad thing about it most of this cooken was lost when they passed. But sometimes I get a wiff of a smell that sends my mouth into a tizzey remembering a taste that I used to love.

So you have any foods you used to love but is gone to you?

Most of the foods I love I've learned how to cook myself - I enjoy cooking at times.

However' date=' I've never learned how to make my mom's cornbread. It's southern style cornbread (not that sweet boxed stuff).[/quote'] I'm trying that now. My Uncle has given me some old hungarian recipies.

Feel free to pass along a good Hungarian Goulash receipe.

I may go to Hungary this fall by the way.

You got it. I'll post it as a new thread. Maybe we'll some new recipies for the Index box.

I'd love to do that.I understand my sir name goes back to the 13th centery. I was named after the King of Hungaria. He was made a saint. Steven Means king.

I remember my Great Aunt writing to family there when the Iron Curtin was still there. All the letters were Cut up by the censers. I was living in Germany when the Russians starting building the Berlin Wall. Things sure have changed in the world since then.

My mother is getting up there in years - she's not all that old and in great health - but I've slowly been getting some recipes from her. The funny thing is, a lot of them she got off the labels of cans and packages although she sometimes varies a them a bit (which generally means more garlic and/or onions - she's a spice mouth!).

Most of my favorites are her soups:

chicken soup - With pieces of potato - she got that from my grandmother and it makes all the difference.

pasta fagioli - Recently got this one and my girlfriend LOVES it so she makes it pretty often. Great stuff and very healthy!

minestre - Soup made with a beef stock, ground beef, crushed tomato, garlic, onion and spinach served with pasta. Loved it since I was a kid and still do.

Of course, all of the above require being topped with grated pecorino-romano cheese (Landolfi brand, please).

My Mother a great cook, and I knew years ago if I'm gonna want to eat like this when I don't live there I'd better learn the favorites. So I cooked a lot with her when i was a Teen (even at the risk of being uncool, but even then I knw Cool was Overrated) and I can do some of her dishes as good and even improved a couple over the years. We make the best damned Corn Beef and Cabbage, Split Pea Soup, Apple Pie, and of Course Turky and Trimmings.

My Grandmother would jar or 'can' all kinds of friut but my favorite had the be cherries. We'd go the the orchard and pick a coulpe of bushel's full. Next time we went to visit there'd be jars full of canned cherries. Yumm!

Yep. My dads parents were rural Missouri farm people most of their lives, and its the canned fruits and jellies my grandmother used to make. Its funny, I didnt even remember that until I saw your post! She used to make really delicious preserves, jams, and jellies.

My Grandmother would jar or 'can' all kinds of friut but my favorite had the be cherries. We'd go the the orchard and pick a coulpe of bushel's full. Next time we went to visit there'd be jars full of canned cherries. Yumm!

I grew up in N.W. Michigan. My Mom and Aunt used to do the same. Fruits, vegetables, it didn't matter. If it would go in a Bell (Mason) jar, it got canned. We'd go to the orchards in Traverse City. Good stuff Maynard!

Anyone for freshly shot Rabbit lightly fried in Butter and White wine with some fresh Marjoram. Also great on a barbque.

Where you located, brother? I'm stuck in a metropolitan area where people don't eat anything good. I love driving back up north, because most of the stuff we ate was harvested by us. All of our friends had farms, so we'd buy a few cows and give them half of the meat to cover feed costs. There's really nothing like eating a steak that was mooing in the sunshine and clover yesterday. We also had venison year round, and my mom had a marinade for it - she'd soak them for a weekend, and then we'd have them with fresh potatoes and carrots on Monday night. I know most of the recipes just from cooking with her. She showed me how to make use of just about everything. My favorite was the blackberry barbecue sauce she used to make. I bust that one out every summer when we grill out with my in-laws. They like it so much that I don't bother telling them the secret identity of the "chicken" they're eating.

When I was a kid, my grandfather would stay with us over summers. Man, could he cook. His dad was a chef in Chicago, and he owned a sausage company down here in Florida. The thing I remember - besides the deliciousness - was that everything seemed to take three days to cook! Minestrone.. started by boiling bones for stock - took three days. Gnochi... started by boiling bones for stock - took three days. (For some reason if I spell gnochi correctly with two c's it censors it. WTF)

Anyway, it was crazy - but gooooooooood!

I moved from Arizona to Louisiana around 1982. I learned to eat in Lousiana.

Boiled crawfish, raw oysters, shrimp were free, just go throw a castnet. Catfish courtbullion. Boudin.

Luckily, I married my wife there before moving to Illinois, and she knows the tricks. Seafood up here is a joke.

But, we kill the biggest deer in Illinois.

Now I'm hungry......

If any of Ya'll want to Trade some recipes, Let me Know. I love to learn some new Rabbit, Seafood and Whatever Recipes. I love to eat and we don't go out to much anymore with the prices. My wife would rather Cook herself. Man give that lady a Glass of wine or strawberry daquiri And she's set. We go Strawberry picken every year in Pungo. Its allmost time. We freeze and can them. I got a Deer tenderloin and a couple Hams in the freezer if anyones got any good venison recipes. Let me know.

This past Christmas, my mom told me that either my sister or I would have to learn to make the cornbread dressing. We have both tried, but can't quite get it right. I think I'm getting close though cause I had the privilege of checking the seasoning and saying, "It needs more poultry seasoning and a touch more sage." (Everyone commented on how *good* the dressing smelled that year).

Of course the secret starts with good ol' southern, white corn meal, no sugar added cornbread. (Which I have pretty much mastered if anyone needs a hand).

Wine for your wife.

Might I suggest this wonderful winery?

Also' date=' their Bench Break Pinot Noir is a gold medal winner.

In 2003 we were giving it out as Christmas presents. I still have two bottles stashed away that I plan on drinking this summer.

Cambria Winery

Thank You. I'm going to have to try them. Were starting to try all sorts of wines and mixed drinks for varitey. I'm hooked here lately on this awsume Long Island Iced Tea. Also trying all these new micro brewery beers. I've found some new tastes that I like. Now If I can get some new recipes to try I'll be setten high on the hog.

This past Christmas' date=' my mom told me that either my sister or I would have to learn to make the cornbread dressing. We have both tried, but can't quite get it right. I think I'm getting close though cause I had the privilege of checking the seasoning and saying, "It needs more poultry seasoning and a touch more sage." (Everyone commented on how *good* the dressing smelled that year).

Of course the secret starts with good ol' southern, white corn meal, no sugar added cornbread. (Which I have pretty much mastered if anyone needs a hand).[/quote']

I love a good cornbread dressing with Honey Ham and Sweet Taters.

Archived