Gibson Brands Forums

We all get older, right?

sparquelito

Yeah.  I have a super huge lot and both my front and back yards are pretty large.  When we first moved here I could manage mowing all that lawn without a riding mower.  But for the last few years I had to hire someone to handle it all.  And I don't really miss mowing the lawn, but what I do miss is being able to.

Whitefang

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah.  I have a super huge lot and both my front and back yards are pretty large.  When we first moved here I could manage mowing all that lawn without a riding mower.  But for the last few years I had to hire someone to handle it all.  And I don't really miss mowing the lawn, but what I do miss is being able to.

Whitefang

My yard isn't "big" like yours, I'm sure.....but an acre in the Bay Area is 'big' relative to most houses here.

I've always had gardeners..... may be 4-5 different ones over the years I've lived here.

Current gardener charges me $300 a month....they (2-3 guys) come twice a month....no 'mow' just 'blow' and the pull weeds, trim bushes, etc.

Gardeners seem to do a good job at first, then slack off until I finally terminate them and get a new one.

Well, lah-tee-dah!

Never been in the tax bracket where I can hire "gardeners".  But when it got to where I had to hire someone to mow the lawns for me $50 every other week was the usual cost.  That included bagging clippings, clean up, edging.  Right now my nephew and his son do it for the same price.

Whitefang

22 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, lah-tee-dah!

Never been in the tax bracket where I can hire "gardeners".  But when it got to where I had to hire someone to mow the lawns for me $50 every other week was the usual cost.  That included bagging clippings, clean up, edging.  Right now my nephew and his son do it for the same price.

Whitefang

As Hyman Roth said in "The Godfather", "I'm a retired investor living on a pension."

I have no idea what to do with my back garden (yard). 

Since retiring I've cleared it. Uprooted trees and bushes until its under control. I had planned to remove the garage and get another house built there, but of course the local council wont grant planning permission even though they are bleating about not having enough housing. The councilors probably want greasing.

So together with my gardening help buddy, we keep it trimmed and mostly tidy, but its just an empty plot.  I know its beyond me (at my age) to landscape it and it will cost mega £k to get it done professionally. 

Also, I'm no gardener. I have grown onions, garlic etc. but only partially successfully. It works out cheaper just to buy that stuff rather than to grow it. Shrubs I've planted end up dying. Seedlings just get eaten by slugs. 

I used to like cutting my grass. I didn't have much. I took me about 45 minute with a mower. Now that I moved, all I have is a small front garden and I pay a landscaper to tend to it. Only because I have some bushes trimmed like corkscrews and I'm not artistic. For $400 bucks for the year, I'm not gonna complain. I removed the pool that came with the house and left a small patch just for a fig tree. I took a cutting from the tree I planted at my mom's house when I was 14 years old and planted it at the first house I bought. And , I took a cutting from that one to plant at this house. You can't be Italian and living in Brooklyn and not have a fig tree. It's an unwritten law.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 2

I have 3 acres of lawn at my house plus I own a mobile home across the road with 4.6 acres. Thankfully the lawn is only an acre or so, the rest is wooded or tall grass I bush hog once a year. I have a new Craftsman rider and a 1996 White and they are my preferred tools. I use one, my wife uses the other. If the “not currently raining” window is narrow I will use a 1946(?) Ford tractor with 6’ finish mower. It doesn’t do as pretty a job because of the tire tracks but it will make short work of a big lawn.

Yesterday I was removing the snow plow from my 1990 Ford truck. I bent the push plates (mounting hardware) last winter when I smashed into a big rock. Lots of rusty grade 8 bolts in locations not so easy to reach. Lots of contortion to my 62 year old fat inflexible frame. I prevailed but it was a task. My wife walked past and I said to her, “this is not a job for an old man.” She replied, “good thing you’re not an old man!”

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 6:55 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

When in the military I never did anything risky at all. 

Once I floated around on my Navy ship in the Persian Gulf when we had to go over and fight this guy named Sodomy Insane. 6 months of my life I can't get back. But hey I got to go to Thailand before and after the war. 

Thanks for your service Sgt. Our son was in the Navy and did 2 missions over seas in Bahrain. One a year and the other 6 months. Told me stories of it. He was on a mine sweeper but also did time on land.

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

We get older, but do we get wiser?  Most of us do, but for me that doesn’t mean we have to grow-up.

My grandfather, (born 4-20-1889) was a man of few words....and even fewer jokes.

He once told me, "Some folks the older they get the wiser they get...other's, the older they get, the older they get."

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

We get older, but do we get wiser?  Most of us do, but for me that doesn’t mean we have to grow-up.

We are born and we poop in a diaper. When at the end of our life we will be doing the same. 

Becoming senile is just another way of saying no you do not become wiser with age. 

• Thanks 1

Spent 10 hours in the backyard with another guy staining our new 6' cedar picket privacy fence.  104 - 'feels like was' probably at least 110.   Took longer to recover than it would have if I were half my age.  This year also, for the first time cutting lawns for 50 years (my parents, then mine)  I turned it over to a 'professional'.  The going rate here is $50 a pop - twice a month.   I missed it the first couple of times - but as WhiteFang said - mostly I miss being able to do it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CROWB8 said:

We get older. For some, parents have passed and we now hold grandkids. There's only one kind of rich. Family. Loving and being loved.

I agree.... both my parents have been gone for quite a while..... thought I'd never have grandkids....then our only son 'woke up', got sober, finished college, got various jobs in the IT sect....now a manager at Apple.....three wonderful grandkids..... I have a beautiful and loving wife (45 years), living comfortably on my investments from a career that lasted 53 years...I'm rich man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I agree.... both my parents have been gone for quite a while..... thought I'd never have grandkids....then our only son 'woke up', got sober, finished college, got various jobs in the IT sect....now a manager at Apple.....three wonderful grandkids..... I have a beautiful and loving wife (45 years), living comfortably on my investments from a career that lasted 53 years...I'm rich man!

I checked out of life for a while living on the streets practicing to be a career criminal via drugs. Only smart thing I did was hock all my guns and not have kids. Emotionaly paying for not having kids. But I'm hard at work being the worlds best uncle and granduncle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

I checked out of life for a while living on the streets practicing to be a career criminal via drugs. Only smart thing I did was hock all my guns and not have kids. Emotionaly paying for not having kids. But I'm hard at work being the worlds best uncle and granduncle.

God Bless your recovery.... all our lives are complicated....and none of us are or were perfect!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Seems right.

I'd be surprised by what various people define as "rich".....probably as varied as our coffee rigs!

Yep.

He always said you can easily tell a rich person from a poor person. The ones who "act" like they have money don't, and the ones who act like they're broke are the ones with the money.

It's still mostly true 50 years later.

• Haha 1